Okay, I'm in a bit of a bind here; I've been playing guitar for 2-3 years, don't remember the exact year I started playing, but nonetheless, I've spent those years just playing useless crap really, and in my haste to be some amazing guitarist, I completely missed the basics, I mean I just now began tapping into the basics of scales, and I still can't do (m)any chords, just like...4, as far as real chords go. So really I just wanna know what step from here I should take if I even wanted to be a serioius player in the first place, and make this 2 years of just learning techniques something useful?
well, I was kind of in the same boat as you. I taught myself the guitar after taking about 7 years of piano lessons. The first 2 years were crap as well. First of all, my parents only let me play about an hour (on the weekends!), and no time on the weekdays. I played a lot of AC/DC. They are a great band nontheless, but I wasn't getting anywhere. So, I decided to take a step up and discover more music. I found that learning any (and I mean any) classical or jazz piece really helps. Whether it's learning scales (or solos, both go hand in hand) or chords, you can start to pick up skills and develop your own technique really quickly.

Hopefully, I was of some help.
At tona 107
Isn't it true that Hendrix had sex with one of his guitars(drilled a hole in it and.. you know.), so maybe that?

Just start all over again, this time with strength in your fingers and rusty strings.
1)learn all of your open and bar/power chords
2)learn your major, minor, pentatonic and blues scales, using the circle of fifths helps a lot
3)grab a beginners music theory book and apply everything you read to your guitar
3) learn sweep, alternate, economy and fingerpicking, tapping, and creation/implementation of arepggios
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
Quote by Jastul
1)learn all of your open and bar/power chords
2)learn your major, minor, pentatonic and blues scales, using the circle of fifths helps a lot
3)grab a beginners music theory book and apply everything you read to your guitar
3) learn sweep, alternate, economy and fingerpicking, tapping, and creation/implementation of arepggios

Errr.. What he said!
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
If you want to get started on theory then read the Crusade articles by Josh Urban in the Columns section.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks a lot people, seriously. I'm decent at tapping and as far as technique goes I got things pretty down up until it gets to string skipping and alternate picking. But theory you say? Sounds like a good step to me, and thanks again, this should get me on the right track -cough- might make me practice more too -cough cough-
Quote by reapr713
Thanks a lot people, seriously. I'm decent at tapping and as far as technique goes I got things pretty down up until it gets to string skipping and alternate picking. But theory you say? Sounds like a good step to me, and thanks again, this should get me on the right track -cough- might make me practice more too -cough cough-

Technical ability isn't all that much use to you unless you can create something with it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Technical ability isn't all that much use to you unless you can create something with it.

Yeah, that realization caught up with me when I just decided to improvise some stuff and realized "Man, all this stuff sounds familiar...."