So I'm starting to get into solos (well, thrash metal ones anyway) and I wanna get going on the Kill 'Em All solos. My questions are how long did it take you to get to play these solos clean and fast, and when learning them, what other things did you do to improve your playing besides using a metronome and playing through them slowly?

I know its key to play them slow at first then get fast, but I was wondering what other advice you could give me while learning these solos. I also know that there is no specific amount of time to master the solo because its different from everyone. I'd just like to hear your experience with these. All help is appreciated.
"Music is my religion." - Jimi Hendrix

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
ESP LTD Alexi-600
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Other Gear:
Carvin V3 amp head
Marshall MG15DFX
Digitech RP250 pedal
I learned them all fairly quickly, they are all fairly inside the box stereotypical solos, I learn Seek and Destroy, and No Remorse first.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

I can kinda play No Remorse, just gotta clean it up a bit. Is fairly quickly like, a couple hours?
"Music is my religion." - Jimi Hendrix

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
ESP LTD Alexi-600
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Other Gear:
Carvin V3 amp head
Marshall MG15DFX
Digitech RP250 pedal
Yeah that should be right, but for people starting out it's hard to grasp, you have to GOGOGO at it kind of thing, that's my theory, I keep playing it and playing it and playing it...... until it's engraved then you start to speed it up a bit. It gets easier every time.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

Learn easier solos first - don't try to run before you can walk.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Schmitty it takes a couple hours to learn solos from kill em all? It takes me a lot longer to learn solo than a few hours. By learn I mean performance ready at full speed.

TS you sound like you have all the right idea you knew all the responses I would have given you before i could say them so go practice. I wouldnt expect to learn a solo of kill em all in a couple hours that might make you hack through it. It takes as long as it takes dont worry with that worry about playing it perfectly clean and on time.
Last edited by /-\liceNChains at Aug 23, 2008,
When I've learned shredding solos what I would do is learn it slow first and then try to play it with the record even though I couldn't at that moment. I would alternate between the two and wow this would really help.
"How to Become a Better Musician" - is my online course at www.MyOnlineMusicLessons.com. Phrasing and Rhythmic Development, Improv Techniques, Jazz Theory, Ear Training and more. I'm also available for Skype/Hangout lessons.
Quote by guitarist792
So I'm starting to get into solos (well, thrash metal ones anyway) and I wanna get going on the Kill 'Em All solos. My questions are how long did it take you to get to play these solos clean and fast, and when learning them, what other things did you do to improve your playing besides using a metronome and playing through them slowly?

I know its key to play them slow at first then get fast, but I was wondering what other advice you could give me while learning these solos. I also know that there is no specific amount of time to master the solo because its different from everyone. I'd just like to hear your experience with these. All help is appreciated.

Who cares how long it takes ? Are you going to give up if you find out its more work than playing Guitar Hero?

advice:

listen - learn (by tabs, lessons, or whatever means are available to you).
practice
play

The journey is as important as the destination. If you're not into both, why bother?
shred is gaudy music
The first solo I learned from KEA was the 1st solo of Jump In The Fire, its fairly easy.

Have you got guitar pro? Its really useful when learning solos, play along to it slow then slowly increase the speed.
yeah guitar pro helps

my advice (im not a shredder cause i dont find it important or necessary maybe in the future)
is to take it slow and not to tense up there shouldnt be any tension in your body cause that will slow you down and lead to injury later