well basically most if not all of my friends have sausage fingers and cant play guitar due to the fact that one finger covers two strings when they attemmpt to hold down the string. i for one have the exact opposite, but is it hopless for them? like my friend was trying to hold down an A chord except he couldnt without touchnig like 2 other strings.

is it hopeless for them?
no. look at michael romeo. he has chubby fingers but he still shreds
To deny our own impulses, is to deny the very thing that makes us human.
Quote by necrophagist!
no. look at michael romeo. he has chubby fingers but he still shreds

is there a special guitar he uses?

because they cant hold it on my strat or even my lp
They need a guitar with a wide enough neck, I guess, but it's probably that they need to examine their fretting technique. With sausage fingers, you've got to arch your fingers more, keep them further off of the frets (i.e. you can't be lazy with fretting like most people are).

Oh, and that Michael Romeo thing. He's a perfect example. He defies all logic.
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.
I had a friend like this. Basically, in trying to teach him the basics, you need to work harder on building movement and articulation in your hands. Another thing that can help is a guitar with larger (jumbo) frets and a wider fretboard. A wider nut size also does not hurt. You need to commit to building your ability to control and manipulate them. If you don't want to do that, you'll probably not get proficient at guitar
i have fingers that are fat as ****, and it helps me to do chords so much easier than everyone else. most people have to use three fingers for a chord like an E or an A but like you mentioned, I can use my one finger to cover two strings. in nearly all ways, it's an advantage. it may be a little difficult at first but it's not like you can't play a guitar any better, just play to your strengths.
They need to practice. The problem isn't that they have fat fingers, they aren't using their fat fingers right.
It's probably more that they just aren't used to holding chords properly and need time to get used to it.
Ain't nothin wrong, ain't nothin right, and still I sit and lie awake all night...
ed king from lynard skynard had the biggest fingers i`ve ever seen . they were double the size of every body else`s and he can play both rhythm and lead very well. idk if this will help but the strings on my jackson kelly which has a floyd rose on it, have much more space between them than my other non floyd rose equiped guitars. i also have big fingers and i can tell the difference when i play the jackson .
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Quote by josephcoolness
is there a special guitar he uses?

because they cant hold it on my strat or even my lp

I don't think so, but his fingers do kinda narrow at the tips so he doesn't really have much of a problem with precision
Quote by zObiPhiOn
I came at the

-"Oh Lars, seek and destroy my backside"
-"yeah Kirk ride my lightning!"

██████████████████████___________██████████████████████
______________________███████████████████
██████████████████████___________██████████████████████
Quote by xrawrockkillsx
this.

he just has bad technique.
probably lazy hands and fingers.

The fact that he is blind probably doesn't help

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
I have FAT, SHORT, STUBBY nubs with knuckles that pass for fingers and proper technique is a must!

Tell your friends arch their fingers as much as possible, finger stings with only the tip of the finger(if possible), and only plant the tip of your thumb on the neck(don't hold it like a bat).

After a while your friends 'ill find the tollerence their fingers allow them and they'll find a way to play more "naturally".

hope that helps

PS. It pisses me off when I see people with long ass ET fingers
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
Quote by plucky duck
I have FAT, SHORT, STUBBY nubs with knuckles that pass for fingers and proper technique is a must!

PS. It pisses me off when I see people with long ass ET fingers

You must really hate Paul Gilbert then

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
Quote by MulanoSG
You must really hate Paul Gilbert then

yes. And Tom Morello and dozens of others hahaha
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
that's why fat fingered people play bass! actually you have to arch your hand and fingers and maybe get a thin neck. not like a schecter.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I got some sausage fingers and I play very well. They don't slow me down or anything.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Everyone has this problem. The first time I tried playing an A chord, my fingers muted all the strings too. Now I can do it in my sleep.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by apak
that's why fat fingered people play bass! actually you have to arch your hand and fingers and maybe get a thin neck. not like a schecter.

+1
HI
wide neck guitars might help like a wizard II neck. Gibson/fender necks tend to be not a wide
I have fat fingers, but I can play perfectly well on any guitar Its just a matter of learning technique/working out a decent way of playing. When I started out I couldn't play an open A at all, but now I don't need to think about it.

The wide neck and large frets on my Ibanez domake it much easier to play than anything else. Bass is easy to play, while I find the mandolin nearly impossible. The frets are ridiculously small.

Basically, you just have to arch your fingers a lot. Hell, I play violin, and those are tiny.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
lol tell them to stop eating sausages and go jogging. But seriously that guy in the video has meat slab hands and he seems pretty damn good they just need to alter their fingers a bit more and i agree with trying a wider neck like the wizard II
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
B.B. King seems to manage just fine.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
hey man, I got stubby little fingers, too. It's all about finding what works for you. A lot of guys here have said that arching your fingers will be necessary. I agree. With fat fingers you can't be sloppy with your fretting. But once the callouses build up, leads are a lot easier. Also, there's an armless dude on youtube who can play Mary Jane's Last Dance with his feet. If he can do it, then so can I and all the other link-sausage-fingered guitarists.
TS fails at perseverance.

/thread.

Edit: Whoever said Johnny Hiland is blind that's not exactly true: he's legally blind (can't operate some machinery or drive) because he has a disability where he sometimes loses control of where his eyes are pointing. His eyes do actually still work fine apart from that.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Aug 23, 2008,
I have huge fingers, but I'm of the mindset that it doesn't much affect anything.

All it boils down to is practice.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks