Obviously Avatar is a great choice but I think they require immediate payment. I don't have enough for that. I'm sending Ceriatone a check of $965 for the TMB 18 watt head with PPIMV. Now I need a cab, an avatar has a nice 2x12 cab with GH12 w.e u call em speakers for $379 plus $34 shipping...which is over $400.

I right now I have like $1,080 lol. After the Ceriatone, I will only have $115. Then I have to wait to make more $$ to get a Avatar Cab.

I figured it would be a much better idea to just look for a guitar cab at Guitar Center and have 1 year finance deal, that way I have less stress and not have to worry about immediate payments.

What is a better idea?
"(Monster cable)....oh they're durable. You can
tie up people with it
"

- Slash
i would get one at guitar center and finance it, and then if you end up running into some extra money just pay it off. that way you wont pay too much in interest.
i wish ceriatones were just a little bit cheaper, there a great price as of now, i just dont want to save some more money.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
^^^Exactly...what would be some good cabs preferably 2x12s.

1936 Marshall 2x12? I don't know
tie up people with it
"

- Slash
what kind of speakers are in those?
marshall makes great cabs, so that would be a good choice as long as its not vintage 30s or something in it.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
The 1936 2x12 cabinet features

2 12" Celestion G12T75 Speakers
150W handling
Mono or Stereo option
tie up people with it
"

- Slash
that sound like it would be good.
if your wanting some speaker breakup you wouldnt really get much with that though, but speaker breakup isnt everyones thing.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
I'd suggest Weber speakers. The Celestion reissue G12H30s have really harsh highs, they need a LOT of break in time. Weber has some great pre-rola Celestion Greenback clones that will run $105 each. They sound amazing for classic hard rock. There is a specific set of specs for them though, the guys over at the Metro boards rave about them and the clips I've heard are really convincing, I'm looking to stick a pair with my JTM45. Best of all, Ted Weber will break them in for you, free of charge.

Honestly, I'd save up for the cab later, buy a unloaded Avatar cab and stick a pair of these in there.

There are soundclips of these here:

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?t=9694&highlight=weber

The specs of the speakers are in that post as well, they're referred to as the "Stan Spec" greenbacks.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 22, 2008,
Is that what the Plexi is gonna sound like???????????????????????????????
tie up people with it
"

- Slash
His plexi is a '68 spec 100 watter I think.

The 18 watter has more sag due to a tube rectifier, but otherwise, its a similar type of voicing, a mini plexi in a box. His later clips have cascaded gain stages, but you should be able to get a fair amount of gain out of there stock.

The thing too keep in mind though, these things are really quite sensitive to a player's touch and the guitar and pickups.

But yes, do not underestimate those speakers. They're half the tone of what you're hearing.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 23, 2008,
I'm kind of impatient to get a cab along with that...I thought it would be better to get a 1936 2x12 Marshall Cab and have a 1 year finance deal. What is wrong with that?
tie up people with it
"

- Slash
Well... its not a bad idea I guess. The 1936 has two G12T-75s, which imo have a very large and pronounced bottom end. They're pretty good for metal I guess. Eventually, I think you'll find that for what you're looking to play, you'll want to switch to Greenbacks. They're really the sound of classic hard rock. But even then, two Weber speakers are very affordable for later replacement.

Or the initial idea of the Avatar with G12H30 reissues is not bad either, I just think they're a little bit stiff sounding. Its a great option and very cost effective.
Oh, also, don't get too impatient and turn the amp on without a load attached and blow out a transformer before you even get to hear what it sounds like...
Wow, u turn on a tube head without a speaker...and boom, you just broke it? Crazy

I might like the 1936 marshalls...more bottom end isn't a bad thing at all. I play Metallica and Velvet Revolver which need that thick bottom end anyway.

Plan sounds good. When I buy a speaker, how do I connect the head to it? Is there a cable I need to buy or something?
tie up people with it
"

- Slash
And yes I'll definitely get greenbacks attached to it...how mcuh would that cost to install 2 of them?
tie up people with it
"

- Slash
yes, buy a speaker cable. a GOOD speaker cable, make sure its a good speaker cable, I can't emphasize this enough.

and yeah, you turn on a tube head without a load attached, and boom, you've just fried an output transformer (the most expensive component in the amp) and will have likely taken out many other components as well.

The G12T-75 isn't a bad speaker or anything, I guess you might like it. I personally think for the 70s-80s rock, G12M or H type speakers work best, but it can't hurt to try others to see if you like the sound.

Weber's stan spec pre-rola greenback clones run $105 per speaker. Technically, you could run 1 30 watter in there and it would be fine. I'd still ask Ted Weber to see if it'd be safe. I'm not sure just how conservatively he rates his speakers.