Page 1 of 2
So about a month ago, I picked up my SG. Ever since, the plug input area has been like constantly jiggling, which requires maintenance. after about the 6th time in the last month, I've decided to take it into Guitar Center tomorrow. What should I expect? A refund, store credit, return, trade in? any help is appreciated.
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster Electric Guitar Ash
Bugera 333XL 212
Dunlop Original Cry Baby >> Korg Pitchblack Tuner >> MXR Carbon Copy >> Boss DS-1
Quote by FireandFlames
the nut holding the jack to the jack plate probably fell off.

yeah it did, but the guys at guitar center tried tightening it like twice, and i've done it like 4 or 5 times myself, and it just keeps coming loose
Gear:
Bugera 333XL 212
Dunlop Original Cry Baby >> Korg Pitchblack Tuner >> MXR Carbon Copy >> Boss DS-1
the output jack is stripped try replacing the jack with a new one. this actually happened to me when i got my epiphone zakk wylde custom
ESP LTD F-414FM
ESP LTD F-415FM
ESP LTD B5-E
Ibanez SRX355
Ibanez SRA505
Ibanez BTB775PB
SWR 750X
SWR Megoliath 8x10 Cab
Quote by Pintara_jackson
the output jack is stripped try replacing the jack with a new one. this actually happened to me when i got my epiphone zakk wylde custom

how much is a new jack?
Gear:
Bugera 333XL 212
^ahh thats not bad at all.
it sucks tho cuz the guitar I bought was a floor model, so im about 99% sure its not my fault
Gear:
Bugera 333XL 212
it should cost you about 10 usd but some places they charge a higher price.
ESP LTD F-414FM
ESP LTD F-415FM
ESP LTD B5-E
Ibanez SRX355
Ibanez SRA505
Ibanez BTB775PB
SWR 750X
SWR Megoliath 8x10 Cab
Quote by trutrojan8
it sucks tho cuz the guitar I bought was a floor model, so im about 99% sure its not my fault

Dude, its just something that happens. It's happening slowly to my 1977 Les Paul Deluxe, and it happened to my 90's carvin. Its just one of those things.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Yep that makes the whole company sucks. Spend the $5 and get a new jack plate.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.

Dude. Every guitar does this.

Loctite ftw.
Well I wouldn't really trade it in for that. Epiphone does at times have so-so wiring but still. And yeah it's not like it's the first guitar this has happened to. You know my Strat had an old switch that needed replacement and my Gibson needs new pots. Doesn't make the guitar suck. It's just maintenance. Get used to it.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
You are bashing the whole guitar just because a jack falling out?
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by hminh87

No.

The whole company.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by FireandFlames
glue it down onto it?

+1

Makes things easier. And think about it this way; you get to learn how to maintain your guitar!
Quote by Mwoit
+1

Makes things easier. And think about it this way; you get to learn how to maintain your guitar!

Good idea unless you use super glue.
Wow so your jack was stripped. That is not a good enough reason to flame a 50+ year old company, and all the products they have allready made, and ever will make.
Epiphone doesn't suck.. And that isn't my opinion, its because around half the guitarists on this fourm and SWEAR by them. There may be something wrong with YOUR epi.

Back to topic, if you didn't do the damage and the output cable was jiggly to begin with, it was a manufacturing error. You should expect a full repair
Just buy a better jack at radio shack and put a drop of locktite on the threads end of problem.
Quote by al112987
Um... this happens on just about EVERY guitar.

Um... No?
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Um...yes. over time it does^^
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by hminh87

since it's been a month since it **** on me, yes.
i'd understand if it was 3 years later, but a month? ****
Gear:
Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by trutrojan8
since it's been a month since it **** on me, yes.
i'd understand if it was 3 years later, but a month? ****

Well, do you slide your cord in there, nice and smoothly?

Or do you just literally ram it in there as roughly as possible? Because that might loosen it up a little.

LOL, wow, I reread that.

But yeah, it actually happened to the little washer around my input jack on my Epi LP Standard once. So, you aren't the only one.

The company doesn't suck by the way.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Well, do you slide your cord in there, nice and smoothly?

Or do you just literally ram it in there as roughly as possible? Because that might loosen it up a little.

LOL, wow, I reread that.

yeah, wrong thread. sex thread is in the pit
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
'tis true, parts that endure physical contact with other parts can, do and eventually will wear out or become loose, need re-soldering and such. Jacks are the most likely in almost any guitar to do so because of the almost constant tension put on them by instrument cables. Unless you sling your cable up in your guitar strap like some do, myself included, it's being tugged on by the weight of the cable. Ever step on the cable or get it caught on something and yank on a guitar?

A guitar company doesn't suck because of a loose jack. Epiphones aren't known for having invincible hardware but I wouldn't say they suck. Some of the guitars they produce suck and others rock. Some of the hardware sucks. Same could be said of just about any guitar company by somebody. I had a 1980 Epi Les Paul Custom that couldn't stay in tune to save its life but I know it was just that guitar.
Last edited by carpepax at Aug 23, 2008,
Quote by trutrojan8

It doesn't take a lot to speculate what kind of use/abuse that specific guitar has gone through.

Take a few swab rubs from the neck and body ... I won't be surprised how much DNA from a bunch of people a lab can gather from it, and probably from different sources: blood, spit, phlegm, snot, semen, etc.

I hope you gave it a thorough cleaning.

Quote by carpepax
'tis true, parts that endure physical contact with other parts can, do and eventually will wear out or become loose, need re-soldering and such. Jacks are the most likely in almost any guitar to do so because of the almost constant tension put on them by instrument cables. Unless you sling your cable up in your guitar strap like some do, myself included, it's being tugged on by the weight of the cable. Ever step on the cable or get it caught on something and yank on a guitar?

lol, once, i did that while my fender cyclone was on its stand. i stepped on the cable, which was poking out of the front of the guitar, as i was walking away. it fell forwards off the stand and made a loud noise (my amp volume was on 10). i picked it up and put it back on the stand, and began to walk away. then i did it again... i must've looked like an idiot. i've been using an angled jack with that guitar ever since that incident
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Well done sir. Because of your 1 problem, an entire guitar company owned by a well respected brand sucks. They churn out millions of guitars a year, and yet all of them suck just because of your problem. Your logic is truly amazing
My metal is more br00t4lz than yours

Gear:
Squier Strat
ESP B-10 Bass
Peavey Backstage
Quote by Taylor704
Well done sir. Because of your 1 problem, an entire guitar company owned by a well respected brand sucks. They churn out millions of guitars a year, and yet all of them suck just because of your problem. Your logic is truly amazing

ctfd. i didnt think it was the jack that was the problem, which is why i made the thread
Gear:
Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by Branflakes
Epiphone doesn't suck.. And that isn't my opinion, its because around half the guitarists on this fourm and SWEAR by them. There may be something wrong with YOUR epi.

Well to be perfectly fair most people on this forum don't have any idea what they are talking about.

Epiphone definately doesn't suck. Most of their guitars are suprisingly decent. However you can still get a better guitar for the same price from other companies.
Ain't nothin wrong, ain't nothin right, and still I sit and lie awake all night...
Yes, the jack sucks, so indeed the enire company, an its afflilates must be an awful company hands down.

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by Wakisazhi
REPORTED for pure idiocy.

ha. ok bud.
not everyone knows how every single part in a guitar works
Gear:
Bugera 333XL 212
You knew the answer to the problem from the very start; it doesn't take a genius to figure out that if it's a floor model it's probably had some abuse over time. It's not Epiphone's fault you made a crummy decision.
Hahaha, you say Epiphone sucks just because of this? It's the same on my Epi LP. Epiphone makes good guitars, and small problems like this is to be expected on most guitars in that pricerange. If it was a high-end Gibson though...
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Page 1 of 2