First of all, dont tell me get a new amp instead, im about to go buy a new amp in a few days, I need to know if these are good. I play mostly grunge, punk, classic rock, and rock in general, especially the first two.

Is this a good guitar for me? I wont be able to get it till christmas probably but Id still like to know. I cant go any further than 800 for my budget, I heard these were good, and Cobain played one.

Whats UGs opinion on these?

(Dont tell me it sucks because it doesnt play your genre btw)
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Oh, main reason I was looking at the Mustangs is I want a good single coil guitar. I dont want anything with a humbucker on it.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Well, with a mustang, you either really really like them, or you don't. the whole mustang/jaguar/jazzmaster little group has the trickiest trem system to get used to. but a lot of people enjoy the guitars, i know i personally want to get a mustang at some point.

another thing to take into account is the shorter scale length. it won't really feel like other fender guitars.

in the end, it's up to you.
The short scale is kind of what interested me in it as well, could I just block the trem. on the mustang if it annoyed me?
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by Mack56
it's probably possible. i know kurt would put tune-o-matic bridges on his mustangs.

Those are used on some gibsons right?
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
Those are used on some gibsons right?

most gibsons and epiphones, really.
ishibashi-music.com

get a jaguar

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Can I get a Jag with single coil?

I want a single coil guitar
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
Can I get a Jag with single coil?

I want a single coil guitar

Jaguars, mustangs, jazzmasters, strats, tele's, all single coil guitars.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
i say go for the mustang. great sounding guitars. i also play alot of classic rock, punk and grunge and it does the job nicely. Jaguars with single coils do exist, but the controls are confusing to get used to.

although, i would recommend changing the bridge on the mustang when/if you get one. i put a tune o matic on mine and its soo much better. another thing to get used to is the tuners. i personally hate them, but i guess its a matter of preference.

if you want something cheaper, Telecasters are also great single coil guitars for punk/grunge.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Try covering some Neil Young songs, I mean, he's obviously not a girl but he's got more than enough estrogen to sound like one.
How much would it cost to get a tune o matic bridge installed? Id rather get a pro to do it if I get one.

I did also consider the tele's so I might try one of those out as well. Anybody know of good ones between 500-1100?
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
its incredibly simple, you can do it your self. just adjust it to the right height, than insert.

as for teles, try one of these:

Standard Tele

American Standard Tele

Blackout Tele

im partial to the blackout tele. alot more versatile.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Try covering some Neil Young songs, I mean, he's obviously not a girl but he's got more than enough estrogen to sound like one.
Quote by HighPotency
Honestly i think the mustang is ugly as f***. Is the single coil thing an absolute must? Because aside from that, this looks like it suits your needs. Here.

I think he would be looking at single coils, mainly because he's looking at a Fender.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Classic-Player-Jaguar-Special-Electric-Guitar-104907472-i1397680.gc

$800 exactly. And the Classic Player Fenders are the best MIM ones.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
I think he would be looking at single coils, mainly because he's looking at a Fender.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Classic-Player-Jaguar-Special-Electric-Guitar-104907472-i1397680.gc

$800 exactly. And the Classic Player Fenders are the best MIM ones.

Well i was going to link to that one but it has a trem. Other than that, it's good. I think that one might be the way to go if you don't mind the trem.
There's a function on that trem to block it off, if he'd rather not use it. perfectly stable tailpiece that way.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by HighPotency
Honestly i think the mustang is ugly as f***. Is the single coil thing an absolute must? Because aside from that, this looks like it suits your needs. Here.

Those are ****ing horrible, sound like ****, play like ****. Don't buy one, it is NOT a true jaguar.

I dont want a Jaguar anyways, Im set on getting either a tele or a mustang. I'll take zekks advice and ignore that jaguar seeing he is a fan of bowie, he must have some knowledge of whats good and bad.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by BrokenFingers
its incredibly simple, you can do it your self. just adjust it to the right height, than insert.

as for teles, try one of these:

Standard Tele

American Standard Tele

Blackout Tele

im partial to the blackout tele. alot more versatile.

To the first one, the standards I hear are pretty bad
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
You know cobain didn't get a guitar that some other guy had or used, he used what he liked.

You aren't cobain, don't limit yourself.
Quote by nan0
You know cobain didn't get a guitar that some other guy had or used, he used what he liked.

You aren't cobain, don't limit yourself.

