Hi, ive just stated (attempting) playing the guitar. I have a Westfield electric guitar (bought for £50 second hand) which i have had checked by an expert and was told it is in A1 condition. Ive only been playing for 2 days now and was just wondering if it is normal to have so much pain in the fingers, such as sorness and aching ? Also i am finding it very had to execute quite a few of the chords such as A open. Im finding it hard to fit all 3 of my fingers between the 2 frets. Even when i do manage to get my fingers in the correct position, somehow i am muting 1 of the strings or it makes a horrible twanging sound. Just after a few pointers in the right direction really. THANX
Yes it should hurt keep practicing and it wont. Try hoding an A open with one finger layed across the stirngs
Gear:
Guitars/ Basses:
PRS SE singlecut w/Tremolo
Epiphone Sg
Epiphone Thunderbird

Waiting in the wings:
Squier Strat mod
(soon to start)

Amps:
Line 6 Spider JAM
Peavey Max 115 bass amp
You havent even begun to begin.....

Keep at it though.

Yes your finger tips will hurt, get sore, get raw.

Yes chords will be difficult. Yes alt picking will be difficult.

All of this is going to be a challenge. If it wasnt, guitar gods would be a dime a dozen.
the pain is normal, just keep practicing....
Be still my heart, I hear your back cracking...

...sounds like music to me
Quote by davidskan1
Hi, ive just stated (attempting) playing the guitar. I have a Westfield electric guitar (bought for £50 second hand) which i have had checked by an expert and was told it is in A1 condition. Ive only been playing for 2 days now and was just wondering if it is normal to have so much pain in the fingers, such as sorness and aching ? Also i am finding it very had to execute quite a few of the chords such as A open. Im finding it hard to fit all 3 of my fingers between the 2 frets. Even when i do manage to get my fingers in the correct position, somehow i am muting 1 of the strings or it makes a horrible twanging sound. Just after a few pointers in the right direction really. THANX

What type of study guide do you have? Are you taking lessons? Do you have a book? Are you getting lessons off the web? Or are you just winging it?

Either way just keep doing practising. Do it slowly. It may be difficult to do an open A chord, but in time it will come so easily for you. It will.
Im learning from a DVD at the moment which is really good because i can pause it and practice what ive just seen. It goes close up on the fret board so i can pause and see what's going on. Its taking me alot of time to move from one chord to another.
got any advice on a good bass teacher?
im just learning bass and really having a hard time doing it
Haha, welcome to day 2 wherein you realize this is a lot harder then it looks. I'm only about 3 months into playing so the feelings you're having are still fresh in my mind.

Your fingers will stop hurting so much after a couple weeks (depending on how much you practice) and some nice callouses will develop. They will always hurt after a long session of playing but the style of the pain will change.

Work on your open chords and getting them set down right. Practice lifting your fingers up and putting them back down, don't change chords just lift your fingers up and put them back. This will help teach your hand the chord shapes. After you can do that decently practice changing chords. Someone above mentioned Justin Guitar, take a look at his 'one minute chord changes' program, it helps a lot. Find some simple songs with 2 or 3 chords that you can work on your changes on, it makes it more fun.

Overall just keep practicing, it'll come, don't get frustrated when you can't do it right away. Your fingers, no matter what it seems like, aren't too fat. With enough practice anyone can play guitar, you get out of it what you put into it. After 3 months I'm just now getting able to move between chords quickly enough to play some songs and hit the basic open chords well without muting other strings (too badly at least, ha!).