i been doing cromatics 1234 in all strings then 2345 then 3456 and 4567

i have guitarpro set up to just increase one bpm everytime it loops the exercise

i set the metronome to start from 70bpm then when i reach 110 i stop
the increase is 1bpm everytime i loop the exercise

so i did this for today but the area behind my elbow it started to burn like hell after i was done with the exercise and my hand felt a little numb kind like if the blood flow was cut but not necesarily same feeling and my shoulder i cant seem to get it in a position that doesnt feel tension

here is a picture to show the area that i feel burning where the fat kind of hangs in your arm

how can i get rid of this tension? and why does my arm have that burning sensation is it because of lack of stamina or is some kind of tension im unaware of?

maybe some tips in position my hand on the guitar?

any help is appreciated
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
which arm? that's important
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
that piece of skin on your arm is what is known as the weenis.
Try raising/lowering your guitar via the strap?
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
sorry about that detail my right hand
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
that piece of skin on your arm is what is known as the weenis.
Try raising/lowering your guitar via the strap?

i play sitting down most of the time i saw that i had discomfort so i tried standing up and kept going at the exercise and my hand started to burn and burn more. i have my stap pretty high a little more and the cutaway will touch my face
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
well now that you're kinda proficient at the exercises, stop thinking about playing the notes and while you're doing it, focus on keeping the arm relaxed instead. and make sure you're using your wrist and finger muscles to pick; ideally, you shouldn't be using any muscles above the wrist ones. except when you do string skipping.

oh yea, if the guitar is close to touching your face, it's definitely too high.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Could possibly be RSI (Repetitive strain injury) ?

If your doing exercises over and over again just increasing 1 bpm from 70 till 110 i take it your would have done it ALOT of times so i would guess your getting RSI
Make sure your arm is not in a tense position. It is very typical for a lot of people to tilt the guitar pretty up to a pretty high angle. Avoid that if you can, as reaching the lower frets will mean lifting your arm up in a position that will possibly drain blood from it. Also, make sure your guitar rests properly on your thigh(s), or on your neck/shoulder through the strap. Also, repeating the same exercise for a very long time is not necessarily very good for your arm. Muscle memory is essential for control, but doing the very same thing over and over for too long can result in too much strain on your arm. You should also remember that the sinew, or tendons, take a longer time to strengthen than the muscles themselves, so very fast progress in speed, or extreme repetitions are not good for you. As long as you are in pain, do not play. Do whatever you can that does not hurt. I seriously injured my arm due to a too low angle, and I have a ganglion cyst that might never go away. I can still play, but I've had become quite good at working with more "correct" technique seeing that it hurts too much when I do it the wrong way. Where exactly do you feel the tension?

Edit: Seeing that you've replied saying it's your right hand, I know one thing you could try. See if you use the entire lower part of your arm for picking. Ideally, you pick with the wrist, not with your elbow. Also, make sure you somehow rest your picking hand, as using muscle for support all the time will create unnecessary strain.
Last edited by Cuddrow at Aug 22, 2008,
well now that you're kinda proficient at the exercises, stop thinking about playing the notes and while you're doing it, focus on keeping the arm relaxed instead. and make sure you're using your wrist and finger muscles to pick; ideally, you shouldn't be using any muscles above the wrist ones. except when you do string skipping.

oh yea, if the guitar is close to touching your face, it's definitely too high.

the guitar is not that high up in my face im saying if i raise it more it will touch my face
the position i find it to be the best since my left hand is able to reach the fretboard more easily

that's why im doing it at 1bpm increase and starting from 70bpm so i can check for stuff like tension my wrist is kept loose but the tension of the shoulder and the burning sensation i start to get i dont know where is coming from

im all good at beginning but as the exercise kepts going and going it starts burning up behind that weenis part

Could possibly be RSI (Repetitive strain injury) ?

i dont know man

the burning sensation goes away but if i do exercise again i start to get that burning sensation again
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
Well, I'm not sure were the burning might come from...Cuddrow gave a pretty good explanation for BOTH hands.

Also, I've noticed that, if there is ANY tension in my left - fretting - hand/arm, it makes my whole upper body get tense. It is the same the other way around too so, make sure that BOTH of your arms/hands are very relaxed.

Honestly, read Cuddrows post. It is extremely informational and there is really not too much more that needs to be said that what he has said in his post. If you need explaining, you could PM me. I'm not sure, exactly, how much I could help you without being face to face, but I can try my best.
Make sure your arm is not in a tense position. It is very typical for a lot of people to tilt the guitar pretty up to a pretty high angle. Avoid that if you can, as reaching the lower frets will mean lifting your arm up in a position that will possibly drain blood from it. Also, make sure your guitar rests properly on your thigh(s), or on your neck/shoulder through the strap. Also, repeating the same exercise for a very long time is not necessarily very good for your arm. Muscle memory is essential for control, but doing the very same thing over and over for too long can result in too much strain on your arm. You should also remember that the sinew, or tendons, take a longer time to strengthen than the muscles themselves, so very fast progress in speed, or extreme repetitions are not good for you. As long as you are in pain, do not play. Do whatever you can that does not hurt. I seriously injured my arm due to a too low angle, and I have a ganglion cyst that might never go away. I can still play, but I've had become quite good at working with more "correct" technique seeing that it hurts too much when I do it the wrong way. Where exactly do you feel the tension?