I know that, I just think they look nice and dont seem as complicated as the jaguars(wtf is with all those knobs and switches and such, looks like a control panel for a spaceship)
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Japanese is just the same or better, but alot less money. Thats why japanese fenders aren't imported directly into amerika anymore, they were outselling the amerikan mades.

I dig mine a lot, although the poorly placed switches and ****ty vibrato are lame. And keep in mind that they are a very thin/jangly sounding guitar so you are gonna be fighting the natural sound of the guitar to get a thick rock sound.

^And I don't know if things have changed over the past year or so but the 65 Mustang Reissue is made in Japan and sold here (US). I think that there are a few other random special edition Japanese Fenders that still make their way here as well.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
To the first one, the standards I hear are pretty bad

The Standards are the best guitars in the price range, really.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
The Standards are the best guitars in the price range, really.

Yes, Standards are very decent.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by stratdud39
mustangs arent TOO great.
you would be better of gettin a jaguar like this:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Classic-Jaguar-Special-HH-Electric-Guitar?sku=518749
and the pickups are coil tapped, so you can have both single coils and humbuckers

I've played that one a few times, both the single pickup and humbucker ones. Not impressed. Atall. The squier duo-sonic i was playing actually felt better, and the pickups on that humbucker one aren't great either.

Quote by MortifiedLizard
Yes, Standards are very decent.

I was just wondering because i know the standard strats are complete crap. (just to be clear, you are saying the 400+ dollar standard tele is decent?)

Sounds too good to be true, but I guess I'll try one of those. It will fit my punk, grunge, classic rock needs though correct?
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
I was just wondering because i know the standard strats are complete crap. (just to be clear, you are saying the 400+ dollar standard tele is decent?)

Sounds too good to be true, but I guess I'll try one of those. It will fit my punk, grunge, classic rock needs though correct?

Where'd you get that? Standard strats are pretty damn good for the cash you spit out for it.

Quote by zekk
Where'd you get that? Standard strats are pretty damn good for the cash you spit out for it.

A lot of people who own one tell me this and from reviews ive read. Mostly problems just come from the whammy bar and the pickups from what people tell me.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
A lot of people who own one tell me this and from reviews ive read. Mostly problems just come from the whammy bar and the pickups from what people tell me.

That's such a simple fix though. Not to many guitars come with fantastic stock pickups, and most tremolo's are dead in the water when you first get them. You can block the term, get locking tuners and/or a graphite nut (Which I recommend with any guitar), replace the pickups (which again, I recommend with most guitars under the 1000 dollar range, except those that actually come with name brand pickups)

http://www.kurtsequipment.com/

Kurt had 2 telecasters, a bunch of MIJ strats, les paul copies, a Gibson SG, univoxes, and Jags and mustangs, and he put humbuckers in almost every (electric) guitar he had. He also blocked the trem or put a TOM bridge on them. he didn't use single coils alot, he used full sized humbuckers or hot rails most of the time.
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Quote by skvvisgaar
http://www.kurtsequipment.com/

Kurt had 2 telecasters, a bunch of MIJ strats, les paul copies, a Gibson SG, univoxes, and Jags and mustangs, and he put humbuckers in almost every (electric) guitar he had. He also blocked the trem or put a TOM bridge on them. he didn't use single coils alot, he used full sized humbuckers or hot rails most of the time.

Im not really trying to imitate his sound or anything, but this might help.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by BrokenFingers
i say go for the mustang. great sounding guitars. i also play alot of classic rock, punk and grunge and it does the job nicely. Jaguars with single coils do exist, but the controls are confusing to get used to.

although, i would recommend changing the bridge on the mustang when/if you get one. i put a tune o matic on mine and its soo much better. another thing to get used to is the tuners. i personally hate them, but i guess its a matter of preference.

if you want something cheaper, Telecasters are also great single coil guitars for punk/grunge.

I agree about the tuners. One of the white plastic knobs just fell off and couldn't be re-glued because of the amount of dried glue already on it.
I replaced them all with new telecaster tuners. I've done a lot more mods since.

The tremelo is rubbish on the mustang but looks seriously cool. the trem arm is only held in place by a little allen lock and either falls out (too loose) or gets in the way (too tight).

I've also put a mini humbucker in. Maybe coil-tap at some time?

BTW anyone know of a good mustang modifying thread/group?