I've just been mindlessly unscrewing stuff from my cheapo epiphone les paul junior and i noticed that the tone pot says "A500Kohm" and the volume pot says "B500Kohm".

I know what the 500Kohm thing is, but A and B? can anyone explain that? or is it not really worth asking about?

edit: and while i'm on the subject of this guitar, where in the UK can i get a cheap 4-wire humbucker for messing around with? this guitar isn't really worth getting an expensive pickup because its made of plywood.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Aug 22, 2008,
Maybe they label their pots A and B (and maybe C, D etc. in other models) even though they're identical . It doesn't make much sense, but thats the only explanation I can think of.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
that letter denotes the taper, i.e. those the resistance rise linearly or in another way

the volume pot has got logarithmic taper because of how our hearing works
the tone put is linear

never remember which letter is which as there a couple of different systems for marking them but it appears the A is linear and B is log in your case

read up: http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/potsecrets/potscret.htm
http://sound.westhost.com/pots.htm
ok, thanks for the advice on the pots

I was aware of the linear/logarithm tapers, i'd just never them labelled like that before. I suspected it was something like that, although i didn't know you were supposed to use liner for tone and logarithmic for volume - makes sense though.

About humbuckers: I've found irongears which cost about £25, and some on axesrus that are about £21 but they don't specify whether its 4-conductor or not - i want to mess with series/parallel/coil split and phasing, just for the hell of it really.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.