do i change out my strings on a used guitar. when i play the intro to one (metallica) it sounds out of tune but i check everything and its all in tune. i got some earnie ball 10 13 17 26 36 and 46 custom gauge. should i change or ignore. every other song sounds great.
Originally Posted by bchoun
Whenever I went to take a dump, I would sit on the toilet facing the tank. I always thought the tank was an arm rest so I would rest my arms on it.
are they brown and rusty? on a used guitar id always take off teh strings and clean the neck for any finger marks or w/e
Fender Stratocaster Mexican
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Peavy 112 Valve King 50 Watt Tube Amp

Boss Giga Delay DD20
Boss Overdrive DS20
Boss Compression Sustainer CS-3
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Boss Chorus CS-1
Boss Pedal Board BCB-60
ive cleaned it. but now that u mention the strings do look dirty. its more a dirt substance. comes off with my fingernail
only on the D G B strings ( i had to change out E cuz it broke)
Whenever I went to take a dump, I would sit on the toilet facing the tank. I always thought the tank was an arm rest so I would rest my arms on it.
i tune it every time i pull it out.....
Change the strings and then check intonation.
Moving on.....
ight
i think ( i once a similiar problem but the guitar wa sjuts like that when i gto from the store), change the strings but before that bring it to a professional and get the innontation or the tension or the truss rod checked, idk what they did to mine, but they messed with the truss rod and it was good to go
Current Gear:
New York Pro - 5 String Beaut
Some tom delonge green strat my friend made
Boss GT-6
Eden DC210XLT Metro Bass Combo 500W (if anyone else has this model and has any insight about it, do pm me)
i just changed the low E from wut came with it to a earnie ball custom gauge 46 and it sounds dirtier. should i switch bak or go along with it
I'd guess truss rod. Change of strings + truss rod adjustment = playable guitar.

Wait, does it have a floyd rose?
Megadeth > Metallica
Gibson > Fender
Randy Rhoads > Everybody

Quote by gamenerd323
451f you sig is the truest thing in the world

My sig > Yours
so itll b ok if i change strings now and bring it in for an adjustment soon?

no floyd rose
Last edited by FileDeleted at Aug 22, 2008,
ok then, chances are it's a truss rod/intonation problem.
Megadeth > Metallica
Gibson > Fender
Randy Rhoads > Everybody

Quote by gamenerd323
451f you sig is the truest thing in the world

My sig > Yours
Fender: Squier Bullet. Special edition..
yeah i think it needs a truss rod adjustment. its hard to tune the D G B strings. the new and the old.
Quote by FileDeleted
do i change out my strings on a used guitar. when i play the intro to one (metallica) it sounds out of tune but i check everything and its all in tune. i got some earnie ball 10 13 17 26 36 and 46 custom gauge. should i change or ignore. every other song sounds great.

are you not just playing it wrong?
HADOUKEN!! Click For UG's Street Fighter Group

Quote by synpet713192

I'd never seen you around until very recently, but this and the other pic have caused me to worship you
Stop with the truss rod suggestions already people! It is not a fix all for everything wrong or potentially wrong with a guitar! Where did everyone on here get this notion to go around cranking away on their truss rods? It's there to compensate for the pull of the strings on the neck and provide a bit of inward clearance under the strings to the fretboard. THAT'S IT! It's not an intonation fix, it's not an action fix, it's not a tuner!
Or, listen to the people who suggest to turn the truss rod some bogus number, strip out the nut, have a useless truss rod, and have every string hitting the frets now when all you're trying to play is an E chord. You have been warned.