Page 1 of 2
Now, I know this sounds awkward, but my Rock band plans to play junior prom this year
obviously we are making some sacrifices for today's music (But all the less in stuff we are playing is Funky! oldschool funk, commodores, james brown, p-funk, ohio players!)

so thats been said and done... but we know we need some slow dancing songs...

What slow songs that don't suck could you reccomend for us? (keep in mind most of us do not have a knowledge of non-metal/hard rock bands which formed past the mid nineties)
FREEBIRD!

It had to be said.
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.
My opinion would be to (can't believe I'm saying this) find something top 40 that may be a slow song to cover. The people want to hear something they may know, also Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton hell of a slow song that still has a good feel for prom. I really don't know what else to say
haven't you seen back to the future?

Earth Angel!

idk who originally plays this song, but several tabs of it are up (along with the version from the movie)
I CUM BLOOD!!!!!

Sorry about that.
Still, nothing like waltzing to some good death metal.

Some Pink Floyd would be good though.
Hilarious, I Cum blood is actually one of the replies my bassist gave me prior to posting this.

I was thinking Dance the Night away by van halen than remembered it was 2008...

I actually am unsure why we're playing this prom (joke / lack of dates/ good exposure for noobs) becasue the town we live in is Poser CITY USA. Almost every kid here is a loser whiteboy with a fly car that daddy bought them that they blast Eminem in. and all the girls here are slutty annoying superficial bitches who think they are so special. But I believe in respect. Also we have a few metal tunes that I would love to bust up in thier faces at a prom ...

Thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming!
Quote by jake911
Play anything by Opeth.

Win.
'15 Fender Modern Player Tele
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Currently GASing for: Orange TH30C
Sleepwalkin by Modest Mouse

It's a cover of the classic, it should be pretty recognizable.
Quote by hotsnakes
Win.

No. As cool as Opeth is, no one wants to hear you play Opeth.

A few of these were good suggestions, especially Cryin. If I could think of anything I would say it. >.>
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
clapton wonderful tonight or tears in heaven?

why not learn true by spandau ballet? everyone knows it.
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Gary Moore - Still Got The Blues
Guns N' Roses - Either November Rain or Don't Cry - this is rock so I guess it suits your band
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here - not really a slow song but still.
Oasis - Maybe Wonderwall
here's a quite good song but it has a bit of an emo feel but it's good: Secondhand Serenade - Your Call
The Who - Behind Blue Eyes (original version)
one of the best would be the song "Over The Rainbow"
Coldplay - Talk

I hope that's enough, let me know if you think there are any good ideas there, I tried finding some songs that are good for a rock band
my band played for my school's prom last year. knockin on heaven's door is good. either version, but we played GN'R's. and Photograph by nickelback went over amazingly. it was a HUGE hit!
Good Riddance by Greenday is a classic prom song.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
Punk/metal version of the Vitamin C song...it'll go down a storm. Summer of 69 by Bryan Adams should work too, it's like lightning in a bottle for a pub band...and you could do a All Summer Long by Kid Rock seeing as it's just an easy version of Sweet Home Alabama.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Several of the bands listed I've never even heard of...
Knockin on heavens door? for slow-dancing?
... could work

i'm kind of thinking of a slowdance song that doesnt suck... one that my band would know

(we really don't like greenday nor does any one in the band know who the hell modest mouse or the format is... Yeah we got a rush/who/maiden/vallient thor drummer, a bassist who listens from Iron Butterfly to Megadeth, a lead guitarist who is the primordial 80s shred guru, and me who goes from about Django Reinhardt to Pantera.. I'm completely unaware of any of these obscure pop-punk songs, though I have heard a fair share of nickelback.)
Quote by Highwaytohell
Several of the bands listed I've never even heard of...
Knockin on heavens door? for slow-dancing?
... could work

i'm kind of thinking of a slowdance song that doesnt suck... one that my band would know

(we really don't like greenday nor does any one in the band know who the hell modest mouse or the format is... Yeah we got a rush/who/maiden/vallient thor drummer, a bassist who listens from Iron Butterfly to Megadeth, a lead guitarist who is the primordial 80s shred guru, and me who goes from about Django Reinhardt to Pantera.. I'm completely unaware of any of these obscure pop-punk songs, though I have heard a fair share of nickelback.)

