I was wondering, a 30 watt tube amp would be about as loud as a _______ watt SS amp?

I know that watts do not measure volume, but in general about how loud?
Its hard to compare something like that.

a 30 watt Marshall JTM45 is much louder than a 30 watt Peavey Classic 30. Both are tube.
there is so much more that goes into it than just watts.
but put it this way, 30-50 watts is plenty for gigging, no matter ss or tube.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
^True but a rough correlation is possible. Tube amps in general are 2 to 2.5 times louder than SS amps.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by chea_man
there is so much more that goes into it than just watts.
but put it this way, 30-50 watts is plenty for gigging, no matter ss or tube.

Wrong.

SS 75 watt Line 6 couldn't fill the small room my band used to practice in, I had to put it on a table and stand directly in front of it to hear myself, and at that time we were just a four piece.

But yeah, the basic way most thing of it as, is that SS is double tube wattage. i.e. my Mesa 55 watt head pumps around about as loud as my old 110 watt Peavey SS head.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by HavokStrife
Wrong.

SS 75 watt Line 6 couldn't fill the small room my band used to practice in, I had to put it on a table and stand directly in front of it to hear myself, and at that time we were just a four piece.

But yeah, the basic way most thing of it as, is that SS is double tube wattage. i.e. my Mesa 55 watt head pumps around about as loud as my old 110 watt Peavey SS head.

Again, not a fair comparison. A 50 watt tube amp pumps out about the same amount of volume as a 100 watt tube amp.
Quote by ewsrocks
I was wondering, a 30 watt tube amp would be about as loud as a _______ watt SS amp?

I know that watts do not measure volume, but in general about how loud?

Tube is apparently around 15% more louder than SS. (I've heard people say tube = twice as loud is false)
Last edited by AdamDK at Aug 22, 2008,
Quote by HavokStrife
Wrong.

apparently your wrong because ive used some kind of 30 watt solid state in a live situation before. un mic'd. i had it on like 4.

its almost like when i said, "theres alot more to volume than watts" i was correct.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
apparently your wrong because ive used some kind of 30 watt solid state in a live situation before. un mic'd. i had it on like 4.

its almost like when i said, "theres alot more to volume than watts" i was correct.

Yes... but a "Live Situation" can include anything from a room with 100 people in it to an auditorium with 1500 people in it..... so there are variables there.

Anyway, tube amps tend to be louder than SS amps, especially at lower wattages, but it really depends on the amp. Like was mentioned earlier in the thread, a 30 watt JTM45 is louder than a Classic 30, and a helluva lot louder than most 100+ watt SS Stacks from my experience.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.