By this I mean how would go about writing a song in their style using the main tennants of what makes tool - tool!

It seems the Bass often defines the melody whereas the guitar often not only acts as the rhythm but, more closely than most other songs, replicates the exact drum beats.

What do you guys think?
One of the first things that came to mind was hammered, palm-muted, triplets.
Well, if you haven't done it already (and you should've), go find every guitar pro file/tab for every Tool you can possibly get hold of, and study them.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Actually being Tool would be a good start.

Otherwise you shouldn't try, just aim to write music and see what comes out.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Actually being Tool would be a good start.

Otherwise you shouldn't try, just aim to write music and see what comes out.

^ good point.

Tool is Tool. so don't be a tool... be yourself.

but seriously if you had some kind of a writing gig where you had to sound like a particular band, then it makes sense to cop their sound. To do that you basically have to immerse yourself in their music. Listen to and learn there songs. Use your own brain to figure out what the defining aspects are. Then utilize those aspects in your own creation.
shred is gaudy music
Since I'm not an expert on music theory much less anything to do with crazy time signatures Tool use I can't help you much on the theory end.

But here are some techniques to keep in mind.

Drop D Tuning- Almost every Tool song uses it.

Palm mute- Palm mute a lot! Try playing phrases that alternate between muting and unmuted.

Use an open D5 frequently.

Tremelo pick power chords high up on the neck

And my personal favorite: Try a rapid series of Pull ons and hammer offs on 3 and 5 on the the low E A and D string. You can hear this technique used at the end of Schism and Vicarious.
Quote by GuitarMunky
^ good point.

Tool is Tool. so don't be a tool... be yourself.

I've always been reticent about buying a Tool shirt, I mean the bands pretty good but then people will be like "haha, he's such a tool his tshirt says it"

as for riffs, just think up interesting rhythms and apply them to power chords, you don't need to move your left hand around a lot
Quote by seljer
I've always been reticent about buying a Tool shirt, I mean the bands pretty good but then people will be like "haha, he's such a tool his tshirt says it"

as for riffs, just think up interesting rhythms and apply them to power chords, you don't need to move your left hand around a lot

I always thought that was the funny thing about Tool: All their fans are walking around with the word Tool on them.

I'm surprised the amount of people that don't get it. The last time I saw Tool in concert Maynard pumped up the crowd and then said "Repeat after me. Think for yourself. Question authority."

And most people repeated it without even thinking about it. I couldn't help but laugh.

Trust me dude the best way you can be like Tool is to be yourself.