Then im kinda curious, why are you playing a prom? O_O
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
Anything R.E.M.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by Ktool The Girth
Then im kinda curious, why are you playing a prom? O_O

exposure and chance to burn people who normally would not see us's faces off. Why else?

also it's part of my whole "Bring Rock Back" Mentality.

i've been to a few of these parties.... and they have, ****in rap on the radio...

What ever happened to when Live bands played parties?
Sorry to burst your bubble buddy but there aren't many 'rock' songs suitable for prom slow dancing. You're most likely going to have move outside your comfort zones and learn some songs that you wouldn't normally play. Deal with it. If you aren't prepared to do so then perhaps you shouldn't be taking prom gigs in the first place. The audience comes first, not you.
Quote by Zycho
Sorry to burst your bubble buddy but there aren't many 'rock' songs suitable for prom slow dancing. You're most likely going to have move outside your comfort zones and learn some songs that you wouldn't normally play. Deal with it. If you aren't prepared to do so then perhaps you shouldn't be taking prom gigs in the first place. The audience comes first, not you.

Thanks for all your help guys!

I do agree with your statement man.
There really are not many rock songs you can slow dance too. At all

Cryin sounds like a winner to me
That or Angel by hendrix...

Good stuff!
under the bridge by red hot chili peppers. Not really a slow song, though. Try Angel by The Jimi Hendrix Experience or what about a Beatles song like Hey Jude or Yesterday?

EDIT: Someone beat me to Angel...
"My name is Forrest, Forrest Gump. People call me Forrest Gump"
Quote by Sonicxlover
No. As cool as Opeth is, no one wants to hear you play Opeth.

A few of these were good suggestions, especially Cryin. If I could think of anything I would say it. >.>

If no on wants to hear Opeth they should dig a hole and die in it.

Want a song everyone can dance to? Angel of Death

Make sure your singer can pull off the first note.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Thanks for all your help guys!

I do agree with your statement man.
There really are not many rock songs you can slow dance too. At all

Cryin sounds like a winner to me
That or Angel by hendrix...

Good stuff!

Awesome. Sorry if i took a bit of an aggressive tone with that post it's just something that really gets under my skin, dealing with bands like that when it comes to gigs is such a pain.
Before the Dawn-Judas Priest
Behind Blue Eyes-The Who
Some Beatles?
You could always just play some random hip-hop bass line with hip-hoppy drums.

If I was at prom and the band busted out some slayer I would s*it myself... do that at the end of the show, it would be epic.
Last edited by darktrooper12 at Aug 24, 2008,
Quote by shadesofanger
If no on wants to hear Opeth they should dig a hole and die in it.

Want a song everyone can dance to? Angel of Death

Make sure your singer can pull off the first note.

:| As Zycho says, the audience comes first. You can't just be an asshole.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Never Say Goodbye- Bon Jovi

Good Riddance (Time of your life) Greenday
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
Dancing in the Moonlight - Thin Lizzy.

Plus you should play Orgasm Addict - The Buzzcocks.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Eric Clapton - Wonderful Tonight.
If its possible, Brian Adams - Everything I do, I do it for you.
Oasis - Stop crying your heart out.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
There are MANY foo fighters songs that would be suit this situation...also there's nothing else matters, or something from Guns and roses, Aerosmith , Pink floyd , the who...
Quote by Sonicxlover
:| As Zycho says, the audience comes first. You can't just be an asshole.

You sure??????????????????
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Estranged by guns n roses.

Any of their slow songs are good.

You could also try some old pop songs there are some nice slow songs there if you search for them.
Page 1 of 2