Few questions about downstroke, upstroke or alternate picking.

If your playing rhythym is alternate or hybrid or anything other then basic downstrokes important? Also does it matter whether you down or up? Like is there a clear difference in the sound? I can't tell.
it definately matters and there is a difference in the sound. try playing 4 downstrokes and then go up down up down. then up down down up. you'll hear the difference
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
yup, your picking style does matter a lot. using all up or downstrokes as opposed alternate would give your playing a different feel and playing speed.for example listen to the wanton song by Led Zeppelin and you'll see what i mean. it won't sound right without alternate picking.
I see know it seems to flow better, anyone know any good lessons on alternate picking chords or multiple string? I get it fine on one string but more then 2 it just sounds like ass.

Also in tablature how do you know when its and up or down stroke, like alot of tabs on this site don't specify, or on a guitar program how can you tell?(like sheet music).
its kind of hard to explain in words but what i did was make a D chord then alternate pick in this pattern: 4th string, 1st,3rd,1st,2nd, 1st and just keep repeating and as you get better change chords as well
Quote by shk89
its kind of hard to explain in words but what i did was make a D chord then alternate pick in this pattern: 4th string, 1st,3rd,1st,2nd, 1st and just keep repeating and as you get better change chords as well

I mean like playing multiple Chords like in a sheet of music there will be like 5 chords in a row. Downstroke one chord up the next, like that, just need technique on how to do that without it sounding like ****.
Quote by stevve
I see know it seems to flow better, anyone know any good lessons on alternate picking chords or multiple string? I get it fine on one string but more then 2 it just sounds like ass.

Also in tablature how do you know when its and up or down stroke, like alot of tabs on this site don't specify, or on a guitar program how can you tell?(like sheet music).

Are you talking about strumming for rythem or alt picking arpegios (sorry for spelling) ? Either way the anwser is slow practice and only increase your speed when you play the part clean and with perfect techinique just like anything esle. If you could be more specific with an example we could better guide you.

EDIT it sounds like your talking about strumming which is different then alt picking. Alt picking means to me when you playing notes and strumming playing many strings. You need to get an ear for it. Play some easy chord songs and listen to the strumming and detect up and down strums. They sound different. Then try to emulate this slowly on your own. It takes time i had trouble at first too. Try pink floyd - wish you were hear. Thats pritty easy to hear the pattern and not to fast and all basic chords you probably already have down. Just work on hearing the strumming with your ear.

Tabliture doesnt usually specify this and i rememeber being frustrated this same way long ago. Just keep working on it this is a common problem your not alone. Your ear will develop with practice. Try to listen to hear ups and downs in strumming songs on the radio when your in your car too.
Last edited by /-\liceNChains at Aug 22, 2008,
Really when it comes to a person's strum during a chordy rhythm it's not so much the sound but the feel try just strumming a G up down up down then go down down up up up it sounds way more folky and possibly country. It's all about synchopation a downstroke to a guitarist is a right hand stroke during a roll for a drummer and the up is the left hand stroke.