I just picked up a gorgeous Peavey Triple XXX head for $300 USD. Considering it's a $1200 amp new I think i got a good deal. It's in pristine condition and I bought it off a friend.

It has 6L6GC tubes in it if i'm not mistaken but I hear you can put in EL34's. I don't know much about the triple xxx aside from the fact that it has a real nice provision for checking bias .

Anyone know anything about these amps?

I also picked up a Marshall JCM2000 TSL60... should be delivered on Monday... now I need a cabinet... I'm using the 2x12 from my Laney combo amp right now
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
A Triple XXX is a pretty hi-gain head. Havent heard much about its clean settings, though. I think there is a converter so you can use different tubes, called a Yellow Jacket. Check it out, idk what tube it replaces. A good cab, if you want a 2x12, and have some money, is a Marshall 1936.
after doing some more reading, it has an EL34 switch and putting cooler preamp tubes in it will give it more of a marshall sound. I kinda like the way it sounds now but I'm sure the tubes are stock so I may change them out for some JJ's or something.

I want to get a 4x12 but there are so many speaker choices... I just don't know . I'd like to get a Mesa Standard cabinet but it's just so much $$$ I can't see it being worth that much.

I might build a cabinet... I'm pretty good with woodworking

Oh and from the Laney with H/H speakers, the clean channel isn't too bad. I wouldn't say it's as clean as a fender but it's definitely as clean as my Laney (solid state GC120) with the gain setting at about 5... it's kinda funny, the Laney's overdrive channel sounds almost like the crunch channel on the Triple XXX and it's solidstate... maybe i'm just getting old and going deaf...
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Last edited by nuthinbuttrubl8 at Aug 22, 2008,