I mainly play electric guitar, but ive also been wanting to learn fingerpicking kinda classical guitar. I really think its cool how they play the rhythm and melody at the same times omg. Anyway i might get a book on its but ive got an Alvarez acoustic. my first ever guitar. and i see people using classical guitars with i think its called nylon strings? so i was wondering if i could play that sort of stuff on a regular acoustic or if i could like string it with nylon strings and get the same affect.
The difference is nylons give you different sound, last longer, and look different. You could play it with a steelstring, it just won't sound as mellow (i think) as nylons.
ooo well a regualar acoustic would need a bridge change because they usually have those pins that keep the ball end down on regualar strings nylons dont have ends u tie em around the bridge of a classical guitar then tie em up at the headstock u would probably have to rig your acoustic with a classical bridge or jus get a classical lol idk bro
Empire Records one of the best films ever.
His name isnt Warren.
His name isnt Warren.
His name isnt Warren?
I thouht his name was Warren?

"slayer sabbath:
whats wrong with metal, has this website been taking over by power chording, girl pants wearing, emos?"
If you want to put nylon strings on a steel string acoustic it will soud like crap. The soundboard, back and side woods are a lot thicker on a steel string guitars. It will sound like dog ****.
well a regualar acoustic would need a bridge change because they usually have those pins that keep the ball end down on regualar strings nylons dont have ends u tie em around the bridge of a classical guitar

Just fyi, ball end nylon strings do exist.

Theoretically it can be done if you widen your nut slots but it will sound terrible. Dont even bother.
^ Yup.

Get another guitar, you can get a nylon strung one for pretty much nothing in the states
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
your best bet is to get a classical, you can get a decent sounding one at a local guitar shop for around 50 bucks...at least here where i live
you can just practice fingerpicking on your steelstring guitar. thats what i do, and sometimes i even prefer the sound i get from the steel string over the classical.
Quote by Tyrion
you can just practice fingerpicking on your steelstring guitar. thats what i do, and sometimes i even prefer the sound i get from the steel string over the classical.

especially if your a fan of Dee from Randy Rhodes its done on both in the recording i been doin classical so much i dont usually grab a pick at 1st ill play with my fingers on my electrics im so use to it i guess
Empire Records one of the best films ever.
His name isnt Warren.
His name isnt Warren.
His name isnt Warren?
I thouht his name was Warren?

"slayer sabbath:
whats wrong with metal, has this website been taking over by power chording, girl pants wearing, emos?"