Edit: Seeing that you've replied saying it's your right hand, I know one thing you could try. See if you use the entire lower part of your arm for picking. Ideally, you pick with the wrist, not with your elbow. Also, make sure you somehow rest your picking hand, as using muscle for support all the time will create unnecessary strain.

i use my wrist when i started i used to tremolo pick with my hand going all crazy but i always try to use my wrist now because i want to tremolo pick like yngwie or steve vai

the tension i need to get rid of is the one of my shoulder i can feel it even when i start what can i do about this problem with my shoulder?

i think your right i probably keep my hand too much time in the air since is jsut constant picking and looping and icnreasing from 70 to 100bpm

i tried tilting the guitar up because i thought if i tilted up i have to lower my right hand to pick the strings andi thoguht that could help the problem but i dont tilt much unless i need to reach really high frets
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
Last edited by stefan1988 at Aug 22, 2008,
You need to adjust how you're approaching the exercise. That is way too much picking without a break. From the point that the tension kicks in, by fighting through it, you are teaching your muscles to play with tension. Endurance is how long you can play without tension setting in, not how long you can push through it.

Restructure the exercise so you play it for shorter periods. After you're done with each "rep" breath out slowly and concentrate on purging whatever tension from your body. Here's an example of how you could restructure. For each "rep" take the exercise and work it from the 1st to at least the 15th position:

100 bpm (half time, if the 110 mentioned above is 16ths, then this would be in 8ths)
125 (1/2 time)
150 (1/2 time)

That's the most you'd likely want to do, cos that's a good 20 mins work on one exercise right there. Between each rep, take at least 30 secs to a minute to breath deeply and relax your whole body.

Also, as a side note, start experimenting with other combos of this exercise, such as 1-2-3-4 on the first string, 2345 on the second, and so on. The problem with only using 1234 is that past a point it does nothing for your coordination because your left hand is doing the same thing every time.
Make sure you're picking from your wrist, not your elbow. Relax and imagine all the tension "draining" out of your body like you're a bucket with a whole in the bottom. Just let all the stress leak out of your feet from top to bottom.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by stefan1988
i use my wrist when i started i used to tremolo pick with my hand going all crazy but i always try to use my wrist now because i want to tremolo pick like yngwie or steve vai

the tension i need to get rid of is the one of my shoulder i can feel it even when i start what can i do about this problem with my shoulder?

i think your right i probably keep my hand too much time in the air since is jsut constant picking and looping and icnreasing from 70 to 100bpm

i tried tilting the guitar up because i thought if i tilted up i have to lower my right hand to pick the strings andi thoguht that could help the problem but i dont tilt much unless i need to reach really high frets

Well, try raising your right arm up sideways, as if you were to put it over your head and scratch your left ear. Now put your left hand, on your right shoulder, right at the joint, and feel how that muscle contracts. I believe it is called deltoid posterior, and it's basically what makes you capable of lifting your arm. Now, try holding your arm straight out to the side, and feel the same muscle. Slow lower it until you feel the tension disappear. It does no disappear until your arm is at a complete rest. This means that unless you find a resting position for your arm while playing, your arm will be kept at it's constant position by your shoulder, which obviously will put a strain on that muscle. Personally, I palm mute a lot, and while palm muting you really can't get it wrong. Some people swear that resting their hand on the bridge of the guitar is the best way, but that varies from guitar to guitar, and person to person. Another way, and even Malmsteen does this, is to use your pinky, and possibly your ring finger, and rest them below your e-string. Naturally, this depends a bit on what you are playing, but very long and repeating exercises should not be the majority of your practice. Tilting the guitar a bit is fine, and seeing that this problem of yours is with your right arm, and not your left, it's not that big of a deal. But the higher you hold your arm above your heart, the harder it is to pump the blood up there. Stand with your arm straight up for 10 minutes and see what happens.
You need to practice very slowly (less than 25bpm) and see if the tension "appears" at certain speeds. Then you need stop practicing at speeds that cause tension, and learn to relax into higher tempos. This is a long and difficult process - try reading my first lesson and see if it helps.

(first AT post as mod, btw. )
That's the most you'd likely want to do, cos that's a good 20 mins work on one exercise right there. Between each rep, take at least 30 secs to a minute to breath deeply and relax your whole body.

Also, as a side note, start experimenting with other combos of this exercise, such as 1-2-3-4 on the first string, 2345 on the second, and so on. The problem with only using 1234 is that past a point it does nothing for your coordination because your left hand is doing the same thing every time

yeah i know the other combinations i did the steve vai 10 workout i believe that has all the other combinations but i know them as well as the 1234 so im just doing this at the moment since is very 2nd nature to me almost and allows me more to concentrate on my right hand which seems to be more my problem at the moment but i will try practicing like you said next time

You need to practice very slowly (less than 25bpm) and see if the tension "appears" at certain speeds. Then you need stop practicing at speeds that cause tension, and learn to relax into higher tempos. This is a long and difficult process - try reading my first lesson and see if it helps.

is kind of weird for me to play at those speeds i dont get it at all how can you practice so slow let me tell you what happens to me when i try playing at those speeds

i play with guitar pro so i just follow along i hear the note ding so i hit the note with my pick and now im wating for the other note to sound so i can hit it again in that long while i have to wait for next note to ring i dont know what to do with my hand

can you give me a little more info how should i go about playing those ridicoulous low speeds for some reason i dont know what to do when is so slow

i will try to practice during the week if possible but college is kicking my ass at the moment so im studying like madman
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
Try and isolate the problem spot and get rid of it. For example, start playing, and when you notice yourself getting tense, STOP. THEN, make a consious effort to relax that part of yourself and try to make sure it stays relaxed. It's all about being aware of what you're doing, brah.
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Quote by stefan1988

can you give me a little more info how should i go about playing those ridicoulous low speeds for some reason i dont know what to do when is so slow :p

Use the extra time between notes and move really slowly and perfectly, while paying attention to tension all over. Perhaps watch my correct practice vid - link in sig.