How many of you had bass as their first instrument, and doesn't own a guitar? And have learnt online/taught themselves? Would you recommend bass for me first, as I really can't choose, one moment I think I should learn guitar, the next moment, bass... Most of the time I'm probably going to be at home playing, nothing major, and will probably be learning online, on sites like this one.

Also, I'd like to know that is there a certain way of playing each chord or whatever with the left hand or do you just put your fingers where it is easier to reach? (damn it that sounds wrong) And do you still get chords like an A chord etc. but for bass?

And now completely on a different matter, in all of my 2 months of being here, it seems that bassists are more... intelligent, or maturer, and less cocky in a way than guitarists (No disrespect there), does anyone agree?
Last edited by NKF176 at Aug 22, 2008,
Best thing to do is to look in the FAQ, then when you can go to a music shop and play as many basses as you can.

As for chords... I don't really understand the question, could you rephrase it?

And yes, Bassists are more mature, but we are also all very conceited
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by NKF176
How many of you had bass as their first instrument, and doesn't own a guitar? And have learnt online/taught themselves? Would you recommend bass for me first, as I really can't choose, one moment I think I should learn guitar, the next moment, bass... Most of the time I'm probably going to be at home playing, nothing major, and will probably be learning online, on sites like this one.

Bass was technically my first instrument, it was the first one that I actually owned and cared about learning. I like it a lot more than guitar.

Also, I'd like to know that is there a certain way of playing each chord or whatever with the left hand or do you just put your fingers where it is easier to reach? (damn it that sounds wrong) And do you still get chords like an A chord etc. but for bass?

The only chords I ever use are fifths and octaves, but they're quite easy to reach once you get your fingers stretched out.

And now completely on a different matter, in all of my 2 months of being here, it seems that bassists are more... intelligent, or maturer, and less cocky in a way than guitarists (No disrespect there), does anyone agree?

I haven't really noticed any difference
Quote by ChemicalFire

When you use your left hand for the frets, say you wanted to play a certain chord or something, is their a fixed method of doing it? e.g like index on 4 string 3 fret middle on 3rd string 5 fret, or is it just whatever is easiest?
Welcome to the world of bass!

Technically there is no difference in guitar or bass chords etc. The instruments are just approached differently. I suggest getting a bass and an acoustic guitar. Even if it is just a cheapy. It is tough to get started but once you learn just a bit it will all start flooding into your brain. The website is a great tool for learning. Make sure you don't only start with tab, LEARN TO READ MUSIC! And you'll never be out of work as a bass player!

Good Luck!
Other than the obvious things there is one main difference between learning Bass and learning Guitar, the difficulty curve. If you were to plot a graph of how difficult different techniques were as you went along with guitar and bass the guitar one would be an 'r' shape whereas the bass one would be an backwards 'L' shape. Bass is easier to pick up but the advanced techniques are more difficult that those of a normal guitar which is the other way round. This is why I chose the bass, because I wanted to get stuck in and I knew that I would get bored with guitar really quickly because its a slow start, so if you're like me and have a very short attention span/ temp go for the bass because you can play from the start but its more difficult in the long run. Fretting with a bass guitar is more difficult than on a guitar so when you start out you may have to put two fingers on some strings but you quickly develop finger strength and you can use any finger for any fret really also when you start with basss (and to some extent guitar) your fingers get really sore after an hour or so of practising but that goes soon enough as your fingers develop thicker skin.

You can do chords on a bass guitar but I wouldnt reccomend it, a single string on a bass guitar gives a full enough sound. Its only people who go for as loud as possible who play chords (but only power chords) e.g. Lemmy.

As for bassists being maturer well, in a band the drumer is the dumb muscle, the guitarist is the cocky show off and the bassist is the quiet weird one.
first look up music theory and learn that
UG Radio

Quote by ddrocksv3_4xpk
Thine Behold one rollin?
Quote by _T_H_R_I_C_E_
Lo, and the other lads be hating,
gallyvanting around,
attempting to catch me cycling in an unsavory fashion.

XBL: Panzyz

PSN: Dasan104
Quote by NKF176
How many of you had bass as their first instrument, and doesn't own a guitar?
Yes and no. I've got a guitar for messing around on.
Quote by NKF176
And have learnt online/taught themselves?
I have, but that doesn't mean it's the best way.
Quote by NKF176
Would you recommend bass for me first
First before what? Taxidermy? Piccolo? I enjoy playing bass, but I'm not you.
Quote by NKF176
Also, I'd like to know that is there a certain way of playing each chord or whatever with the left hand or do you just put your fingers where it is easier to reach?
There are various methods. I like one finger per fret.
Quote by NKF176
And do you still get chords like an A chord etc. but for bass?
Chords are chords, on any pitch instrument.
Quote by NKF176
No, I think that's a load of crap tbh.
I actually had a bass long before a guitar was even set down in my house. I actually still dont own a guitar and I just mess around on my girlfriend's guitar and amp thats at my house.
I used to say I'd be doing nothing major too. That didn't last for two long after I seriously took up bass now I have a need to do something and it bugs me when the band is stagnant when we arent busy.
For bass "1 finger per fret" should be in your mind(ie. 5th fret E-string could be fretted with your index finger, then 5th fret A should be fretted with your index finger as well) Someone please confirm I got this right?
I had a really informative post that apparently failed , so now you get the abridged version

Bass was my first instruement, but I play guitar as well.

