I have been searching a lot of information about guitar technique and a lot about guitar in general.

Well i got to the conclusion to stop anchoring, i used to rest my hand on the bridge saddles.

But i still would get a lot of string noises from picking another strings, bends and stuff.

And i saw thread that talked about muting, and i also watched FreepowerUG video lesson about Muting Unwanted String Noise.

But if you always have to be muting how can you not anchor?

i mean, you have to have you hand resting on the lower strings, and floating above the strings when playing on the lower strings.

But it would be akward to rest it and then have your hand floating.

but also if you just rest your hand some times to mute, i think its very hard, because if you for example want to do a sequence of bends with fast notes after it you have to bend but, you would have to rest your hand, then have your hand floating above the strings, and then again and again. but its hard, and i think you lose speed.

So i dont know what to do. also if you do this, how should i practice?

practice with my hand resting on the lower strings, or floating, or both?

I dont know how to mute the unwanted noise you get from bends beside resting my palm on the lower strings. i really need help, i really have been looking for information to become a good player (and i spend a good amount of time)

and i really dont want to practice something that is wrong.

i really need help, could some one help me?

Thanks in advance.
uhmm where did you see someone saying your picking hand should be flying around?
i, and i think everyone else, always have the picking hand resting over the strings.
and it's something that comes pretty naturally, i'd say. it was for me.
What I do is, I have my hand floating off of the strings, but only a small distance, it leaves my hand free to move between strings, but I can quite easily rest it at any time if need be. That's how I would do it if I were you. It works well for me. So like you stated, it is a mixture of muting and not muting.
Not a huge fan of bees
Anchoring is when your hand is stuck to a specific point on the guitar 100% of the time (bridge, high E, whereever), and muting is when you mute strings you don't want to ring out.

You can touch the guitar, just don't get "stuck" to it.

Mostly, take your time and chill out. It takes time to get good, and it takes time to improve.

As regards bending licks, the difficulty with muting one of the reasons that most people don't play with wide bends quickly. Plus, bending is pretty difficult physically.
Quote by alexcp94
should i always play with my hand resting on the lower strings?

Generally, yes. You need to have your palm muting the strings that aren't being played, but as Freepower said, don't get stuck in that one position. Your hand needs to have the mobility to move freely between the strings.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
I really don't mean to hijack the thread, but I had a similar question. I don't have any problem with my picking hand persay, but my arm gets sweaty and tends to stick to my guitar body after I play for awhile. Any suggestions? It's really impairing my speed.
Quote by Iron_Dude
Generally, yes. You need to have your palm muting the strings that aren't being played, but as Freepower said, don't get stuck in that one position. Your hand needs to have the mobility to move freely between the strings.

the problem is, when should i pick like that and when not?

also, how should my picking be when practicing?
Quote by alexcp94
how should my picking be when practicing?

Exactly the same as when it's fast.

If you want more detail than that you need to ask a better question.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Exactly the same as when it's fast.

If you want more detail than that you need to ask a better question.

i dont know when should i pick with my hand resting on the lower strings, and when should i practice with my hand floating above the strings, or when to use each one.

If i am lets say... playing a lick wich involves doing something like this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=VbFThuSTR_4 at 0:25, do i have to rest my hand when doing the bend, and then pick with my hand floating above the string, and repeating, or should i leave it there till i finish that?

I dont know when to use each one, or if i should practice with my hand resting above the strings or resting on the lower strings, or if both when should i practice with each one?
Last edited by alexcp94 at Aug 23, 2008,
It's never good to have your arm completely off of the guitar.

As for the lick, I'm not really sure what you are asking. If it's just about keeping your hand on the bridge as you play it, then just watch how that guy plays it.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by Freepower
Anchoring is when your hand is stuck to a specific point on the guitar 100% of the time (bridge, high E, whereever), and muting is when you mute strings you don't want to ring out.

You can touch the guitar, just don't get "stuck" to it.

Mostly, take your time and chill out. It takes time to get good, and it takes time to improve.

As regards bending licks, the difficulty with muting one of the reasons that most people don't play with wide bends quickly. Plus, bending is pretty difficult physically.

this.
Quote by pint07
Lies.

Learn to play ska. It'll fix all of this.

Wha? I said arm, not wrist. I'm fully aware that it's impossible to chop when you have your wrist set against the bridge. And yes, I said chop because I play bluegrass mandolin, which is essentially played the same way as ska guitar.

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
how should i practice then?

with a floating hand, or with my hand resting on the lower strings?

i need to mute with my right hand i suppose.
again?...
many tutorials will tell you to always do that. and it does make sense.
the only time i'm not doing that, and certainly many more, is when picking arpeggios (letting the notes ring) and when strumming chords.
I didnt read most of it.

But for me, instead of letting my hand float, I put the palm of my hand above the low E string.

and I hold my pick a wierd way so I pick most of the strings by only using my thumb and pointer finger.

Try resting the bottom of your palm behind the high e string around the bridge area.
Quote by alexcp94
how should i practice then?

with a floating hand, or with my hand resting on the lower strings?

i need to mute with my right hand i suppose.

A hand which is free from attachment to a point but also gives satisfactory muting.