Poll: What should I do to my guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: What should I do to my guitar?
Brian May style
5 33%
Tele deluxe pickguard
4 27%
Repaint (Post what color)
3 20%
Fix the chip
1 7%
Keep mostly the same
2 13%
Voters: 15.
Page 1 of 3
A few months ago, one of my friends gave me a Harmony 02813 and the pickguard is really scratched up. I wasn't able to find anyone who makes a pickguard for it (since its a "student model" which is just saying it sucks). Anyway, I was thinking since I got it for free, I could put a new pickguard on it and make it look a little better, maybe draw attention away from the cracking paint. Also, I am planning on installing tuners because they are really screwed up. Any suggestions on tuner brands? I was looking at the ones from guitarfetish.com, but they're real cheap, so I don't know how good they'll be. I'll post pictures of the guitar soon if wanted.
for tuners, look into stewmac's styles. decent stuff.

pics of the guitar would be helpful, and it's not too expensive to repaint a guitar, especially one that you got for free. Pick gaurds aren't easy to find for those cheap models, but you can repaint them as well, to got with the new paintjob!

enjoy refinishing, it's a fun experience!
------

Shwiggity.
I would say if **** comes to face for the pick guard, you could always find a similar one that almost fits and file it does to proper size using the other one as a patter. (But I am not experienced at all!)
Here's a pic of the body:

Pic of the Headstock:

Pic of Pickguard:

I also notice there is no pickup selector, so I'm guessing that the tone knob blends the 2 pickups? I'm new to this, so I don't really know what I'm talking about.
Last edited by Sonis3 at Aug 22, 2008,
reshape that ugly headstock its foul
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
I would, but I have no experience wood carving. It is really ugly.
I like the look of the body. Looks like Johnny Ramone's mosrite.
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
well, assuming this body wood actually has some tonal integrity to it, this thing could actually turn out okay!

remove the pick guard, and take a picture, because you may be able to:
a) replace the pickups with some better ones
and b) reshape your current pickguard, and save yourself some cash!

i would love to get my hands on one of these, i'd absolutely mod the living HELL out of it!

you could even pull an ibanez shape headstock out of that bad boy if you could somehow get a template
------

Shwiggity.
Well, here's the pic of the pickups, and a closeup of the pots.
Luckily, Its swimming pool routed (I think thats the term ).

Hope this helps!

Also, you can buy a guitar like this for about $55. http://musicianseoutlet.com/detail.aspx?ID=60

The body is plywood, so tonal quality might be out of the question.
Last edited by Sonis3 at Aug 23, 2008,
Bump'd
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
okay, by the looks of it you could probably fit a couple humbuckers into that, but they'd be placed a little differently. you'd have to change the pickguard as well, by cutting it (router, or dremel, with the pg between some wood to prevent chipping)

it'll be more of a "closer to neck" position and "closer to bridge" position... if you put a switch in.

the tone could be cool, but seeing as it's probably plywood, you could try active pickups, to pull away from the plywoodiness of it all? put less of the tone in the wood's hands, if you know what i mean...

=)
------

Shwiggity.
Yeah, Actives are a little out of my price range ATM, would a YJM strat pickup sound ok?
Gear:
Squier Strat
Bugera V22
possibly, but i've never played one myself... if you can afford 2 new pickups, it'll probably be worth it, assuming the guitar plays well
------

Shwiggity.
yeah, i'd be all over that with a palm sander and like... 5 cans of paint hahah.

definitely going to repaint a pos guitar while in university. it'll be a fun project when studying doesn't strike the mood.
------

Shwiggity.
Hey, thanks for the input everyone! As I stated before, you can grab one here: http://musicianseoutlet.com/detail.aspx?ID=60

Anyway, divinorum69, could you possibly give me an example of what you mean with the paint job? Also, deftonesordie, My gearfund is like $10 ATM. What is the best sounding, cheapest active pickup?
Thanks for your input!
Gear:
Squier Strat
Bugera V22
The tone doesn't blend the pups. They are both always on.