I suggest a teacher, that way you won't develop any bad habits.

Bass does not generally play chords, occasionally thirds, fifths, and octaves, but mostly single notes, but you need chord knowledge and music theory knowledge so you know what notes are "acceptable," obviously you can play whatever you want, but you don't want to always stick out.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by NKF176
How many of you had bass as their first instrument, and doesn't own a guitar?

Opposite for me, I started on guitar. But I always wanted to play bass. The reasons I didn't start on bass are too complicated and cultural. I still play guitar and several other assorted instruments.

Quote by NKF176

And have learnt online/taught themselves? Would you recommend bass for me first, as I really can't choose, one moment I think I should learn guitar, the next moment, bass...

I started out teaching myself. And then got a teacher and found out how badly I had taught myself.

Quote by NKF176

Also, I'd like to know that is there a certain way of playing each chord or whatever with the left hand or do you just put your fingers where it is easier to reach?

On fretted basses I use one finger per fret. Fretless I tend to use the Simandl method..

Quote by NKF176

Of course. We're bassists and by default better people overall.
Trumpet was my first then guitar now bass now piano. I still play all 4 though.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Bass is the only instrument that I have ever played and I started off by taking lessons for a year. After that, I quit and began to learn new techniques on my own. Also, about chords, you usually will not play chords on bass. Very rarely does it happen, and if it does happen, it is usually a power chord.
really it all in what kind of music you like. i play bass, and the music im drawn to has great technical bass stuff in it. I really like the maturity thing, i think its funny how that kinda does happen. personaly i find were mature because every time a guitarist solos, chicks want to have sex with him and when bass players solo, there is normally a bit of a WTF factor on most people's faces. cept in jazz.
Peavy Cirrus 5 string
Squire Jazz bass
Berhinger ultrabass head, 450 cabinet
Resident Marvel Comic expert of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
]My band's myspace
http://www.myspace.com/jenovamusicpage
Bass was my first instrument, we have a keyboard and like 5 or 6 guitars here though. I can play those too.

I just liked bass more, grooving a bit and it felt more natural for my hands.
+ it was a challenge to become very good at it and show it is not as easy/boring as everyone thinks.

And though I am supposed to be smart, I am an idiot

edit: with chords it depends: sometimes I use my finger as a pick if ya know what I mean. and sometimes I use my thumb and a finger
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Bass was my first instrument. I then taught myself guitar - mostly for writing.
I find bass - especially fretless - to be a more expressive instrument. And there's that sense of pride holding the biggest chunk of wood on stage.
I play 6-string bass, so my approach to chords are slightly different, but there are many options to "chord" on bass.
Quote by NKF176

Bass was my first instrument, I now own several guitars.
I taught myself / teach myself now, but I had several months of lessons before I started that. I always advise to get a few lessons to develop proper form so you can practice properly on our own.

I'd recommend either first, or both at the same time. Probably bass, because you can learn fingers and pick right off the bat, while if you do guitar first, whn you go to bass you'll obviously only do picks.

There are certain ways and there aren't. It depends on the context.

Did this help?
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by NKF176

I started playing as a guitarist and I played with a pick so it took me longer to get used to playing with my fingers but I pretty much taught myself (with the help of bass for dummies). It's always good to be able to play both instruments, it really doesn't matter what comes first.

lol, chords aren't usually played on bass, rather notes that "fit" under the chord are played. for example, when an Am chord is played on guitar, the bassist can pretty much play anything in the Am scale (A,B,C,D,E,F,G).

Yeah, bassists are pretty much cool people, I mean, when you have to deal with everyone thinking that you're not supposed to do anything except stand in the back and pound root notes, you learn to put up with alot more and become a better person.
At least, that's why I'm so cool.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by NKF176

bass is my first and only instrument. I can do congas if requested, and have been messing with the harmonica, but indeed, still sound like an idiot with a harmonica, as opposed to a harmonica player. I never wanted to play guitar except a moment of weakness at the age of 7, and can't help you. it really depends on who you are. get 1-2 lessons at least, so you have the basics and concepts and what you should do in an easy and simple manner.

the second paragraph is already answered.

you've learned the first rule of bands: the guitarist is either an asshole, or a keeper.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I played classical guitar at like 8, but lost interest after a year so I'm counting bass as my first instrument.
Chords will sound muddy if you play them on the E string, but A and up work great for me,
Eg. A on the D string, C# on the G string and E on the A string, rings out perfectly and easy to reach.
As far as maturity, this forum lacks it, but if you're looking for open minded, thoughtful answers check out talkbass.com, mainly older guys there, plenty of whom make a living from music and will try brands before jumping on the bandwagon.
But this is a good place to chat :P
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
ignore the above mention of talkbass. old dunderheads with no fire and too many sponsorships. and those random ads piss me off. grr.

we are much smarter, funner, and as a whole, sexier than talkbass.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity

we are much smarter, funner, and as a whole, sexier than talkbass.

