I've been wondering, what's the pro and cons of heavy gauge strings. And I know some guitars aren't fit for heavy gauge, what all would I have to change to have my guitar fit for heavy gauge?
i dont know what the pros are but the main cons are that heavy gauge strings are difficult to bend
Difficult to bend if you are still playing in standard tuning. Will alter the balance of the spring and the strings if you are using both fixed strat type and floating bridges.

So the question is, what kind of guitar do you have?
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Your nut width, action. intonation and basically anything to do with the brigde or nut might need to be changed.

The bigger strings have a bassier sound so that could be a plus. But they are harder to bend.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
but the con is also a pro - with use, your fingers will get stronger faster. you just have to deal with it for a few days.

they're good because it will give the same notes a heavier fuller tone (although whether that's good or not is subjective), and also has better sustain. but if you're gonna put strings a lot heavier than what you already have, you're probably gonna have to adjust everything, truss rod, intonation, etc.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
heavier strings tear your fingers apart like hell during solos

edit: I use standard 10's for the D, G, B, and high E strings, a 52 for the A, which is tuned to drop D, and a 70 for the low E, which is tuned to drop A.
Last edited by FireandFlames at Aug 22, 2008,
well to my knowledge the truss rod will have to be adjusted and u may have to shave the nut a little to fit the strings.

Also generally speaking 9-10 (and sometimes 11) gauge strings are for standard tuning while 11 and up are used for drop tunings (although sometimes 10 and 11 are used for D and C standard respectively so that the tension in those tunings are similar to the tension of 9's in standard tuning). this is just what what the general thought is.
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
i think we are all forgetting the important point

heavy strings will make you a real man

a manly man
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
You may say o have girl hands or whatever put i use ernie ball super slinky 8's but they are amazing ill proberbly find that 9's or 10's but this is the first set of strings i bought
I use heavy gauge for really low tunings. Stuff like 2-3 whole steps down. If you try playing them in Standard tuning, there is pretty much no way of bending those strings. Other than that, they are not really necessary unless you just love to kill your fingers, lol.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
Well I TOM bridge and tailpiece, no floating involved. If I do go back to a trem guitar probably goin with a 7 string. I mostly play the heavy stuff, well that's what I would like to play. I'm usually in Drop C, heavy strings I said about because I found a few songs that use Drop B, but I heard that it's recommended heavier strings for that tuning. My nut does appear to be wide enough already, as is. With heavy metal, I don't think there are a lot of bends, just slides and maybe some legato. I like that deep tone you get out of the bass, without having to play an actual bass though.