me and my friend jacob are finally getting down to business and making our first amp. its a kit designed by torres engineering, and we hope this will give up a better understanding so one day, we can design our own amps. i'll be posting pictures on my site later of our progress.

has anyone ever done something like this? i'm interested to see how it turned out if anyone has done a kit or made an amp.

wish us the best of luck!
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
I built a JTM45 from Metropoulos parts, it was a great experience, I learned loads from it. Good luck to you with your build. What are you building?

edit: And don't forget to always drain the caps.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 22, 2008,
sweet man. sounds like fun. what amp are you building?
and also, you would probably get alot more help in guitar building and customizing
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I'm interested in what amp it is as well.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
its a torres engineering blues deluxe. basically, a fender blues deluxe. but the cool thing is we do not have a chassis or cabinet, so we can do whatever we want with the looks of the cabinet and finishes. and al, what do you mean by drain the caps?
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Zendrive

if you dont know what drain the caps means, then you need to do ALOT of research before you start to build this amp so that you dont die.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Eventually when you're done, you will need to fire the amp up filling those nice big round filter caps with about 300VDC. That's a lot of juice and will give you a (not so) nice shock. You'll need to check voltages to make sure you've wired everything right and probing around under an amp's chassis can be pretty dangerous. So there are just always a few safety tips that the instructions will be sure to point out I'm sure (along with anyone who is experienced with electronics). When probing, always use one hand only, place the other in your pocket. Wear rubber soled shoes. Drain the caps before going back to work inside the chassis if you've filled those caps with charge. The instructions will likely show you how.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 22, 2008,
Quote by al112987
Eventually when you're done, you will need to fire the amp up filling those nice big round filter caps with about 300VDC. That's a lot of juice and will give you a (not so) nice shock. You'll need to check voltages to make sure you've wired everything right and probing around under an amp's chassis can be pretty dangerous. So there are just always a few safety tips that the instructions will be sure to point out I'm sure (along with anyone who is experienced with electronics). When probing, always use one hand only, place the other in your pocket. Wear rubber soled shoes. Drain the caps before going back to work inside the chassis if you've filled those caps with charge. The instructions will likely show you how.

this did come with a seperate pamphlet called amp basics, and it said what you described just didn't label it as drain the caps. but yes, i get what your saying.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Zendrive

ok thanks sunburst PR. i would like to see the end of my project haha
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster