Ok, so since ive turned 18, the thought of a credit card hasnt hit me. I was thinking about getting one.

Here was an idea that ran through my head. My computer is pretty old, an iMac G3. I was thinking about buying a new iMac and putting it on one of their credit cards. It would be like 30 bcks a month. I know I could afford it, but the interest kind of freaks me out. On the other hand, I do need a new computer, and I think this would help build credit. Thoughts? What did you do for your first credit?
Why are we so wicked indecisive
Let's hit the streets with toy explosives
And let's enjoy what we have
Don't buy stuff just because you're gonna get a credit card. You'll be ****ed in the end. Buy stuff that you really need. If your current computer still works and you can still use it without any problems keep it and save your money. Otherwise buy the iMac.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

DO NOT USE CREDIT CARDS.

believe me.

stay the **** away from credit cards unless you can immediately pay your debt.
seriously, they'll **** you up more than you can ever imagine.
DONT USE CREDIT CARDS

I did when it was 0 interest then they took that away and i was left with 30 % interest over 12 months..so if 1000 bucks then you would need to pay 1300. i did party pretty hard, bought a 5150 and a macbook pro and a bike
#1 Don't Do It credit cards are a scam.
#2 Unless you have good credit most credit card companys start you out around $250-$500 limit.
#3 The interest you pay will be crazy if you can make the payment of " " save that money every month till you get enough you'll be much happier.
by LazyLatinoRocke
At least you didn't walked in on your cousin and girlfriend going anal.
Quote by CoreysMonster
DO NOT USE MACS.

Quote by ZceneXid
DONT USE MACS

Fix'd.
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.
CREDIT CARDS ARE MADE TO **** PEOPLE OVER!

Please, just stay away from them. They are made with the intent to ruin peoples lives.
Quote by Athetosis
Fix'd.

WRONG

although I am not a fan of macs, they can be very useful, depending on who you are and what you need your computer to do. if you are a casual, internet-surfing user, a mac is your best bet. if you need to get real work done, get a PC... my 2 cents, anyway...

EDIT: and using a credit card to buy something you can't afford is like signing a contract to be allowed to be ass-raped every month of your life.
If you're going to get a credit card, shop around. Find one which offers 0% interest for the first 10 months + on purchases. Set yourself a limit, say £1000. Make your purchases, destroy the card and repay @ £100 p/m.

That way, you don't get screwed for any interest at all. It's the best gind of deal you could get.

If you know you can currently, and forseeably pay this debt off without any drastic financial repercussions, then by all means, go ahead and enjoy yourself.

Edit: If instead of paying the money directly back in to the credit card account, you could open a mini cash ISA, save the money in there, gain a few £££ doing so, then pay the card off in one lump sum and having more money then you started with.

Quote by CoreysMonster
WRONG

Agreed. People don't like the Mac OS because it's not reassuringly complicated enough.
Last edited by saphrax at Aug 22, 2008,
Don't go to free credit report.com my dad signed up for it and it charges you 15$ a month
If its your first credit card, then it should have an introductory period in which you don't have to pay any interest off, just the balance due itself. So make sure if you want to make a big purchase without having to pay any interest that you'll be able to pay it off when the introductory period ends.
The only reason I use my credit credit card is to build a good line of credit. I can put all my purchases on debit if I wanted too. Save money and buy it with your credit when you know you can pay it off right away. That's what I do. Don't be stupid.
Quote by Thornography
Get a debit card.

This, and just be responsible with your money. I just got a student checking account for my 17th birthday, with a debit card.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
I have never had a problem with credit cards, as long as you aren't an idiot who doesn't pay off your bills you'll be fine. A lot of times people can't control their spending habits and a credit card is not for those people, or people who don't have their priorities in order when it comes to money. I use it however for big purchases, like instead of taking a grand out of my bank account for something just put down 100 bucks a month on my credit card is easier. Yeah there's interest charges but again, pay your bills on time and you'll start getting credit cards that have less interest rates.

While it's unfortunate that people get themselves in trouble with credit cards, they are also required to boost credit scores. You need good credit to take out loans if you want to buy a house or a new car for example in the future.
Last edited by OpposingForce at Aug 22, 2008,
Quote by Steel8909
The only reason I use my credit credit card is to build a good line of credit. I can put all my purchases on debit if I wanted too. Save money and buy it with your credit when you know you can pay it off right away. That's what I do. Don't be stupid.

This. It's important to build your credit.
Quote by Athetosis
Fix'd.

The topic at hand is "credit cards," not "please, Athetosis, tell me what you think about my own choices." You hate Macs, great. This is everyone not giving a ****.

Quote by aharlequinvow
Don't go to free credit report.com my dad signed up for it and it charges you 15$ a month

Yeah, somehow people miss the entire "offer applies with enrollment in Triple Advantage" part of that commercial.

That said, bank card.
I was turned down for bill me later, and im waitin gon a reply from that credit card they offer on the site. I dont need, need the iMac, it would be nice to have. Worst case, ill take out a gas card or something.
Why are we so wicked indecisive
Let's hit the streets with toy explosives
And let's enjoy what we have
Depends on your bank, really. I have a "student" credit card. Put my ES-335 on it. I'm paying 5,67$/month of interest.

Ask your financial institutions about the Interest rate available, and if they have programs for students.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
You're going to be denied for pretty much any credit card offer..since it's your first card you're basically going to have to wait until you get an offer in the mail, and it's probably going to have a ****ty interest rate and limit. You gotta build your credit to get better offers