IVE NOTICED ON A NUMBER OF AMPLIFIERS A CLIP LED, WHEN I TESTED OUT A MARK BASS SYSTEM WITH ONE ON IT MADE A FUNNY NOISE WHEN IT WENT UP TO CLIP, WHAT WAS THIS AND WHAT DOES IT MEAN??

IS IT TOO MUCH POWER??

sorry about the nontechnically speech i am a amp noob, i know my guitars more

Clipping happens when your signal is too loud.
A clip LED will show you when your signal will clip.
Easy on the capitals.
ok soz, i forgot it wass on and couldent be bothered to re type so too much clip is baad?
Too many grammatical errors are bad, as well.

And yes, too much clip can be a bad thing.
haha ok, like my guitar solos my typing is all speed and no accuracy, i have to depend on rhythm guitar to get me out of a mucky solo, when im on guitar not bass .

im more of a bassit
I though you made it clear you were more of a guitarist. huh? HUHHHHHH?

Just kidding.

EDIT: Clipping is generally a bad thing. I love that my amp has a clipping light
-Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410
-Tons of other bass/guitar gear

FAST MELODIC PUNK! CHECK OUT MY BAND!
therowleyestate.bandcamp.com
Quote by jammy827
haha ok, like my guitar solos my typing is all speed and no accuracy, i have to depend on rhythm guitar to get me out of a mucky solo, when im on guitar not bass .

im more of a bassit

Whats a bassit?
You stole my Overture
Clipping means your signal is too loud and the some yucky distortion happens

unless you are Jimi Hendrix, because everything he does is tasty
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by BulletFrost
Whats a bassit?

he probably meant bassist... and i have a clip LED to... and i was wondering the same thing
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
Quote by tbirds1013
he probably meant bassist... and i have a clip LED to... and i was wondering the same thing

No kidding?
You stole my Overture
Caps lock is cruise control for cool.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by BulletFrost
Whats a bassit?

A type of hound.

Anyway, Mr. Guitar man, clipping is distortion - when the pre/power amp runs out of headroom and it starts to spike to go past the limit of the said amplifier. If the signal goes past the threshold - hence, clipping - it starts to distort. With (predominantly) solid-state bass preamps, the solid-state distortion is super-harsh and is not desired. That light lets the user know when their signal is starting to go past the distortion point so they can avoid that nasty sound. Power amp distortion works the same way - except distorting the power amp can make more than a bad noise - you can start damaging your speakers. Power amp clipping is what typically blows speakers.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
so what about distortion pedals? im gonna get a ds1 in like a week of 3 , i got a ashdown perfect ten atm, will it get damaged?
Quote by goest
Can someone say necropost?

One week hardly constitutes a necropost.

And to reiterate when clip light comes up on your amp, turn down. Unless you want to damage your amp of course.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by goest
I thought it died long ago...I still call necropost!

It's his thread.

And don't get a DS-1 for bass. Guitar distortions cut the low end off a bass.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
bah! Fine...I apologize for my harsh words and misunderstanding of the forum rules...
Quote by thefitz
A type of hound.

I can NOT believe you stole that joke from me Fitz.

Man I was going to be so cool too...

Anyway TS, have you ever noticed on a sound board, that when signals get to clipping range, they start getting red? And that usually it sounds bad there?

In nature, red is a natural indicator of danger.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by WhyLater
I can NOT believe you stole that joke from me Fitz.

Man I was going to be so cool too...

Anyway TS, have you ever noticed on a sound board, that when signals get to clipping range, they start getting red? And that usually it sounds bad there?

In nature, red is a natural indicator of danger.

Stole it about a week ago, friend.

Also, red IS the sign of danger - except if you have a Fender tuning pedal. Red means your in tune, and blue means you're not. So it's like flat flat flat flat IN TUNE ASSHOLE
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
true buh i tried a mark bass with a blue one.. so it confused me.
meh ,my ds1 is fine quite beefy actually.
now thats a necropost
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115