Page 1 of 2
Ok so about 5 months ago i went and saw a psychiatrist for depression, he didnt really solve anything instead he just threw a months worth of prozac at me.

I didnt take it because i thought i would eventually come out of it. Well after movinng 3 hrs away to a new city and high school were i dont know a soul i realize thats not going to happen.

I think my only real chance to come out of this 3 year long depression ive been in is to find a girl to validate me but i dont see that happening. The first potential contact ive had with a girl that might be considered more than just friendly was on my first day of school but she switched classes.

And i dont see any other girls in my classes that would take an interest in me,

IVe also been self medicating alot lately with whatever drugs i can find.

So i think im going to start taking prozac.

To those of you who take it, how long before you notice the effects? And are they very strong? Do they give you more confidence or anything like that?
Quote by on a jet
I didnt take it because i thought i would eventually come out of it.
Why did you bother going to the doctor in the first place then?
Quote by on a jet
I think my only real chance to come out of this 3 year long depression ive been in is to find a girl to validate me
If it's not immediately obvious to you that this is a stupid thing to say or think, I'm pointing it out for you now. This is stupid.
Quote by on a jet
IVe also been self medicating alot lately with whatever drugs i can find.
Great, because this will only make you worse. Seriously.
Quote by on a jet
To those of you who take it, how long before you notice the effects? And are they very strong? Do they give you more confidence or anything like that?
They aren't magic, they won't turn you into a stud or make you instantly happy, if that's what you're hoping for.
Quote by smb
Why did you bother going to the doctor in the first place then? If it's not immediately obvious to you that this is a stupid thing to say or think, I'm pointing it out for you now. This is stupid. Great, because this will only make you worse. Seriously. They aren't magic, they won't turn you into a stud or make you instantly happy, if that's what you're hoping for.

^ **** fool im already a stud. No help needed there.

And yes i realize self medicating is not a good idea.
take the pills doosh they actually do work !!!! as for the "getting a girl" comment i think chix are the main cause of depression so your playin with the devils candy on that one bro..
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
Great response, smb.

I always wondered if anti-depressants really make a huge change in your personality, I know it is supposed to change your mood but I always wonder if it could change the core of your being, if you know what I mean. I guess I never really trusted these types of medicine.
Go back to a professional. Anti-depressants can make one suicidal or homicidal. It's mostly because when people are depressed, they don't have any motivation. Once they take the pills and get a bit better, they have that motivation that can lead to suicide or homicide.
Last edited by mrwaffles at Aug 22, 2008,
Quote by InfiniteSadness
Great response, smb.

I always wondered if anti-depressants really make a huge change in your personality
Thanks, and they don't. They don't really make a lot of difference but they give you the confidence to feel better and you feel like you're doing something to help yourself, which gets you out of the depression.
Quote by zombiak
Birthday : June 9, 1991

16-years-old in a depression lasting 3 years? Sounds more like an adolescence to me.

right..

or an aweful childhood?

talking helps.

W
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
What kind of a country do you live in, where you can only date girls in your class?
Is it just me, or isn't that worse than dating one in another class?
Quote by zombiak

16-years-old in a depression lasting 3 years? Sounds more like an adolescence to me.

Yay lets all patronize him and take away whats left of his self asteem aswel! Yum!

Stupid fools :P Yes some of the things within his text are hurmourus, that doesnt mean you have tear him a new one...

In schools the things with girls just happen, its not really anything planned, its spontanious as are most meetings with the opposite sex, its when you least expect it happening is when it happens. Just be nice and talk more to people, but just dont change who you are to just be validated, because then its not validation.
Quote by blynd_snyper
He's 17, it's 2008. And completely irrelevantly he was born one day after me *gasp*.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/health/antidepressant-drugs-dont-work-ndash-official-study-13388619.html

Right, fixed.

Anyhow, I wouldn't bother taking prozac. I don't say that a young guy can't be depressed, but you've said that you need a 'girl to validate you'...it doesn't sound like depression, you just lack self-confidence. You can work on your character without any drugs, believe me.
Prozac might give you the confidence to be more outgoing and social but that is also something you could do without it and then you won't have to rely on them to get you through your day
Quote by on a jet
Ok so about 5 months ago i went and saw a psychiatrist for depression, he didnt really solve anything instead he just threw a months worth of prozac at me.

