Ok sorry if this should go in the recording thread but I think it fits here too.

I want to record myself playing, not like professionally wise just to see myself improving like once a week or something. My comp doesn't have a webcam thing I don't really care about that I just want sound.

My Roland 15X Cube has a Record Out line but what do I really need to go from amp to computer to record. What gear (See this is why I put it here). I don't need anything super professional but something that will give me a clean sound to go off of. And also post here so I can get some people to listen and critique me.

What all do I need to get?
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
BOSS DS-2 TURBO DISTORTION
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
NEW: Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
NEW: EHX: Small Clone Chorus Pedal
I use the Line 6 TonePort GX to record and use effects. The Line 6 equipment is wonderful. There are far more expensive tone ports by the company, with more effects and such, but the TonePort GX is about $50 everywhere I've seen it. It has presets for delay, chorus, reverb, etc. It's pretty useful
not to be lazy or address your specific question but check the 'audacity' thread at the bottom of this page.

you're in a cool place to ask no worries. Riffs and Recordings forum is another great source of info on this.

again, honestly wouldn't know if you can line out your Cube to a PC so i'll stop now.
The Line 6 TonePort GX doesn't do recording from my amp though? It goes straight from guitar - toneport- computer?? Does it record or just something to play along with??
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
It goes to the computer from the guitar yes, but there's all the effects you'll need in it, and you can use Audacity to record
Does it allow me to tweak those effects at all? Like setting the mid's or gains or anything like that. Or are they all preset?
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
yep

what you can do is use a splitter and run one to the other. The recording in that case will only be what the FX pedal gives it. Your amp becomes a monitor so you can hear yourself.

My Digitech RP for example allows me to gutiar> RP > line out to amp / and USB to PC. I realize that is not what you asked about. I seriously doubt you would damage anything if you tried to Line out of cube to PC directly. Is your Line out also a headphone jack.

maybe someone else can chime in and square this away.
Not to mention, even though it's generally expensive, a MIDI board can allow easy effects switching, and it's easy to set up
Yeah my Line out is a headphone jack. How would I go about going straight from amp to pc?
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
check RadioShack is one option. 1/8 male - 1/8 male and plug it into mic port on PC.

I doubt it will sound that good. And unless you are using some software to record with the Sound Recorder function on the PC itself isn't that great either. There are plenty out there like Sony and Guitar Rig and Amplitude. Audacity is free. Another consideration is the Sound Card you have in PC. If old PC or cheap sound card = more bad results.

Key to this is 44hz and 24 bit encoding. StealthPlugs and most FX pedals (and Midi controllers) do this for you.

Here is my response in Audacity thread tonight:
................(sorry for long post)............
as long as you can get the signal to your computer you can use it.

you can mike it (using amp and mixer/converter)
you can record with a camera and upload to PC then import
you can USB (I do this with my Digitech FX)
you can use a direct line cable (not the greatest) and go 1/4 to 1/8" adapter
you can use a special cable like StealthPlug or Lightsnake with built in sound card
you can use other options i can't think of right now

in other words, Audacity will work with lots of stuff but you have to feed it. You can't just fire it up and press record.

there are tons of FAQs on audacity too both there on dot com and google and such.
Ahh..okay man. For the moment I'm just gonna go straight from amp to pc with a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter. And invest in either the Digitech FX pedal or the Line 6 Toneport for it. Not sure which one. But for the moment I'm just gonna go straight to pc.

I'll lose quality but not a big deal at the moment.

Thanks for all the help both of you.
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
Quote by kOoL AiD2420
Ahh..okay man. For the moment I'm just gonna go straight from amp to pc with a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter. And invest in either the Digitech FX pedal or the Line 6 Toneport for it. Not sure which one. But for the moment I'm just gonna go straight to pc.

You can do that. But you can also buy a mic.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Quote by kOoL AiD2420

So the Line out is 1/4"? uumm..

like i said i doubt it would hurt anything. Now a Tube/Valve amp - diff story.

You can try going into your stock sound card at first but you will get latency and bad quality...

I say get a Toneport GX

It's not a great interface nor is GearBox but it is cheap and will work for your setup. The record output on these amps sounds better than running a mic IMO.
The Microcube states this at the back of the amp IIRC

For a sequencer look into Reaper or Audacity

BTW this still should be in the R&R form IMO
Last edited by moody07747 at Aug 23, 2008,