some famous bands have songs with clean sounds on their guitar, but then it will switch to hard distortion and sometimes they dont use pedals, how do they do it?
Quote by phizz.ed
some famous bands have songs with clean sounds on their guitar, but then it will switch to hard distortion and sometimes they dont use pedals, how do they do it?

Footswitch from there amp maybe? Do you have a specific video or something that shows a band not using a pedal?
If you're basing this on a video, it's because they just didn't bother putting their whole rig in the video. Most videos, the guitars aren't even plugged in. If you're basing it on a live show, it's possible they've got their guitar tech controlling their effects rig for them.
Quote by negative1
If you're basing this on a video, it's because they just didn't bother putting their whole rig in the video. Most videos, the guitars aren't even plugged in. If you're basing it on a live show, it's possible they've got their guitar tech controlling their effects rig for them.

+1
Quote by negative1

Yup, either this or a well-placed footswitch, most likely.
this made me remember the time when i thought the great guitarists had an extra switch on their guitars to turn distortion on and off lol. although i never saw such thing, i believed it with all the strength i had in my heart.

and obviously:
pedals = automobile thing
so all of you are saying
either a thech is doing it for them or they do use pedals, but in the vids, they are not showing it?
Quote by phizz.ed
so all of you are saying
either a thech is doing it for them or they do use pedals, but in the vids, they are not showing it?

Yeah, you wouldn't see the techie anyway, and the camera may just miss the shot of the guitarist using a footswitch if applicable.