I'm In the market looking for a new amp, preferably tube, though it doesn't necessarily have to be. I want something with the best warmest tone, at gig volumes, and with a budget of 700. Now I just wen't to the guitar store and I have a whole bunch of options. I'm choosing between the Vox AC15, The Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, fender blues deluxe,and line 6 spider valve 112. I need some opinions on a lot of these.

First off i like the Vox with its beautiful cleans and a nice overdrive. The only problem is that I'm not exactly sure if it would be loud enough for gigging, because at full volume it seems its just right, but i don't know if for some reason i might need it a bit louder. My experiences with using mics is non existent, but i know some people preffer using a smaller amp with a greater tone, and using a mic which might be an option. Another problem I have with it is that sometimes i play alternative/hard rock type music and rarely metal, but it seems as though this amp could not handle that type of distortion and that I might need a pedal, though i'm not sure if i will be able to get a good distortion using a pedal. Plus If I get this one I'll have an extra 100 bucks to spend on a petal.

Next the Hot Rod Deluxe and blues deluxe, which again i like the cleans and its nice warm overdrive but it doesn't seem like it would suit my alt rock hard rock needs, and i wouldn't have the extra cash to spend on the pedal, though they are definitely louder than the vox.I think Guitar center is having a sale on them for 600 bucks next week though, when i asked the guy about the amp he said it was a mistake, but i think he was just lying because they're having a mystery sale thing next week.

Next is the line 6 spider valve which I'm not as fond of in the cleans and the nice bluesy overdrive, but it has crapload of effects which at best are pretty good but nothing too impressive.

If you guys have any other suggestions such as some good solid state amps in that range that are good in the clean sounds, blues, alt rock and hard rock that would be great. The only problem is that i refuse to buy anything that i can't play, so it has to be available at a guitar center or samash. Please don't suggest marshall's, as much as i like them the lower end ones suck.
That literally hurt my eyes to read. Paragraphs next time.....
EDIT: You changed it...

Anyway, don't worry about volume for gigs. At any decent venue you'll be mic'd so it's a non issue. I honestly don't have any first hand experience with it, but the AC15 is supposed to be pretty 'ho hum' but if you like it....

From the sounds of it you may want to get either the Vox or the Fender for your gigging purposes and then a tiny SS amp like a Roland Microcube for your occasional metal and hard rock needs.
First off, knock the spider right out of your head. That is a low quality practice amp and is not suitable for what you need.

I'm not totally sure what genres you're trying to play, but I will say that both the BD and the AC15 are nice amps. You may have a hard time keeping the AC15 clean at gigging volumes. Add an OD with either of these amps and they should do hard rock.

I would also look at a peavey classic 30 as it's a nice amp in your price range.

Please post back with what you specifically want in your tone and whether or not you want to have super sparkling cleans at gigging volumes.

Edit: Ok, I missed that, blues, rock and alt rock. Both the amps your mentioned and the one I mentioned should have enough gain though if you feel its not enough a simple overdrive or boost pedal should give you more than you need.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
yeah i would like to have cleans at loud volumes for sure, but you guys don't have any other suggestions. I'll check out the peavy. Maybe I didn't make it clear but i need something pretty versatile, which is the only reason i even considered the spider(my current amp), but i wasn't sure if the other amps were versatile enough. Maybe i should get a bunch of pedals?
yeah I would just get some high quality stomp boxes to get the versitility that you want.
The classic 30 is a pretty versatile amp. It can do metal with a OD in front boosting it. The Fender and the Vox can do hard rock but not much heavier.

I don't consider a spider to be versatile at all since for an amp to be versatile you need to be able to get a variety of good tones out of it. I can't get any good tones out of a spider.

A Traynor YCV50 blue is a nice amp in your price range as well. Very versatile with great cleans a wonderful overdrive. If you're willing to go used a Mesa F30 or F50 is a great amp that also has nice cleans and great overdrive. The mesa has the most gain out of any of the amps mentioned and can easily do metal on its own. That's not to say that classic rock type gain is not to be had from this amp though.
yeah i don't mind used but the problem is trying the thing out. For musical instruments i HAVE to be there and try it out
The AC15 is superior than both the HRD and the BD, as well as the Classic 30.

Look at your local Craigslist for a used Silverface Bassman. You could probably also find something like this http://sacramento.craigslist.org/msg/808297356.html for around 750-800, and a used AC30 for a similar amount.
Understandable. Check out craigslist, if they won't let you try before you buy, then don't.
Quote by imgooley
The AC15 is superior than both the HRD and the BD, as well as the Classic 30.

Look at your local Craigslist for a used Silverface Bassman. You could probably also find something like this http://sacramento.craigslist.org/msg/808297356.html for around 750-800, and a used AC30 for a similar amount.

i respect your opinion but i heard the AC15 is kinda meh. Not talking AD here. And the Classic30 is a great choice for this person. Otherwise, I like your suggestions.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
i respect your opinion but i heard the AC15 is kinda meh. Not talking AD here. And the Classic30 is a great choice for this person. Otherwise, I like your suggestions.

Not to mention it's not gonna stay very clean at gigging volumes.

Edit: I will say that the HRD and the C30 are a bit meh as well. Not that they're bad amps, but they are on the lower tier of things.
although i do like my HRD, and with an od it can get pretty heavy, and its cleans are a bit hard to beat in the price range,but i think a classic 30 might be better for you if you dont want to buy an OD pedal. there are some nice mesas you can get used in the $700 range, but i cant think of the name of the amp, f30 maybe?
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

I heard u like mudkipz, but I'm not sure if it's true.

The AC15 IMO, has better build quality than the Classic 30 and more pure toanz.

The reason why people say it's 'meh' is because it's not an AC30, which it never was. It is just different than it's big brother. So people buy it expecting that tone, and are disappointed.

It has a brighter sound than the AC30, but not as bright as a fender. Creamy overdrive and a spongy response. Very good for blues and alt. rock.
Quote by chea_man
although i do like my HRD, and with an od it can get pretty heavy, and its cleans are a bit hard to beat in the price range,but i think a classic 30 might be better for you if you dont want to buy an OD pedal. there are some nice mesas you can get used in the $700 range, but i cant think of the name of the amp, f30 maybe?

Yup F30 is a very nice amp. F50's good if you want a little more power and an amp with 6l6s instead of El84s
Quote by Kevin Saale
Not to mention it's not gonna stay very clean at gigging volumes.

Edit: I will say that the HRD and the C30 are a bit meh as well. Not that they're bad amps, but they are on the lower tier of things.

An AC15 is known as the loudest 15 watt amp around. Comes with a better stock speaker than the C30, too.
a lot of mixed reactions on the ac15 and fenders i see, but thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming.
That's a good reason to try for yourself. Everyone has different tastes.
Quote by imgooley
An AC15 is known as the loudest 15 watt amp around. Comes with a better stock speaker than the C30, too.

i just want to add that im not really a fan of the AC15. i agree that its kind of "meh"
thats my personal opinion though
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
yeah i'm going back to the guitar store tomorrow, thats why i am asking for suggestions. I only have so much money, so If you think theres something is better for the price tell me about it, but i'm not expecting to get the most ridiculous tone for 700 bucks,just the best at the price range.
Last edited by ubtguitarist at Aug 22, 2008,