Is it worth building this? It should add natural reverb, and maybe a weird 'not all there' effect. The mic inside would be an SM57, and if I cant find copper casing that big, I might make a ghetto version out of old coke cans.

Any input from you guys?
I haven't seen the copperphone thread, but that does look pretty cool. Worth a shot IMO.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
looks interesting, though maybe as an effect for some songs, not all. I think it would add a bit of a chorus effect as well as reverb, and it might sound treblier if you use thin copper or pop cans, and bassier if you used thick copper or pvc, so use the amps eq to even it out or get an EQ pedal or something. also, get a good quality 10 or 15 watt amp if you're going to use a SM57, don't cheap out on one and spend more on the other. other than that, looks good.
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Will the wood not kill the sound ?

You could try suspending the mic on loose springs for a kind of spring reverb-type effect. I don't know if that would work...
I'm looking to use it in heavier parts of songs, cos when i shout into a normal mic, it sounds pretty naf.
Also, I'm looking for the trebley-ness that the user above posted, so I'll go for the thin material. Do they do any kind of reflective/reverby material in 8" piping?

Quote by jimRH7
Will the wood not kill the sound ?

You could try suspending the mic on loose springs for a kind of spring reverb-type effect. I don't know if that would work...

My plan is to make 2 holes in the top of the tube, and feed string through them and up through 2 holes above in the wood, then tie them. This way, the wood wouldnt be touching the tube at all. Same thing with the mic, except it would be suspended on the tube maybe.
Last edited by time_for_food at Aug 22, 2008,
Don't use a 10 watt amp, use one of those Marshall MS-2s and gut the casing from the amp.