I want my flying V so I'm gonna sell my Epiphone G-400. Just wanted to know if $500 is a fair price. I'm including the guitar, which has a Gibson 500T in the bridge and 496R in the neck. I paid $400 for the guitar. I'm taking the pickups from the v and putting them in the sg. I'm also adding a Roadrunner gig bag that I paid $60 for and a Digitech RP80 which I paid $80 for. Also including 3 cables.
pics? condition?
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
your selling a lot of items for 500 dollars which when bought brand new costs 540 dollars? im kinda confused by what you're saying but if that is what your saying then no thats not a fair price. not even close.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by JELIFISH19
I want my flying V so I'm gonna sell my Epiphone G-400. Just wanted to know if $500 is a fair price. I'm including the guitar, which has a Gibson 500T in the bridge and 496R in the neck. I paid $400 for the guitar. I'm taking the pickups from the v and putting them in the sg. I'm also adding a Roadrunner gig bag that I paid $60 for and a Digitech RP80 which I paid $80 for. Also including 3 cables.

So, this is what's going on:

You have an Epiphone SG, a gig bag, 3 cables and an RP80. You're then going to put the pickups from your new Flying V (Epiphone/Gibson/something else?) into the SG.

In other words, you're selling a G-400 with Flying V pickups and some other stuff thrown in.

Secondhand G-400s tend to go for around 300 or slightly below. I reckon you shouldn't be charging much more than 350-400 for the set, depending on the condition of the instrument.

Keep in mind that while most people will appreciate a gig bag, the addition of the RP80 might make it less attractive to some; you should consider selling it as a separate lot.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
I would pay about $380, the RP80 is pure crap.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
if i buy something used i expect to pay at the very leas 20% less than the price new. and if you sell a guitar no one cares about the other **** that you throw in with it, the buyer will still think "is this guitar worth $500?"
Quote by SRVNumberOne
if i buy something used i expect to pay at the very leas 20% less than the price new. and if you sell a guitar no one cares about the other **** that you throw in with it, the buyer will still think "is this guitar worth $500?"

To a certain degree this is true, although most buyers do tend to favor guitars sold with a case or gig bag.
I know the guitar usually sells between 260 and 300, but the gibson pickups are worth $220. I'm putting dirty fingers in the V so I have no use for the stock ones, might as well put them in the sg for added value. I want to sell everything together cuz I have no use for any of it anymore. And I would rather have the money all at once to help pay for the v. I don't have pics cuz my camera is broken. But there is a pretty noticeable chip on the headstock, otherwise, it's in good condition. $500 was negotiable, I just want more than $450. $500 was wishful thinking.
Quote by JELIFISH19
I know the guitar usually sells between 260 and 300, but the gibson pickups are worth $220. I'm putting dirty fingers in the V so I have no use for the stock ones, might as well put them in the sg for added value. I want to sell everything together cuz I have no use for any of it anymore. And I would rather have the money all at once to help pay for the v. I don't have pics cuz my camera is broken. But there is a pretty noticeable chip on the headstock, otherwise, it's in good condition. $500 was negotiable, I just want more than $450. $500 was wishful thinking.

The thing is, people don't care too much about the pickups; some are planning to swap them out anyway with humbuckers from their own favorite brand, while others simply don't really know/care about pickups in general.

Keep in mind that Gibson humbuckers aren't to everyone's taste; there are plenty of people who don't want to pay a lot more for them. Putting new pickups in a guitar you're selling will not result in a much higher price; you'll only get a small portion of their actual value. Besides, they might have cost you around 200$, but their current value is considerably lower, especially since they've already been installed in a guitar before.

Also, most of the people attracted to the G-400 are beginning or intermediate players who might not get the point of paying more for some different pickups.

Again, this can be prevented by making separate lots; if you want top dollar for any of these items, don't sell them as a set.

Selling them separately doesn't require much more effort and in the end it'll probably get you more money (and more positive feedback).

The chip on the headstock could be an issue with some buyers. Make sure you prominently feature it in your ad.

As an example, you might want to show it this way:

In this case you can clearly see the chip and you can also get an idea of the size.

As for the price, I'm sticking with my original estimate; 350 to 400 for the set.

If you want more, split them into:

-guitar and gig bag
(-pickups)
-RP80
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Aug 23, 2008,