Well..
I know this is not really a build. (Partscaster)
A couple of months ago i decided to build a guitar. As most people do, i got excited about building a guitar and started buying parts for 2 guitars.

So I started buying the parts. And just today all of the parts have arrived.. except for one neck and a pickguard

So any way. Here are the specs for my first Guitar:
Blue Pine wood(?) body <<Cheap stuff
Maple Neck
Rosewood Fret board, Shark fin inlays
Cheap Floyd Rose knock off (overlord of music).
Very cheap Humbuckers.
3x A500k Pots (2 volumes, 1 tone)
Brushed Metal Pickguard (hasn't arrived yet)
Chrome or Black Metal Dome knobs (haven't decided)
3 way switch

For the Second Guitar.....
Red possibly alder body (I would have no idea though)
Maple Neck
Rosewood Fret board, dot inlays.
Licensed Floyd Rose
Custom Wound Single Coil Pickups (Neck and Middle) Hotrails in bridge.
A250K Pots
White Pickguard
Chrome or Black metal dome knobs (haven't decided)
5 way switch
Killswitch

So heres what everyone loves.... the pictures...

The Floyds (these pics are pretty shocking )

The pickguard with the humbuckers. There are two sets of single coils I know. I am going to sell the set (beside the hotrails) that are in there now.

The Guitar bodys and the neck for the blue one. The lines on the blue guitar are just light lines which i am going to colour in with paint pen then clear coat it.

Everything all together!

Any comments and whatever appreciated!
Looking good!

Are you sure that Jackson style neck is gonna fit in that blue body? I got a new Strat body yesterday and tried putting a Jackson neck I had lying around in it in but the hell width was totally different.

If you need new necks I've got a link that might be helpful to you (for maple 22 fret floyd rose strat necks).
^ Yeah the neck fits. Heres some pics as to what i've done to the blue guitar over the weekend.

Floyd Rose (more of an ibanez edge) knock off lined up and routed out. Tuners and locking nut routed out and screwed in. Couldv'e actually finished the guitar this weekend but I didn't have any paint pens or clear coat, pickguard (getting a nice stainless steel pickguard made for me. getting it wednesday! for Free!) laquer (laquer for the neck. is this good for the back and fretboard? any other recommendations?)

Also with the pickups (blue guitar) i'm thinking Neck = 4000 ohms reverse wound reverse polarity. Middle = 6000 ohms Normaly wound. Bridge = 16000 ohms (Hotrails)
Last edited by guitarcam123 at Aug 25, 2008,
thats looking awesome, ill be doing a strat build my self real soon, except im just painting a strat knock off body and buying a neck and other assorted stuff
but looking good, more pics!
Quote by guitarcam123

Floyd Rose (more of an ibanez edge) knock off lined up and routed out. Tuners and locking nut routed out and screwed in. Couldv'e actually finished the guitar this weekend but I didn't have any paint pens or clear coat, pickguard (getting a nice stainless steel pickguard made for me. getting it wednesday! for Free!) laquer (laquer for the neck. is this good for the back and fretboard? any other recommendations?)

Don't put lacquer on the fretboard! If that's rosewood (it looks like it is, correct me if I'm wrong), just leave it bare, maybe put some fretboard oil on it. If the back of the neck is bare wood, lacquer will be fine for that though. Just mask off the fretboard.
Personally, I like the feel of a bare wood (no lacquer) neck, so I'd recommend not lacquering it at all - sand the back of the neck up to 2000 grit or more (I've got the micro-mesh papers from stewmac, and used those). I find necks done that way play REALLY well. I guess it's just personal preference, though.

Also, one last thing - make sure that the intonation will be okay with that neck! Fender typically used 25.5 inch scale length, your neck might be different than that. If that's the case, you want to find out now, before you get too much done. (It happened to me once, after I had painted, wired, etc, and it was a huge pain).

Looks great, though. That pickguard is gonna look kick ass!
^ thanks. Yeah i know about the scale. The blue guitar is slightly off . But its just a cheap experimental build before i start building from scratch. and im guessing it just makes fret buzz? because thats all that i have noticed with it while playing a few notes on it. Is there anyway to fix the scale? maybe sand down the neck under the fretboard where it bolts on?
Also im going to get my name engraved on the pickguard!
That pick guard will look totaly sweet! Post picks of it when you can. I have no clue how to fix the scale though, but im thinking of doing something a bit like this later this year/next year.
ok..
i got the pickguard early! and it looks sweet! Everythings screwed in and ready to be wired up. But we just have to file it one bit down just a little bit! Dad and I have come up with a way to fix the scale. We are going to either sand down or route out the maple bit of the neck as it only needs to be moved about 1cm or so.
I will post pics this weekend. It should hopefully be finished by this weekend. Depends on how long the laquer takes to dry!
Quote by guitarcam123
^ thanks. Yeah i know about the scale. The blue guitar is slightly off . But its just a cheap experimental build before i start building from scratch. and im guessing it just makes fret buzz? because thats all that i have noticed with it while playing a few notes on it. Is there anyway to fix the scale? maybe sand down the neck under the fretboard where it bolts on?
Also im going to get my name engraved on the pickguard!

If the intonation is off, whenever you play a note, it will be out of tune.
You might be able to fix it on the bridge (http://projectguitar.com/tut/intonate.htm explains the better than I could :P ). If you can't fix it with the bridge, you either have to route the neck pocket a bit (easiest method, in my opinion, it's what I did) or move the bridge. Moving the bridge will be a HUGE pain, though, so I'd recommend routing the pocket a bit.