ok sooo... i know that to do a solo you chose a scale in the same key as the song. but how do you... umm... how do you chose powerchords to in the same key of your song to make your main riff? i may not even be asking the right question or in the right way... im a little confused. thanks for any help yall
try them out to see which ones sound good.

they dont even have to be musically correct (chances are they will be)

But, play it by ear, you could even pick 4 chords by there names, without hearing them together, and say "this is my chord progression"

Chances are it will sound okay...

so you could for example look at the Am scale

And pick for your chord progression, Am, G, F5, E

Then play through the chords, in which ever order you like

And hey presto

I hope that kinda helps
Gear:

Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Fender Telecaster USA
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sheraton
Jackson KE3 Kelly Pro
Boss Super Chorus
Boss Super Overdrive
MXR Carbon Copy
Morley Pro Series Wah/Volume/Distortion
t.bone wireless system.
some songs are just 3 chords. for example U2's desire is D A E. The verse is D A E A E and then the chorus is D A and then back to the verse riff. This is a very simple song. Not sure if that offers any help.
I always write the song, then the solos..
I never write a solo, and play rhytmguitar that fits to the solo, if that's what you were wondering.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Quote by sowhat360
some songs are just 3 chords. for example U2's desire is D A E. The verse is D A E A E and then the chorus is D A and then back to the verse riff. This is a very simple song. Not sure if that offers any help.
That song would be in D then.

Actually, it'd be in A.
its weird that the chord progression i mentioned was actually the chord progression in U2's "staring at the sun"

and all the other comments are about U2 lol...
Gear:

Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Fender Telecaster USA
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sheraton
Jackson KE3 Kelly Pro
Boss Super Chorus
Boss Super Overdrive
MXR Carbon Copy
Morley Pro Series Wah/Volume/Distortion
t.bone wireless system.