ok so i had a little bedroom jamming last night and probably quit around 8.... turned my standby switch on to let the tubes cool for a couple of minutes before i turned off the power switch...well...i just got out of the shower to still see my 'lead' light on..crap!!!

well i turned it off...the chassis didnt feel too hot, i guess they cooled fine..just wondering if a lot of people forget?

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
I've never forgot. I always make sure that I turn both the standby and power switches off, then unplug it from the wall to prevent anybody accidentally knocking a switch on.
No harm done, don't worry about it.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Standby HEATS UP tubes, it DOESN'T cool them. Just so you know.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
iv done it once or twice, cos the power light on my amp is busted, so it can slip your mind
Ibanez RGT42FM w/duncans
Musuc Man JP6, fully loaded
Crybaby 95Q
Boss DD6
Mesa DC-5
Quote by loonyguitarist
Standby HEATS UP tubes, it DOESN'T cool them. Just so you know.

+1.
TS is an idiot for putting on them on standby, when he could have just turned it straight off - and this whole thing wouldn't have happened.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
^Actually he's not. Ever tried turning it straight off? You often get a big POP from the amp. This is from the caps discharging straight. While not damaging the amp, it can DEFENTLY harm your speaker.

And yes I've done it. No harm will be done, just having used the tubes more really.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^^ how is he an idiot for putting it on standby? the manual for my amp says to put the amp on stanby to let it heat up before playing and put it back onto standby for a few mins before turning it off, dont know if its to let the valves cool a bit before turning it off alltogether but following the advise from the manual doesnt make someone an idiot

edit : Gabel beat me to the post
Someone please explain to me how putting it in standby after use is heating them up?

When the tubes are cold, isnt it supposed to heat them up? Then when you start playing, especially louder, they will get very hot. Then when you switch it back to standby it still keeps them hot, but not nearly as hot as when you're playing, therefore "cooling" them.

Am i right?
I turn my volume off, then turn if off completely.
Although, I guess putting it in standby THEN turning the power (with no gap between) is sensible.
But not waiting 5 minutes for them to 'cool'.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
^Turning on the power switch turns on the tubes heater supply. The heater supply is what keeps the tubes hot and draws most of the current. Turning off standby adds high voltage to the tube but it doesn't add that much current. Turning on standby takes the high voltage off the tubes but the heaters are still on and the tubes stay hot. Not as hot as they would be if you had high voltage on them too, but they are still hot. So yeah... You are right.

Quote by Gabel
^Actually he's not. Ever tried turning it straight off? You often get a big POP from the amp. This is from the caps discharging straight. While not damaging the amp, it can DEFENTLY harm your speaker.

And yes I've done it. No harm will be done, just having used the tubes more really.

A lot of amps, like all blackface and silverface fenders, give you the same pop when you flip the standby switch. When your caps charge the amps rectifier has a large current draw on it if you have a tube rectifier this temporary short causes the tube to burn out years sooner. Wiring the amp the way a blackface amp is wired saves your tube rectifier which is why fender did it. I've never heard of anybody damaging a speaker simply because they were using a blackface amp.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by Simsimius
+1.
TS is an idiot for putting on them on standby, when he could have just turned it straight off - and this whole thing wouldn't have happened.

no i meant reverse...to turn my standby switch on means im putting it on stanby...as in, so i cna switch guitars or such....to turn my switch "on" i have to click the switch left, just like my power switch....

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by Gabel

This happens to me all the time but I don't have a standby switch...
Yesterday I tried turning EVERYTHING down to zero, even on my guitar and for the first time, it didn't happen. Guess that was my problem?
Quote by CorduroyEW
^Turning on the power switch turns on the tubes heater supply. The heater supply is what keeps the tubes hot and draws most of the current. Turning off standby adds high voltage to the tube but it doesn't add that much current. Turning on standby takes the high voltage off the tubes but the heaters are still on and the tubes stay hot. Not as hot as they would be if you had high voltage on them too, but they are still hot. So yeah... You are right.

A lot of amps, like all blackface and silverface fenders, give you the same pop when you flip the standby switch. When your caps charge the amps rectifier has a large current draw on it if you have a tube rectifier this temporary short causes the tube to burn out years sooner. Wiring the amp the way a blackface amp is wired saves your tube rectifier which is why fender did it. I've never heard of anybody damaging a speaker simply because they were using a blackface amp.

Well true, however, on some amp it can harm your speaker. Depends on your amp. When I ran my Plexi cranked and turned it off staright away, the pop was loud and not VERY comfortable at all...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009