I didnt take it because i thought i would eventually come out of it. Well after movinng 3 hrs away to a new city and high school were i dont know a soul i realize thats not going to happen.

The doctor knows more than you, but if you're not happy with what they say you can see another one. When it comes to depression you need to find the right doctor.

Quote by on a jet

I think my only real chance to come out of this 3 year long depression ive been in is to find a girl to validate me but i dont see that happening. The first potential contact ive had with a girl that might be considered more than just friendly was on my first day of school but she switched classes.

Girls don't fix depression, but girls don't cause depression either. If you're feeling a bit low you don't necessarily have depression, but it may not harm to talk to a professional to get some perspective.

Quote by on a jet

I was on it for a while, it didn't do anything but make me considerably more blasé. Combine that with depression and things get interesting. I was taken off them and put on citalopram which seems to agree with me more. It's all about finding what works for you. Whatever you take remember that it takes a while before you'll notice any change, if you notice one at all.
I call BS on this.
No doctor would prescribe prozac for only a month, because it requires 6-8 weeks as a minimum to have any effect.
You shouldn't need a girl to validate you. I'm pretty much in a similar situation. Try a new psychiatrist, it's not like once once you've been to one you've seen it all.

EDIT: ^^ he could've meant roughly a month?
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Take the drugs and seek some kind of therapy.

The drugs are only a band-aid solution. They will take away your symptoms but they are far from a cure. Actually, your doctor just throwing anti-depressants at you is extremely unethical. Go see a psychiatrist or a psychologist and have someone monitor the drugs.

I'm on Cipralex for a bunch of anxiety disorders, I noticed a difference in about 3 weeks and a huge difference in about 5 weeks. But honestly, the only thing that really helped me was therapy. The pills made me feel better, but the therapy is helping me to get rid of the thoughts I go through that make me anxious.

Depression is just a state of mind, but a very hard one to break. Get involved in some cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). It's hard work, but you'll feel great in the end.

Pick up a copy of the book "Mind Over Mood." It's amazing.

Quote by MightyAl
I call BS on this.
No doctor would prescribe prozac for only a month, because it requires 6-8 weeks as a minimum to have any effect.
Sure they would! GPs know next to nothing about psychiatric drugs. I can almost guarantee you that the only reason Prozac was prescribed was because that company gave that doctor a bunch of pamphlets about it.
Last edited by Inimical at Aug 22, 2008,
Quote by MightyAl
I call BS on this.
They may well prescribe a tiny dose for a month. Sure, it wouldn't actually do anything, but a placebo is effective in most cases of depression.
Dont expect a girl to "complete" you in any way.
Quote by Zardokk
Everybody must get stoned! (If they are me.)
The only person who can really get you out of a depression is you. I hate to be a jackass, but I think we all know that it's true. A doctor can give you drugs, a therapist can talk to you, a girl can fuck you, but no one can make you happy unless you let them.
Quote by mrwaffles
The only person who can really get you out of a depression is you. I hate to be a jackass, but I think we all know that it's true. A doctor can give you drugs, a therapist can talk to you, a girl can fuck you, but no one can make you happy unless you let them.

No but really, a combination of drugs and therapy usually works better. Some therapy generally works better than nothing at all.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by smb
They may well prescribe a tiny dose for a month. Sure, it wouldn't actually do anything, but a placebo is effective in most cases of depression.

