I have a theory-related question, and as I don't have a teacher... I turn my questions to you, UG members!

Anyways, I'm in the beginning stages of learning theory, and have just began learning scales. Since practically every scale can be play in multiple positions of the fretboard, what makes it better to play, say, the G major scale as:

|------------------------------------------------------------2--3--5--
|-----------------------------------------------------3--5-------------
|-------------------------------------------2--4--5-------------------
|------------------------------2--4--5--------------------------------
|-----------------2--3--5---------------------------------------------
|---2--3--5-----------------------------------------------------------

Rather than:

|-----------------------------------------------------5--7--8----------
|-------------------------------------------5--7--8--------------------
|--------------------------------4--5--7-------------------------------
|---------------------4--5--7------------------------------------------
|--------------5--7-----------------------------------------------------
|---5--7--8------------------------------------------------------------

? This has been puzzling me within my study of scales, so any help would be great. Thanks.
It doesn't make it better to play it any specific way; usually, the positions matter more in a sight-reading context, where certain stretches and lines will be easier with a specific fingering pattern.
Absolutely nothing. Scales are simply collections of notes, and each of them can be played anywhere on the fretboard. The box shapes exist only to make them easier to learn.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Lazymusician33
I have a theory-related question, and as I don't have a teacher... I turn my questions to you, UG members!

Anyways, I'm in the beginning stages of learning theory, and have just began learning scales. Since practically every scale can be play in multiple positions of the fretboard, what makes it better to play, say, the G major scale as:

|------------------------------------------------------------2--3--5--
|-----------------------------------------------------3--5-------------
|-------------------------------------------2--4--5-------------------
|------------------------------2--4--5--------------------------------
|-----------------2--3--5---------------------------------------------
|---2--3--5-----------------------------------------------------------

Rather than:

|-----------------------------------------------------5--7--8----------
|-------------------------------------------5--7--8--------------------
|--------------------------------4--5--7-------------------------------
|---------------------4--5--7------------------------------------------
|--------------5--7-----------------------------------------------------
|---5--7--8------------------------------------------------------------

? This has been puzzling me within my study of scales, so any help would be great. Thanks.
Nothing. But you should learn both (and one more) if you aim to use them for improvising and sight reading. Its handy to able to shift between 2 or 3 shapes.
there's usually a timbral difference between notes of the same pitch played on different strings...

higher positions are easier to bend too

so, these two things are also factors to consider when choosing where to play notes
out of here
it depends on what the music says sometimes it will be more comfortable to play them in third position than the seventh etc on top of learning positions try learning how to construct scales and how to apply that on your instrument