I wish you'd just leave it all as-is. It looks awesome...
Last edited by Invader Jim at Aug 25, 2008,
Well, I wouldn't know. I'm a noob to guitar insides
Yeah, I might not paint it, but I need to do something about this...

What do you guys suggest? Wood putty?
Gear:
Squier Strat
Bugera V22
Last edited by Sonis3 at Aug 25, 2008,
I didn't get your PM for some reason.

W00t! 2 pages!
Gear:
Squier Strat
Bugera V22
I just realized that my friend has one of those, but his is black with white plastic parts. His cost about 90 bucks from some catalog.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Aug 25, 2008,
I got it for free. It was taking up room in my friends attic. You can get it for $65 here:
http://musicianseoutlet.com/detail.aspx?ID=60

Saw your gear, pretty sweet. I'd seen the Affinity Strats before, and the curcit bent DS-1, but the Harmony you have is pretty sweet.

Does anyone know if Guitar Fetish tuners are ok?
Gear:
Squier Strat
Bugera V22
Last edited by Sonis3 at Aug 25, 2008,
Looking into the cavity, its layered, but it doesn't sound half bad. My main concern is getting ok tuners for it.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Bugera V22
That guitar with the Harmony neck is probably a Global or Kay, actually. The neck is non-original.

Saw your sig, and I thought you'd get a kick out of all my no-name guitars.
Yeah, pretty sweet.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Bugera V22
Quote by Sonis3
Hey, thanks for the input everyone! As I stated before, you can grab one here: http://musicianseoutlet.com/detail.aspx?ID=60

Anyway, divinorum69, could you possibly give me an example of what you mean with the paint job? Also, deftonesordie, My gearfund is like $10 ATM. What is the best sounding, cheapest active pickup?
Thanks for your input!

What I mean, that personally I would paint it canary yellow, and i would paint some Radioactive Symbols, and i would draw the guy from My avatar, from the Fallout games for computer
Ok, then. I currently don't have the cash to repaint, I'm really in need of some decent tuners.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Bugera V22
How much did they cost? Could I get them off the internet?
Gear:
Squier Strat
Bugera V22
I'm surprised you can still buy a guitar that looks like that, I thought they died out in the 1960s.
Well, its not a vintage Harmony, its a crappy one from when they made "student guitars". The tunes won't hardly stay in tune, and the scratchplate is way scratched up. Those are my only real concerns, and the only things I'm really interested in fixing.
Divinorum69, yeah, I just realized your in Argentina, and I'm in the US, so I can understand how you don't know if I could get them here. Also, I checked out your Johnson LP, its pretty nice. I've got a Johnson P-Bass.
jimRH7, thanks for the link man, I'll have to look into that. However, I don't own a router, so is there any other way I could cut it?

Thanks for your input! :
Gear:
Squier Strat
Bugera V22
Quote by Sonis3
Here's a pic of the body:

Pic of the Headstock:

Pic of Pickguard:

I also notice there is no pickup selector, so I'm guessing that the tone knob blends the 2 pickups? I'm new to this, so I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Rediculous my bands bass player has the exact same guitar and thats not a joke. Custom it with "DUCT TAPE", Spray paint, or new pickguard matteral as previously stated. Or never mind all that and just cut the pickguard over the PUPS and leave it for the pots. Yeah like EVH so what it was free right.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
aye, You can use a coping saw - That's how I did mine. You could probably get away with an electric jigsaw or something aswell - but I'd check 1st with the manufacturer or something, It might even be written on the side of the box or in instruction manuals etc.
jimRH7, it didn't come with a box or anything. I got out of someones attic.

And I'm still waiting for someone to tell me if the Guitar Fetish tunes are decent...
Gear:
Squier Strat
Bugera V22
Page 1 of 3