True enough.
But I'm just going to claim what I meant was that the depression(as in clinical depression, not just teenage whiny-ass-ness) was BS, and the TS is just a drama queen.
Talking to someone usually helps. Drugs are hit or miss and usually are leaning towards the miss. I took the highest dose of zoloft that could be legally perscribed in the US for months and it didn't help me. Basically I've found other ways of dealing with things and I also ditched my shrink about a month ago which I'm very happy I did. She was a real downer.
Quote by MightyAl
True enough.
But I'm just going to claim what I meant was that the depression(as in clinical depression, not just teenage whiny-ass-ness) was BS, and the TS is just a drama queen.
Thats an unfair claim. Especially since he's stated that he's seen a doctor and been prescribed medication and such.
Quote by Zardokk
Everybody must get stoned! (If they are me.)
I noticed effects the first day I took it. I wouldn't consider the effects "strong'', but they were definitely noticeable. It didn't give me more confidence...but it did make me less socially anxious, so I appeared more confident.
I have, however, stopped taking the pills, as I didn't want to rely on them for the rest of my life. I've decided to start dealing with this on my own, and I did the big No-No and took myself off of them and threw away my psych's phone number.
self validation is the only way to go. any psychiatrist will tell you that a mentally healthy person does not need the validation of another individual to feel complete. that being said i don't think there are many mentally healthy people in the world. its unfortunate most people have emotional baggage and/or skeletons in their closet that drag down their state of mind from time to time (im no exception to the rule, just making an observation with this)
Quote by Spaceman_Spiff
Thats an unfair claim. Especially since he's stated that he's seen a doctor and been prescribed medication and such.

Well, I'm King of the World, and I'm going to feed you to a tiger.
I just stated that, so it must be true. You have until morning to make peace with your creator, whoever you believe that to be.
Quote by Anthony1991
Yay lets all patronize him and take away whats left of his self asteem aswel! Yum!

Stupid fools :P Yes some of the things within his text are hurmourus, that doesnt mean you have tear him a new one...

In schools the things with girls just happen, its not really anything planned, its spontanious as are most meetings with the opposite sex (or same), its when you least expect it happening is when it happens. Just be nice and talk more to people, but just dont change who you are to just be validated, because then its not validation.

Fixed.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Quote by on a jet
^ **** fool im already a stud. No help needed there.

You sound so depressed
Quote by Tire Me.
Raping her in front of other people would be morally wrong.

Quote by Bubbles516
wtf290 uses make bubbles feel like crap
Its super effective!
Quote by Insicion
The last time i took pills was a year ago when i was severly depressed. I was depressed since the 6th grade and you seriusly think pills are a cure for all? Let me tell you something, coming from somone who has been depressed half my life till this day, the ONLY cure for depression is YOU.

Quote by Inimical
Take the drugs and seek some kind of therapy.

The drugs are only a band-aid solution. They will take away your symptoms but they are far from a cure. Actually, your doctor just throwing anti-depressants at you is extremely unethical. Go see a psychiatrist or a psychologist and have someone monitor the drugs.

I'm on Cipralex for a bunch of anxiety disorders, I noticed a difference in about 3 weeks and a huge difference in about 5 weeks. But honestly, the only thing that really helped me was therapy. The pills made me feel better, but the therapy is helping me to get rid of the thoughts I go through that make me anxious.

Depression is just a state of mind, but a very hard one to break. Get involved in some cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). It's hard work, but you'll feel great in the end.

Both quoted for truth. There's quite some fail in this thread. Shows once again The Pit isn't a doctor and even less a psychiatrist. And I feel the same thing when it comes to the opposite sex. I feel very lonely at times, but a I don't think a relationship will cure us. The only thing that can cure you is the will to get a grasp of yourself, medication and cognitive therapy. Good luck.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by zombiak

17-years-old in a depression lasting 3 years? Sounds more like an adolescence to me.

alot of depression and bi-polar cases involving people under the age of 18 are related to hormones of growing up and are sheltered by their parents and they dont realise what it is so they say its depression cause the doctors make more money off it.
Quote by convictionless
alot of depression and bi-polar cases involving people under the age of 18 are related to hormones of growing up and are sheltered by their parents and they dont realise what it is so they say its depression cause the doctors make more money off it.
Quote some research or piss off. You're not helping.
Quote by MightyAl
I call BS on this.

You'd be surprised how stupid some doctors (and even psychiatrists) can be when it comes to drugs.

Also see below.

Quote by Inimical
Sure they would! GPs know next to nothing about psychiatric drugs. I can almost guarantee you that the only reason Prozac was prescribed was because that company gave that doctor a bunch of pamphlets about it.

BUT....

Quote by Inimical

Depression may be manifested in the psyche, but it often has a biological basis, typically in cases of long-term or severe cases. It is hard to treat these types of cases by reading self-help books or even with talk or CBT therapies.

Anti-depressants have a very mixed track record, but they do work for some people.
Page 1 of 2