well to play power chords i usually just use my pointer finger and my ring finger... should i switch now and train my pinky to get up under the 3rd string or will i be alright using my ring finger?
That's how I started out and they both sound the same. I eventually used the pinkie so its all just a preference
Quote by esther_mouse
erm, i dont like avocadoes, either, they taste bad and make a mess when you accidentally hit one with a guitar...well, i would - imagine - they would, anyway...you know, because, theyre...squishy inside...and...stuff...
I guess it really depends. I personally use my ring finger. If you think using your pinkie would be more comfortable or beneficial in some way go for it but I dont think its something you really "need" to practice doing. Using your index and ring just seems to make more sense ecspecially when using the "Spider Fingering" technique popularized by Dave Mustaine.
I keep the wolf from the door, but he calls me on the phone, tells me all the ways that he's gonna mess me up, steal all my children if I don't pay the ransom, but I'll never see them again If I squeal to the cops.
For a 2-stringed one I always use my ringfinger, I use my pinky to make it a 3 fingered one/muting other strings/adding some extra notes.
Using your pinky works good for three fingered ones because you get the root, 5th and octave its nice.
I use my pinky on the lower frets so I don't have to stretch (I have small hands). When I start playing at the higher frets I usually use my ring finger.
I'm just learning power chords myself and I try to just use my ring finger and index finger.

If I use my index finger, ring finger AND pinky I can make it sound better more consistently but it's a lot harder to quickly move along the neck that way.
for power chords, i use my pointer and pinky a lot for both two and three string power chord. i rarely use my ring finger for it.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Almost all guitar tutors would tell you to get the pinky involved so i'd probably try and work it in.
Kit:

Tanglewood TW28STR
PRS Soapbar SE II
Epiphone LP100

Roland Cube 30x (New!)
Quote by Enclose
I'm just learning power chords myself and I try to just use my ring finger and index finger.

If I use my index finger, ring finger AND pinky I can make it sound better more consistently but it's a lot harder to quickly move along the neck that way.

thats exactly what my problem is i can move alot faster without using my pinky... guess ill just have to practice with it thanks for the quick answers guys