And it shall be sigged to remind all fellow UGers.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Bass was my first instrument i have dozens of guitars and amazing amps in my house and i still had no interest to really play them until i met my friend who was a guitar prodigy and i was like damn... I need to learn an instrument... Even though i had guitars and stuff i wanted to play bass because of the shortage of bassists in the area and to be different from all the kids that can only powerchords on guitar at my school... I rented some Yamaha peice of crap for a few months ebcause my parents didn't think i would be serious... After a few months of learning through tabs on guitarpro i really still enjoyed just as much as the first day i played it but maybe more so... I got a MIM fender jazz for my birthday which was a good versatile bass. Then eventually the bassist of the band that my guitar prodigy friend was in had quit and due to the fact that there were no other bassists around they tried me out for a month, i was forced to sit down and learn the songs by playing them over and over again until they got clean, and then be able to play them while being energetic and have stage presence... All that crap people always say about you can achieve anything you put on your mind stuff is true and i finally learned that through the bass... Become a passion of mine and i hope to keep getting better and better... Hell maybe one day if my band actually takes off people will be like "Hey that d00d has some totally interesting bass lines" and ill all lol at you... (stuff on our myspace blows and bass is in audible and ridiculously easy so don't judge based on that )
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
i never wanted to learn guitar, i always wanted to play bass.

www.talkbass.com is a good website but i find myself visting it alot less becuase it makes me jeleous of their EXTREAMLY expensive insruments
Quote by Royal Celebi

I haven't really noticed any difference

Proof: Bassists are better people.
Quote by Spaz91
As for bassists being maturer well, in a band the drumer is the dumb muscle, the guitarist is the cocky show off and the bassist is the quiet weird one.

This is a tautology; it is always true under any circumstance ever.

TS, when it comes to fingering chords, there are accepted ways that are considered best for each chord. That doesn't mean you CAN'T finger a D Major with your thumb, pinky, and nose, just that it will be noticably less comfortable.

As for whether to pick up bass or guitar first, that's really up to you. We're all going to say we love bass in this forum, because we are indeed the bass forum. It's up to you to try both. Now, you would be helping out the balance of the universe by picking up bass, since the average "guitarist" to bassist ratio out there is about 73:1.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by Spaz91

does almost apply on dream theater
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by ChemicalFire
Best thing to do is to look in the FAQ, then when you can go to a music shop and play as many basses as you can.

And yes, Bassists are more mature, but we are also all very conceited

That's true. usually a lot of the electric guitar players are pretty much wanna be rock stars and show off at guitar center.

but, us acoustic players pretty much keep to ourselves and never overdo it in the store.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Bass is my first stringed instrument. I just kinda dick around on a guitar once in a while. All I can do is power chords. I'd reccomend that you pick up a guitar first, then bass. It would be helpful to learn chords. And yes, there are chords when playing bass, but not very often. Most of the time its just powerchords or octaves, nothing real fancy.
Member #8 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to join.

Quote by GuitarHero0715
The most ****ed up thing a woman can to do a man is give your d!ck an indian burn, or bite it off.

Only bassist of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by about
That's true. usually a lot of the electric guitar players are pretty much wanna be rock stars and show off at guitar center.

but, us acoustic players pretty much keep to ourselves and never overdo it in the store.

how do you crank an acoustic though?

"that bastard! he's using a pick and all 6 strings!!!!"
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

i had a piano as my first instrument, but that was 10 years ago and i have long given it up, now trumpet is sort of my first instrument.
I wouldnt totally recommend learning from internet, as lots have people on the internet have bad habbits and sometimes improper technique, but it does help wiht your learning process.
And yes, Bassists are genetically superior to guitarists.
we are in everyway better.
*the statement above is in noway, immature and cocky.
i play guitar and i like it more than bass, and i have taught myself both, but a lot more people play guitar than bass and bands are always looking for a bass player, so why not learn both
I use chords in 1st inversion
i.e. 1st fret on the G string, 2nd fret on the D and 2 on the A gives you a major chord.

Edit: When I do use chords, that is
Last edited by isildurs_bane at Sep 22, 2008,
I took up bass after months of interest i never learned music theory i get lessons that i paid for from my tutor he is really good www.creativebasslessons.com anywayz I think im doing okay BTW WELCOME TO BASS WORLD
CANNIBAL CORPSE

When the silence is gone, what have we become?