Page 1 of 2
can someone please explain how stack amps work?

like why do i need a head and cabinet? I want one lol

what does the 'watt' mean?
What you don't understand that the head is the amp. Like on a combo, you have the top part where all of those dials and stuff are, that's the "head" of a combo. The Head is also where you plug your guitar into. The cabinet is your speaker, where the sound comes out of (der). I hope you get it now.
O.O

the cabnets the speaker the heads the controls

the watts the volume
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
head = the amplifier itself
cab = speaker cabinet

watt = unit of power = energy/time, so the amount of power the amp puts out.
a cabinet is just a box with speakers in it

a head is a box with electronics and such in it that transform the very weak signal from your guitars pickups into something thats powerful enough to run a speaker

a combo amp has the same above 2 compenets mounted all in one box

a watt is a unit of measurement for power named after this guy
more power = louder (though there are other factors in play here as well)

edit: we should use horsepower for amp ratings instead
my 1/13th horsepower Marshall halfstack totally r0x0rz
so what if my head is 50 watts, and my cab is 240? what does that mean, how loud can it go?
Quote by worton
so what if my head is 50 watts, and my cab is 240? what does that mean, how loud can it go?

50 watts

the rating on the cabinet is just a maximum. its how much power you can put through the speakers before they start burning up
the head has all the electronic parts in it. the cab has the speakers. you need both to use it.
watts are how much power it puts out.
and rancidryan, that would be very nice of you to get rid of that sig.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
1) it's understand
2) a stack is a Head (Pre-amp and Power-amp) and Cab (speakers), as opposed to a combo which has all 3 in one
3) watt is a unit of power

zomg, i just noticed i could have googled all of that
so surely i would want a very loud head then? :/ or am just getting rediculous with how loud i want it
I will applaud you if you can actually practice with a 50 watt head into a 4x12 at full volume without losing your hearing.
Quote by worton
so surely i would want a very loud head then? :/ or am just getting rediculous with how loud i want it

do you live in the middle of nowhere and have no family members and/or neighbours that would get pissed off at you?
and are you playing to 50000 people in huge stadiums 5 nights a week?

you really don't need more than 50watts in a tube amp.
as mentioned above, it will **** up your ears
Quote by worton
can someone please explain how stack amps work?

what does the 'watt' mean?

They work in exactly the same way as a combo amp, they're just in two bits.

...i just checked your profile, please tell me you're not really 28
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by seljer
do you live in the middle of nowhere and have no family members and/or neighbours that would get pissed off at you?
and are you playing to 50000 people in huge stadiums 5 nights a week?

you really don't need more than 50watts in a tube amp.
as mentioned above, it will **** up your ears

But you'll have fun while doing it

And high gain heads typically have higher wattages in for more headroom.
Quote by worton

What kind of music do you play, what is your budget, do you gig or just practice at home, would you buy used gear?
If you have to ask, you don't need one.
When you see them at show's.... they are just that, for show. Usually only one or two speakers are miked to to the PA... if any at all.
Quote by JaGi
Watts is not volume.

Watts don't equal volume, but they do give a rough estimate on how loud an amp will probably be.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by al112987
I will applaud you if you can actually practice with a 50 watt head into a 4x12 at full volume without losing your hearing.

ahhhh, i practice with a 135 watt tube amp...
I crank it sometimes, even use a boost/OD with it, seriously, people think big tube amps are WMD's its just not the case...

sigh... Posts like that are how these crazy internet things get going and stay going
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by R.D
I crank it sometimes, even use a boost/OD with it, seriously, people think big tube amps are WMD's its just not the case...

sigh... Posts like that are how these crazy internet things get going and stay going

I can go deaf and piss everyone off with my 30watt solid state thing

amps are louder than guitarists realise
Quote by worton
whats the 4x 12 thing?

I know its in the cabinet but what does it mean?

4 twelve inch speakers.
Quote by rancidryan
O.O

the cabnets the speaker the heads the controls

the watts the volume

Nope it is the max power clean. For an example, my 18watter is VERY loud. How? Well it has a max CLEAN output of 18watts. This means that 18watts is the max output it can put out before distorting. It distorts at 2 on the volume dial. After that it doesn't get way louder though...

Volume is measured in decibel.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Nope it is the max power clean. For an example, my 18watter is VERY loud. How? Well it has a max CLEAN output of 18watts. This means that 18watts is the max output it can put out before distorting. It distorts at 2 on the volume dial. After that it doesn't get way louder though...

Volume is measured in decibel.

True, but it still measures volume to some extent. I'm pretty sure your 18 watter is more quiet than a Mesa Triple Rectifier? It's pretty bad for measuring volume, but it does work for some extent.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by R.D

Then I applaud your "ears of steel".

Putting my JTM45 (30 watts) through a set of efficient speakers and turning it anywhere past 5 will leave my ears ringing if I play for more than 30 minutes.
Try not to get too much wattage..I have a 40 watt tube amp and i rarely turn it past 3-4..it's just THAT loud (remember that tube amps are a little louder than SS).

That's why every once in a while some posts looking for an attenuator.
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

Quote by Fama
True, but it still measures volume to some extent. I'm pretty sure your 18 watter is more quiet than a Mesa Triple Rectifier? It's pretty bad for measuring volume, but it does work for some extent.

Well I can see your point. But guess what? It's louder than a Triple Recto! If we were to run both at 10 the Recto is louder. But at 1 the 18watter is louder. This is because it has very low headroom. The Recto has a lot of headroom and you have to push it far to make it distrt. The 18watter starts breaking up at 1 on the volume dial. So at that volume, it's WAY louder than the Recto. So yoour statement isn't entirly right really. This also proves that measuring volume in watts is wrong. Headroom affects a lot for an example and so on!

Quote by al112987
Then I applaud your "ears of steel".

Putting my JTM45 (30 watts) through a set of efficient speakers and turning it anywhere past 5 will leave my ears ringing if I play for more than 30 minutes.

Actually I think the JTM45 is well... 45watts. Something in me says that two KT66s (very effienct tubes) in Class A/B isn't going to be 30 watts.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by seljer
we should use horsepower for amp ratings instead
my 1/13th horsepower Marshall halfstack totally r0x0rz
That's awesome...my Ashdown is just over half a horsepower
Quote by smb
That's awesome...my Ashdown is just over half a horsepower

Ashdown donkey?

edit: probably more like a mule
i just found out that donkey-power is actually a unit thats 1/3 of a horsepower
Nice...so my amp is more powerful than a donkey. Worth knowing.
Quote by smb
Nice...so my amp is more powerful than a donkey. Worth knowing.

mine is probably more on the level of a rabid badger
Quote by Fama

My watt DSL100 is louder than my 150 watt triple recto from what I can tell.
^Exactly. Mesas for an example have HIGH headroom. This means that they take a while to get loud. Hence they are hard to crank. Some amps have low headroom, like my 18 watter. I can't barely get it up to 1. But once past 2, it doesn't get any louder.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
MINE IS OVER 9000!!!

Sorry had to do that one!

False. My amp goes over 9000.

In fact, mine goes to infinity.
Call me Wes.
Gear: