I have a Marshall DSL50 head that i play it through a 1960B cabinet. The head is like three and a half months old. Long story short my band has our first gig tomorrow and weve been having some marathon practices to prepare for it. Im talking like between 7 and 13 hours everyday for the last week so all of my gear has been getting some serious use. Yesterday towards the end of practice i noticed that my guitar was sounding a little dull. Its kinda hard to describe but think about what things sound like after youve been front row at a loud concert. A little muffeled. I was using my wireless system and it did have low battery so i just started to use my cable. It still didnt sound quite right though. I turned off the standby for a few min and turned it back on and stuff sounded right. I just want to know if this is my amps way of saying ive been on for 8 hours give me a break or if i need to worried about blowing a fuse or something in the middle of my set. Please respond as soon as possible because if something needs to get fixed i have to do it fast. Thanks
could need new tubes or strings

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

things should be fine, but get some backup tubes and fuses just in case.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^^ +1

i wont hurt to have them sitting around just in case something goes during your set. It would be better than something happening and you have no backup.

And then if nothing happens and you dont need those backup tubes, you have your self an extra set
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
if u say it sounds like you've been at a loud concert, well you have been practicing a lot, maybe it is just your ears tiring at the end of the day, cus lets face it, a guitar amp over drums isnt exactly whisper volume.
If its not that, could be time for a tube replacement.
well im going over to practice in a little so ill see how its doing today. i have been wearing noise filters but not all the time. it might be my ears... i have a hard time thinkin my tubes would be shot already cause the amp was brand new when i bought it. my friends tubes lasted him for two years almost. if its acting up today ill go buy backups like you suggested. thanks guys i was kinda worried there for a while. If one were to go in the middle of the set is changing a tube out something i can do in like 5 min. this is my first tube amp and ive never changed tubes before.
Yeah, if you're in the middle of set, you can just pull a tube out and replace it.
At least with preamp tubes
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by DeAtH MaGnEtiC
Maybe its your ears
If youve been playing loudly for that amount of time your ears will go funny :].

This
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by VRAerosmith2
well im going over to practice in a little so ill see how its doing today. i have been wearing noise filters but not all the time. it might be my ears... i have a hard time thinkin my tubes would be shot already cause the amp was brand new when i bought it. my friends tubes lasted him for two years almost. if its acting up today ill go buy backups like you suggested. thanks guys i was kinda worried there for a while. If one were to go in the middle of the set is changing a tube out something i can do in like 5 min. this is my first tube amp and ive never changed tubes before.

Store bought ear plugs are basically worthless - my mom has worked for an audiologist for the past ten years and he told me that the earplugs you buy at a store do practically nothing for you. The only ones that are actually worth wearing are ones that have been custom made for you based off impressions taken from your ears.

It may be your ears, it may be tubes, or it may simply be the fact that you were just a bit weary from all the practicing and things didn't seem right to you. Go in with fresh ears, buy some back up tubes just in case, and make sure you're getting plenty of rest
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Store bought ear plugs are basically worthless - my mom has worked for an audiologist for the past ten years and he told me that the earplugs you buy at a store do practically nothing for you.

I would disagree with you on that (not saying Mom is wrong, but I think there might be a particular bad brand or type of plug she is referring). If you use foam ear plugs properly (that means installing them correctly to complete isolate the ear canal), they will indeed work very well. It is important to look at the dB attenuation of the product. It is quite possible there as some that have very poor capabilities, but you can find foam 25 dB plugs at GC or even a hardware store. EAR is the best brand IMHO; the ones at GC I've seen work but are really poorly made and really don't hold up to repeated insertions (I think I see where you mom was going with this). EAR also makes heavy industrial foam plugs I've used back in the manufacturing days. Just buy EAR brand and you'll be OK.

With that being said, I don't like them for playing guitar. They work wonders for when I'm drumming, but kill ability to sing or really hear the tone when I'm are playing guitar. For that purpose there are indeed custom made in ear plugs (I think Pete Townsend supports on org that does this), isolation headphones (hooked up for monitoring...ala Paul Gilbert), and plugs specially made for musicians (dampen the heavy pressure waves but don't block much of the sound otherwise).

EDIT: The Pete Townsend org I was thinking of that addresses hearing loss is H.E.A.R: http://www.hearnet.com/index.shtml also Paul Gilbert uses Extreme Isolation headphones: http://www.extremeheadphones.com/

I use SNF2 Sonic II Sound Filter Earplugs with the diaphragm for pressure wave reduction now and they work very well (although the base attenuation is only 6 dB). I'm surprised how well they work. After singing, playing, drumming at a show I have absolutely no ringing or hearing "fatigue" but still was able to enjoy most of the tonal purity.
My Favorite T-Shirt Saying: "Warning: Drummer Playing Guitar"

My Music: Abandon At My Place -- One man heavy observational rock band...

My Fav Gear:
Egnater Tourmaster 4100, Schecter Hellraiser, MXR EQ, Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss DD-7
Last edited by webcommando at Aug 23, 2008,
when are you guys playing?
if your playing after other bands, either dont listen to them or wear earplugs, you might get soundrone for when its your time to play
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010