I really wanted to go tube, and the V18 would be an obvious choice with the price drop, but I've heard from a lot of people that the Vypyr is really good and almost sounds like a tube and not digital like some other solid states. I pretty much play everything, Ido use cleans for soft rock, but if I get the Crate, I'm going to buy a Ts808 or a Metal Muff for metal tones.
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

Too loud for bedroom use? Thats 30w of tube
Quote by Le_Bunny

That 50% helps, I'm still stuck whether to get the Crate or Vypyr, and I must say I like the Vypyrs tone better then a Valvetronix
Quote by Le_Bunny

...anyone? ive been searching for amps for monthes I've narrowed down to these two I need help.
Quote by Le_Bunny

Have you tried both amps? I have not tried the Vypyr but it already has it's own thread. Whereas the Crate doesn't I tell ya, Peavey gets so much more love than Crate. Crate is like the crumpets of amps, always second fiddle. (Stole Mark's Betamax post re' crumpets). I tried the Crate and like it a lot. The vypyr seems "gimmicky" but I haven't tried it so I can't comment on it's tone. The Crate has good clean - classic/hard rock tones tho. I believe the Muff will get you metal tones more than the tubescreamer.
not to be a pr*ck but:

budget?
home or gig?
new are used? (opens doors)
genre (soft rock to metal?) do you have any favorite bands or challenging music?
store or on-line?

seriously, i appreciate the fact that you've narrowed it down to these two but you may want to expand a bit. Yes the Crates are on sale and yes the Vypyrs seem hot at the moment. Can you go play these some where along with some other stuff?

just tryin to help and I prolly wouldn't double post within 20 minutes like that or people will get burned out and call you out on it......ooops.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
not to be a pr*ck but:

budget?
home or gig?
new are used? (opens doors)
genre (soft rock to metal?) do you have any favorite bands or challenging music?
store or on-line?

seriously, i appreciate the fact that you've narrowed it down to these two but you may want to expand a bit. Yes the Crates are on sale and yes the Vypyrs seem hot at the moment. Can you go play these some where along with some other stuff?

just tryin to help and I prolly wouldn't double post within 20 minutes like that or people will get burned out and call you out on it......ooops.

200 (USA), 300 could be a stretch
Home only
Used is ifne, depends on amp
RHCP, Vai, Metallica, Zakk Wylde, Satch, Sabbath
Online if Crate, Store if Peavey
Quote by Le_Bunny

Thats why I said Tubescreamer or Metal Muff
Quote by Le_Bunny

If you're playing at home only and you're into heavier/higher gain stuff I'd say look at some cubes.

That being said I have never tried the vypyr and the crate is a pretty nice amp that will handle what you need, especially with a boost pedal like the MM or a TS.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
If its home only, you should get one of those new fender champ 600 with modeling. I have the plain one and its good. The modeling one looks way better though.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Tbh I think they horribly ugly but good think I'm not basing my decision on looks, I'll check that out.
Quote by Le_Bunny

I say the Vypyr considering that you want nice high gain tones. The Crate is a nice amp but even with a Tubescreamer you probably won't have the gain you want, plus even if you do the voicing could be not right for metal. I would avoid the metal muff. I bought one to use with a valve jr and I didn't dig it for very long. Plus for the price of the MM you can buy the vypyr15

Plus you have to think about how important effects, tuner, headphone jack and different amp models are to you.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
That made my choice tougher lol because I was leaning twords the Crate after the other responses. I'll have to think this over
Quote by Le_Bunny

I own a Crate V16 Palomino, and it's supposedly more vintage voiced then the new V series, and with my ZW-44 I can easily get Thrash metal tones (Metallica, Megadeth, etc) and without the pedal I can get Black Sabbath and RHCP with ease.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Hmm intresting, I'll check that pedal out

edit: WOW, thats a great tone! I might get that!
Quote by Le_Bunny

Last edited by (Metal)lica at Aug 23, 2008,
Quote by (Metal)lica
Too loud for bedroom use? Thats 30w of tube

nope. i have one. i play mine at about conversation volume. just odnt play at night and your fine.
Who here who has recommended the Vypyr has played it?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot

+1 or better yet owns one. and has played it some place other than a music store!
Last edited by mmjohn at Aug 23, 2008,
Quote by thefrigginbob
I say the Vypyr considering that you want nice high gain tones. The Crate is a nice amp but even with a Tubescreamer you probably won't have the gain you want, plus even if you do the voicing could be not right for metal. I would avoid the metal muff. I bought one to use with a valve jr and I didn't dig it for very long. Plus for the price of the MM you can buy the vypyr15

Plus you have to think about how important effects, tuner, headphone jack and different amp models are to you.

What do you mean? My Palomino (The V's brother essentially) has enough gain with an overdrive to do Rammstein and such. I mean hell, the V series even has a bit more gain then the Palominos.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I can get pretty heavy with my Tubescreamer on my Palomino without cranking it. I could get more gain if I cranked it.

That's exactly what I'm getting at.

Mine's a beast with my Double Trouble in front of it. I just use maxed out volumes on both of the DT's channels and it get's insane amounts of gain.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Hmm, well, unless anyone has any other opinions, I'm going to go ahead and order the V18, thanks everyone for the help I appreiciate (sp?) it .
Quote by Le_Bunny

Quote by MrCarrot

Seriously.

Didn't the amp just become available, so I doubt it's in many guitar shops and I've yet to see a single NAD thread about it...
Quote by T!AN
Seriously.

Didn't the amp just become available, so I doubt it's in many guitar shops and I've yet to see a single NAD thread about it...

I have one and I made a thread about it
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by thefrigginbob
I have one and I made a thread about it

Ahh... I missed that because you created the thread before you got the amp. Not that it matters, because you're one of the users I know that doesn't spew complete BS.
I played the V18 again today. It has a lot of gain on tap but you really have to watch your settings or it gets dark. I like the cleans too. It was $199 at a local SamAsh. For that price, or the $149 at GC, it's a good buy. (Seeing as you will have to wait with GC for who knows how long until they get a shipment).
I really like the cube 60 as a home practise amp. It has more than enough gain for most and does not sound bad. The cube 60 also has enough power if you should ever wish to jam with some friends from time to time. It sounds good quiet and still sounds good when it is loud. The biggest drawback is that you are pretty much stuck with its built in effects.

If the peavey vyper is as gooodd as some say it then it could be one great home practise amp. I have not tried i yet but I will when I get the time.

At the moment i am running a moddified Traynor YCV20 I can go from fender like cleans to marshall like overdrives using an attenuator and an eq pedal but if I want mesa like bruuutallz I would have to sacrifice too much or do some really complex mods that I don't really care care to do.