Sorry for the NEWBIE question, but I was looking up the tab for Lucid Dreams by Franz Ferdinand and I can't seem to figure out some chords. Here is the tab: http://ultimate-guitar.com/print.php?what=tab&id=718251

First, what is C#m/A? Next, what is C#m/A#?

I know it has something to do with like the root notes of one of the chords, but I forgot. And also I can't seem to find them on a Chord Finder site. Thanks so much for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The slash chords indicate that the lowest note played is not the root note. For example, in a C#m/A, the lowest note is A and not C#. From bottom to top, the notes of a C#m/A would be A, C#, E and G#. The C#m/A# is the same idea, so I'm sure you can figure that one out.
the slash isnt needed. basically, all it tells you is that that note is replacing the bass note of whatever chord it is, in this case C#m. in this case, you dont even need to play the chord when you play the A#, its just a bass note. play it seperately while switching to the F#.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by TK1
the slash isnt needed. basically, all it tells you is that that note is replacing the bass note of whatever chord it is, in this case C#m. in this case, you dont even need to play the chord when you play the A#, its just a bass note. play it seperately while switching to the F#.

The slash is needed, otherwise it'd just be a C#m without an A or A# root and would sound different.
Quote by TK1

it's needed it is notating an inversion of the chord
Quote by lbc_sublime
it's needed it is notating an inversion of the chord

Not necessarily an inversion, just a bass note that doesn't happen to be the root. A lot of the time, though, you're right; many slash chords are inversions.
So, would it look like this:

----------4-----------
----------4-----------
----------6-----------
----------6-----------
----------4-----------
----------5-----------
Almost, it would be (for C#m/A):

e-4-
B-5-
G-6-
D-6-
A-4-
E-5-

The chord you notated would be C#sus2/A.

Also, keep in mind that this is just one voicing; there are many ways to play these chords.
Last edited by :-D at Aug 23, 2008,
Quote by rockaholic97
Thanks! I wish everyone on Ultimate Guitar could be more like you!

No you don't, it would be a dark, dark place.

Glad to help, it's why I'm here.
Everyone posting above is right, in a way. its not entirely needed though, IMO. For instance, if you saw that chord in a jazz chart, the bass player would almost always catch that note, but in a rock setting, the bass player might stil catch it, but i would put it in, while in a jazz chart i would put it in the bass part, and not the guitar part.
Quote by KiErAn123
Everyone posting above is right, in a way. its not entirely needed though, IMO. For instance, if you saw that chord in a jazz chart, the bass player would almost always catch that note, but in a rock setting, the bass player might stil catch it, but i would put it in, while in a jazz chart i would put it in the bass part, and not the guitar part.

Agreed. Jazz comping + minimalism = excellence.