I know its silly, but I need a cheap attenuator for a Epi Valve Junior head/cab. How much do these run and where should I look? I don't know what to look for.. they have different watts and stuff, it confuses me. The valve jr is 5 watts tho.
You want a Valve Junior quieter? I thought their main virtue was that they were a quiet tube amp?
Quote by Meddled
You want a Valve Junior quieter? I thought their main virtue was that they were a quiet tube amp?

that's what a I thought...even though they are loud still
buy a danelectro fish n chips, and turn the volume on that down alot but keep the volume up on ur epi stack so u can play quiet but get the tones of the cranked epi.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Quote by gtr_101
buy a danelectro fish n chips, and turn the volume on that down alot but keep the volume up on ur epi stack so u can play quiet but get the tones of the cranked epi.

I wouldn't recommend a cheap plastic pedal to compensate for a good high quality attenuator.
No doing that with the eq would not give you the cranked tube amp sound because all you'd be doing is saturating the preamp tube, but not the power amp.

The only way to saturate power tubes and have the low volume you want is to get an attenuator.

I'd recommend the Weber MiniMass, its one of the best and least expensive.
Yes, I realize that I want to make it quieter. Unfortunately, I don't have a choice. I can crank it to half way or even 3 quarters, but only for 5 minutes and my parents can't stand it, all the neighbors hear and the cats go crazy. I love the tone and natural OD though, so I want to get an attenuator.. and That pedal doesn't seem like a good idae. I need some info on attenuators.
Quote by yoyodunno
No doing that with the eq would not give you the cranked tube amp sound because all you'd be doing is saturating the preamp tube, but not the power amp.

The only way to saturate power tubes and have the low volume you want is to get an attenuator.

I'd recommend the Weber MiniMass, its one of the best and least expensive.

What wattage do I need if my amp is 5w? :s
You could get either the Minimass or Micromass from this page..i actually didn't know about the micro mass before.

For attenuators, you should get one that is rated at least 1.5 of the wattage of your amp, so above 7.5w is at least what you need, so any of the attenuators on that page will work just depends what features you want.
Quote by gtr_101

that wouldnt help at all.
you amp wouldnt be getting hit with a loud signal. it wouldnt break up.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
i use a bad monkey for low volume classic rock tones and a metal muff for low volume metal tones with my vj.
Yep people do use those in wall attenuators on small guitar amps. I have an adjustable L-pad which is a volume control made to go after an amplifier. It works OK with my valve junior but it sucks the highs when bought down to low levels. I compensate for the loss of highs with an eq pedal but idealy I should add a capacitor across the L-Pad to allow some of the highs to by pass the L-pad. The L-Pad I have is rated at 50 watts but it is not safe to use with a larger tubes amp due to the higher current drive of tubes amps. I do also use one with my Traynor YCV20 (15watt) but it gets hot real fast and I would not recomend others to use one with a larger amp without understanding the risks. The one in my vj has been there for over a year does not get very hot and has been used everyday until I bought the Traynor.
Last edited by stujomo at Aug 22, 2008,
Quote by stewart91
why dont u buy a cube, really

Why downgrade to SS?
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
Why downgrade to SS?

Because if a VJ is too loud and is 5w tube, there is no point getting a tube amp. An attenuator on a VJ would suck the tone. So at least with something like a Cube or Valvetronix, he has a range of tones at a quiet volume.
Quote by AdamDK
Because if a VJ is too loud and is 5w tube, there is no point getting a tube amp. An attenuator on a VJ would suck the tone. So at least with something like a Cube or Valvetronix, he has a range of tones at a quiet volume.

I don't think so. I haven't tried an attenuator, but the youtube stuff is pretty good with the Weber 25 watt. Like others have said however, the volume on my POD doesn't do a thing to tone it just lowers the volume. What would be the worst case scenario though? The tone would get sucked down to SS amp values? He's got a good amp, changing to an SS isn't a good solution.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I love the tone and natural OD though,

Is that not what he said?

He likes the sound of TUBE overdrive. Who doesn't?

I say get the attenuator, and an EQ pedal. I think you'd be happy, and not to mention, you could get a much larger variety of tones.

Don't go SS. You won't be happy with the dry tone since you already have a tube amp.
I'll give a nod towards a weber minimass. I have one and it works very well. There is a bit of tone suckage when fully attenuated.

Since the VJ is very low wattage you'd hardly have to attenuate it at all so I'd be willing to bet you'd have also most no tone loss.

In short, they work great I've been extremely pleased with mine the whole time I've had it.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Ultimate Attenuator
http://richmusic.dmusic.com

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."
Quote by Kevin Saale

Since the VJ is very low wattage you'd hardly have to attenuate it at all so I'd be willing to bet you'd have also most no tone loss.

Would that premise work the same as if I used a 100w attenuator on a classic 30 compared to using a 50w one? The specific models I'm looking at are the 100w Mass Lite and the 50w Mini Mass if it matters.
Gear:

Peavey Classic 30
Vox AC4TV
Epiphone G-400 1968 w/ Mean 90
FullTone OCD V4
BYOC 250+ (Dist. +)
Marshall Regenerator
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Quote by alucarDuo
Would that premise work the same as if I used a 100w attenuator on a classic 30 compared to using a 50w one? The specific models I'm looking at are the 100w Mass Lite and the 50w Mini Mass if it matters.

Nah, i think what he means is that since the 5w amp is gonna be quieter than a bigger amp, then it may only need to be attenuated like 50 % to get the desired volume. Where a bigger amp to get to bedroom volume you'd need to attenuate more to get to the desired volume which would result in more tone loss.
I have a Valve Jr with a Weber Mass Lite as seen here...

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/masslite.htm

If this one would have been available when I ordered, it would be with me now...

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/massiii.htm

My reason for wanting the Mass III? It has a full tone-stack on the attenuated signal. The Mass Lite like I have now works kind of the same way but only has a Mid-Bass and Mid-Treble knobs. It works great and I would not trade for it but I do wish I had the Mass III. It may end up at my address before too long

I have found that I would not want to play without the Weber Attenuator. Not only does it do as advertised but it makes a great noise-gate when you crank it up with a pedal. My Boss OD-20 Drive Zone sounds so sweet through the little Epi. Especially with the amp models.

Just my .02

Chris