I bought a guild gad-25 acoustic last summer it sounded awesome but over time it seems to be sounding kinda flat and less "in your face". Ive tried different strings the shop reccommended elixers tried them now ive got the new medium earnie ball acoustic strings and it still sounds flatter than it used to. Anyone know how this could happen?
Maybe your bridge is starting to pop out from humidity? That's the first thing that comes to mind...or you could just be so used to the sound that it doesn't sound like it used to, if that makes sense.
Clear wax from ears...?
Suhr Rasmus S-100
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster Classic Player 60s
Fender Telecaster Baja
PRS Tremonti SE
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Yamaha LL6 Acoustic
Blackstar HT1R
Boss GT-10
Digitech Jamman
Yea I was thinking if I was just getting used to it but then I was like na it was definitely better than this when I bought it. If it is the bridge is there any way to fix it or am I putting it up for sale before it gets any worse? lol
I de-waxed my ears a couple days ago, it made a bit of a difference but not much
Man, too many ppl piped in while I was typing. Wax in your ears? Come on you guys, you can do better than!
Humidity, humidity, humidity!
Where do you live Jason? If it's anywhere like here in Minnesota, then it's the high humidity season and acoustic guitars suffer a loss of sound if not kept at the correct level, which is about 45% rH. If an acoustic guitar is allowed to become over humidified, the wood will swell and for one throw off tuning and intonation, but for another it will hamper the woods ability to resonate. It's like it's being muffled because the wood it too moist. The opposite happens in the winter, the wood will tend to dry out and become more twangy sounding, besides the obvious things like distorted soundboards, shrinking fretboards causing sharp fret ends and so on.
So bottom line, try to get the guitar to proper humidity levels and take it from there. 45% is your target and it might take a few days of being at the right level to come around.
Last edited by LeftyDave at Aug 22, 2008,
^ I was just going to ask him if it was over humidified.

Other than having old strings, the only thing I could think of that would cause what you are talking about is if it is too humid.

If you need to dehumidify, you can use silica gel.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Thanks guys so relieved its the humidity. Its so humid here in the summer I hate going outside if it doesnt involve a lake. So how do I use the silica gel, do I just put it in the case and keep the guitar in the case when Im not playing it, or is there a better way?
No no no, no silica gel. For one, you have no control over how much moisture they absorb, and for another, for them to be effective, you'd have to put A LOT of them inside the body of the guitar.
Get the room that the guitar is stored in to the right humidity levels and let nature take it's course. Air conditioners do a great job of removing moisture as well as cooling the air. If it's bad enough(high humidity I mean) then you should have a de-humidifier running.
Right on thats easy enough. Ive been keeping it at my girlfriends sauna apartment, so Im gonna leave it at my parents air conditioned house for a while.
With respect to Dave, could it be the strings? Even if you tried different ones, if they were different to the originals then it'd still sound different.
Silica Gel works just fine for a quick fix. A couple little packets inside the case is a good short term solution.

Obviously, controlling the humidity of the whole environment is ideal, but not everyone can afford to put in AC or a dehumidifier.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
dr5euss, yes, but re-read his original post and think harder. He said he bought the guitar last summer, and I gathered it was from a store because he went back asking questions and bought other strings. This tells me that while the guitar was in the store, it was in a controlled environment. So he get's it home, then summer turns to fall, then to winter and then spring, no problems. Now it's summer again, but the guitar has been out of that nice cozy controlled environment for a while, was probably thirsty from the dry winter, and now it's drinking up loads of water and becoming a bit saturated with moisture, and losing it's sound in the process. Then a few posts down, he as much as admits to keeping the guitar in a high humidity environment, his g/f's apartment. Strings could do it, but if the guitar were to be properly humidified, even a poor brand of new strings would make it sound good again. Summertime just plain sucks when it comes to taking care of a guitar. I find it a lot easier to add moisture, at a controlled rate, in the winter than it is to keep removing it in the summer. Even though winter is a bytch when it comes to taking guitars outside. brrrrrr.

slide, the problem with silica gel packs is that they are designed for a small localized area, and can't do much for a larger volume of air such as inside a guitar. Not only that, unless you could suspend them somehow, wherever they were to lay, they would dry out the wood to the extreme, causing very very dry spots here and there, while not doing much else for the rest. I'm talking about using them inside the body of the guitar itself, not just in the case, if he has one. Luckily, it sounds like he can just keep it at his folks house and it should bounce right back.
Last edited by LeftyDave at Aug 22, 2008,
Of course it could be humidity, especially if kept it a nylon or plastic soft case[?] Guitars are fairly tolerant of a certain amount of humidity change.

Maybe the guitar has just mellowed out a bit after a year of playing. If the problem was structural. like a lifting bridge or something, surely the owner can spot it [?]
Make sure to keep it in this comfortable temperature area too, because a similar thing happened to my acoustic after two years. I kept it in a relatively warm place during the winter and a relatively cool place during the summer, but after two years, humidity still got to it, and the bridge was no longer usable because string replacing was almost impossible. Long story shot, I got a replacement guitar. Thankfully, the store I got it replaced at was understanding and gave me a free guitar.