so i own a 4x12 fender cab with a 100w fender head, and as good as it sounds, its f-ing loud. real loud. i cant let the tube channel scream at all cause anything above 2 shakes my walls and i live in an apt, so not good. i also play at a local bar probably once a week and instead of using the halfstack which sounds great, i use a fender fm65 which i hate the sound of. now i was thinking, i know its gonna be pushing the same amount of power, and i know an Attenuator(or something like that, dont really care to look it up, they are bloody expensive so i dont really want a $400 volume knob if i can build a smaller cab to bring it down) is the correct answer, and choice, but if i built a 2x12 cab would that bring my volume down at all? i really wana use the head, but for the size of the place i play, and the size of my living room, a 4x12 w/ 100watts is overkill. the other guitarist in my band uses a 1x12 100w peavey combo amp, so im not worried about him being able to not be loud enough.

or hell, a 1x12 i'd even do. i wana use this head but not be stuck with a 4x12 when i only need a 1x12 or 2x12
No, a 2x12, will not be quieter. It will just not fill a room as good as a 4x12. I say look into an attenuator. Weber makes good ones. Go to eurotubes.com i think there under 200.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

it would probably be cheaper than a 2x12, and there really easy to use.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker