So I read the barre chord lesson here on UG

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/chords/barre_chords.html

and by what I read here, you don't need to memorize all 35 chords (from major, minor, seventh, seventh major and minor), Just those few patterns from different shaped barre chords with your other 3 fingers. Because I've been struggling so much trying to memorize just the basic major chords, like A being xx2220 (at least I think I got that right...)

So it is true about the barre chords and never having to memorize the open chords, since I thought higher the fret the higher it sound, such as a C chord barred down at the 8th fret (I can recall from studying) would sound higherpitched compared to the regular C as x30210 (I think <_<
Forever feels retarded in MT forum

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
Squier Bullet Stratocaster
-Shopping list-
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
1 guitar cable for that pedal
Yes, all the barre chords have a pattern. It's just where the fingers are placed on the fret that determines the minors and 7's and etc. But it's nice to know open chords because it can be a pain to always be playing barre chords.
Workin' hard or hardly workin'?

Barre chords have a different sound to open chords...eg. Open chords are better for AC/DC style rock or whatever because they have a really ballsy sound, whereas barre chords have different character. Hard to explain...you have to hear the difference.
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
Stop being lazy and looking for shortcuts, you still need to learn your open chords, barred chords is just a different way of playing things. You wouldn't say "I see that the first 12 frets on the low E string contain all the notes on the guitar so I don't need to use the other strings, do I?". Besides, you've only been playing 3 months, it takes time to learn stuff, it doesn't happen overnight.

And you don't need to memorise chords anyway, you need to learn how to construct them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

And you don't need to memorise chords anyway, you need to learn how to construct them.

Yep,construction of chords are very simple.
The hard part to them is just to remember the notes and place them on the fretboard itself , takes time but it's worth it compared to players whom feed off patterns.
well if you know barre chord patterns the less you need to no the open chords
however sometimes it might be easier to use an open chord or you need a slightly different sound to a barre chord.
So yes it can mean you don't need open chords but, it depends what you find easier and what sounds right to you.
all you have to do is learn some basic theory, and you dont have to really memorize any "form" you just figure it out as you need em
aw, steven made me sad, im a loser

and yes, I've read numerous chord construction lessons and articles, about the 1 3 5# for major and 1 3b 5 for minor and the 1 3 5 7 for seventh I think, I just don't understand the numbers and how they fit, I also studied the fretboard like the B and E are halfstep to C and F, I just can't figure out how to make chords from it, and DAMN just so confusing >_<
Forever feels retarded in MT forum

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
Squier Bullet Stratocaster
-Shopping list-
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
1 guitar cable for that pedal
Quote by XxDre09xX

and yes, I've read numerous chord construction lessons and articles, about the 1 3 5# for major and 1 3b 5 for minor and the 1 3 5 7 for seventh I think, I just don't understand the numbers and how they fit, I also studied the fretboard like the B and E are halfstep to C and F, I just can't figure out how to make chords from it, and DAMN just so confusing >_<

Well if you understand the intervalls between notes, then you can learn about scales. And you can build chords from those scales.
Major and minor chords are usually built of 3 different notes, which are the 1st, 3rd and 5th note of the same named major or minor scale. Different chords are built up from different notes within a scale, but there's really a pattern to everything and you'll learn eventually. The names are logic as well (like if you play a sus4 chord, you just have to play the 4th instead of 3rd note of the major scale).
Just give it time m8. Play some simple stuff, and learn the theory whilst playing. Don't rush into things
Quote by XxDre09xX

the numbers are easy.
for example u wanna construct a C chord , which is a 1 3 5.
hence the 1 = C 3 = E 5 = G