I'm new with EMGs and active pickups in general. I heard that they are powered by batteries; 9V?. If so, do you have to occassionally replace the battery/how long do they last?
they last for a really long time, something like 3,000 hours. just make sure you unplug your guitar when you're done playing.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
3,000 hours for one, 1,500 for a pair. I haven't replaced mine yet. I play 2-3 hours a day and I've had mine since June.
GEAR:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Schecter Gryphon w/ Tone Zone & PAF Pro
Peavey Valveking 112 w/Eminence Texas Heat
Line 6 Space Chorus
Marshall Echohead
Morley Power Wah Volume
BOSS MT-2
Vox Satchurator
You also may want to try the 18v mod if you getting EMG's. But yeah mikeyelite explained it enough, but I thought it was 1,000 hours not 3,000; either way, that's a lot of playing time.
Schecter C-1 Elite
Gretsch 5120
Fender Ultra-Chorus Amp
it should last on average about a year. i've had mine since '05 and only changed it twice. once because i didn't know to unplug it after each use, and the second time when i did the 18v mod to it.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
So when I'm done playing I should unplug my guitar even though the amp's off? And how do you replace the battery? On a Jackson Rhoads RR24 there's a slot for the batteries but I don't see that on other guitars. Thanks.
Quote by JoKi&&Guitar
So when I'm done playing I should unplug my guitar even though the amp's off? And how do you replace the battery? On a Jackson Rhoads RR24 there's a slot for the batteries but I don't see that on other guitars. Thanks.
Unplug the cable from the input on your guitar, not your amp.

You take the little cover off in the back and cavity in the back with the pots should have the battery in there somewhere.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
if there's no specific compartment for a battery, it goes where rwalby says.

fitting 2 in there is a bit of a pain though.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

how do you 18v mod it? and is it just for extra battery life or does it change tone?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
it's really easy. not sure about the battery life, but it makes a real noticeable change to the tone if you've been playing them for a while.

http://home.comcast.net/~mgollihur/emgmod.html
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

how does it change tone? more output, gain? i only read about clarity and headroom. if there's no gain, then i dunno if it's worth it
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by UnsignedRecords
it's really easy. not sure about the battery life, but it makes a real noticeable change to the tone if you've been playing them for a while.

http://home.comcast.net/~mgollihur/emgmod.html

On that site it says the 18v mod could be used for longer battery life or clearer sound. What does your mod do?
Dean Dave Mustaine Signature VMNT Flying V
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Line 6 Spider III 15 :/
Dunlop Dime Crybaby From Hell

Quote by acidrainman64
one time i walked into a sam ash store and asked for directions to guitar center
if you've been running emg's normally with 9v for a while, you may realize the tone is too tight and trebly in the high end. doing the mod really brings warmth and body to the pickups.

sorry, it doesn't increase gain. you wouldn't want to increase the output of your pickups too much if your amp can't give you the amount of gain you want. you should invest in an od pedal or some sort of boost if you want a less muddy alternative for more gain.

more gain isn't always better though. a lot of times it just makes you sound less clear and unfocused.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Also, does one battery power both pickups?
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Quote by acidrainman64
one time i walked into a sam ash store and asked for directions to guitar center
yes.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
if you've been running emg's normally with 9v for a while, you may realize the tone is too tight and trebly in the high end. doing the mod really brings warmth and body to the pickups.

sorry, it doesn't increase gain. you wouldn't want to increase the output of your pickups too much if your amp can't give you the amount of gain you want. you should invest in an od pedal or some sort of boost if you want a less muddy alternative for more gain.

more gain isn't always better though. a lot of times it just makes you sound less clear and unfocused.

depends on playing style.. so basically, doing the 18v mod turns it into a passive pickup? or passive sounding? isnt that killing the point of actives?
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
depends on playing style.. so basically, doing the 18v mod turns it into a passive pickup? or passive sounding? isnt that killing the point of actives?
No.. it makes EMGs sound less "sterile" as people call them and more dynamic.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by rwalby9
No.. it makes EMGs sound less "sterile" as people call them and more dynamic.

what's that supposed to mean. less like actives? people say passives are more sterile and more dynamic than actives... too bad i dont even know what that means.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
what's that supposed to mean. less like actives? people say passives are more sterile and more dynamic than actives... too bad i dont even know what that means.

just drop the 'active' and 'passive' labels for now.

running on 9v, emg's have been called 'lifeless' 'cold' 'sterile' etc. which are all bad things.

running on 18v, they seem to come to life, feel warmer, and have a softer touch on the bass frequencies.

if you don't know what any of that means, keep playing guitar and your ear will become more sensitive to your own tone and playing.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Is it possible to use the second battery for longer life?
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Quote by acidrainman64
yeah, you would just wire it in series. the 18volt mod has you wire it in parallel. but the battery life is really nothing to worry about. you have 3000 hours to change one.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
just drop the 'active' and 'passive' labels for now.

running on 9v, emg's have been called 'lifeless' 'cold' 'sterile' etc. which are all bad things.

running on 18v, they seem to come to life, feel warmer, and have a softer touch on the bass frequencies.

if you don't know what any of that means, keep playing guitar and your ear will become more sensitive to your own tone and playing.

hmm. so if i'm fine with the lifeless and nasty tone of an emg then i shouldnt mod it? how long does it take and is it hard? when i buy them, imma try it out.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
hmm. so if i'm fine with the lifeless and nasty tone of an emg then i shouldnt mod it? how long does it take and is it hard? when i buy them, imma try it out.

i actually suggest you don't do it right away, and get used to the stock tone. if you do it right away, you'll find yourself going " i don't see the difference."

it's really easy though, took me 5minutes. it's a lot easier if you have someone else hold things up for you.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
i actually suggest you don't do it right away, and get used to the stock tone. if you do it right away, you'll find yourself going " i don't see the difference."

it's really easy though, took me 5minutes. it's a lot easier if you have someone else hold things up for you.

lol there should be a switch... i opened up my cavity and i think theres enough room fro two batteries. ok when you change pickups, do you have to change all of the switches and knob pots and everything like that? it seems really laborious and complicated..
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
lol there should be a switch... i opened up my cavity and i think theres enough room fro two batteries. ok when you change pickups, do you have to change all of the switches and knob pots and everything like that? it seems really laborious and complicated..

ha. i've never replaced pickups, but from what little soldering experience i have here and there, i could probably do it.
you need to change out the volume and tone pots... and the switch. yeah.

it shouldn't be too hard, unless you have never done anything like it at all ever. then you should let a tech do it.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
ha. i've never replaced pickups, but from what little soldering experience i have here and there, i could probably do it.
you need to change out the volume and tone pots... and the switch. yeah.

it shouldn't be too hard, unless you have never done anything like it at all ever. then you should let a tech do it.

haha. i mean i've replaced my jack on the guitar. that's pretty much it. and i think i can read the diagrams pretty well. one problem is, if i mess up, will it cause extensive damage to my guitar? i dont want to pay 70 bucks for changing pickups. that's like enough for a pedal.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
haha. i mean i've replaced my jack on the guitar. that's pretty much it. and i think i can read the diagrams pretty well. one problem is, if i mess up, will it cause extensive damage to my guitar? i dont want to pay 70 bucks for changing pickups. that's like enough for a pedal.
It shouldn't. For active pickups you need a stereo input jack, and 25K ohm pots anyway, so the electronics that come stock in a normal passive pickup guitar don't work.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS