First a little background info...
When I first started playing guitar, I wanted a Squire really bad.
Now I'm thinking about getting an Epiphone SG because I really like how those things play...

I'm not sure, I'm going to Rebel Music in Oxford tomorrow to check out those 2 and maybe try a few different ones to decide if I'd prefer something else.
At this point I really don't know.
Any suggestions?
Quote by J.Bass.M

I don't care about the f***ing radius of the f***ing inlay.
What's the budget? What's the music you play?
Not a fan of Squire myself, so I personally would go for the SG.
Squiers usually suck, except for 80's Japanese ones, early 90's Mexican ones, and newer Affinity ones. get a G400 and not a G310 if you get an Epi, the pickups and build quality are better. Get a Yamaha strat or something, better value for money, with Squier and alot of epis you're paying for name more than guitar. If you HAVE to have a Squier (on which case you need to learn something about guitars) the Affinity series are the non-vintage only ones worth having as something other than a first guitar. they have a good body, so the crappy pickups can be replaced and it will sound alot better, unlike alot of other squiers, which will always sound horrible and have no sustain.
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
UltimateDud, I personally like Epiphone. gibson bought them out so they're not considered cheap remakes anymore..

LordPino: Not sure yet, my dad just said it's bout time I get a new axe so probably about 600-650 spending limit.
Quote by J.Bass.M

You're chosing between a cheap knockoff of the SG, which, while legendary, is not even that great a guitar when it's a Gibson, or a Fender Squire, which is the low-quality version of the stratocaster for 14-year-olds who get them in those packs you get for $200.

Get a real guitar. Try a new brand, like Parker Fly or Indie.
Every guitar doesn't have to be a Fender Strat or a Les Paul.
And I own both.
Lmao, I am 14.
By the way, I do know it doesn't have to be a fender or gibson/epiphone; hence why I said I'm going to check out other brands tomorrow at the store.
Quote by J.Bass.M

With 600-650 you could pick up a Gibson SG Special Faded, ar a big number of Fenders, why settle for second best?

Dave

EDIT: For some reason i thought you lived in England, my bad.
Last edited by DaveyBoy11122 at Aug 23, 2008,
I guess that's true, but like I said I do enjoy Epiphones. If they have both I'll compare and see which one I like best. :P
Thanks guys.
(Josh don't worry I'm going to look at other brands as well xD)
Quote by J.Bass.M

First of all, give us the style of music you'll play and budget.

Don't listen to most of these '08ers. They have no idea what they're talking about and are just throwing out random answers.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Budget is probably about 600-650 USD.
I play hard rock, kind of like ACDC or Aerosmith kinda stuff.
Quote by J.Bass.M

Quote by TheMeltdown

SG would be the way to go. Look at Epiphone's higher ones. Also... you can check out a PRS SE single cutaway and a Schecter C-1 Classic. If you like Fenders then look at some Jaguars or Strats with humbuckers.

Those that i mentioned are just AROUND that price range. And... i know some will say that you should just get a Gibson, but i personally think that you'd be better off with a higher-end Epiphone than a low-end Gibson (they're over-priced and not that good for the price).
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Agreed.
Thanks for the help mate, much appreciated
Quote by J.Bass.M

Or a HSS MIM Strat, that might be able to do it as well, and you'll have 2 single coils to play with.

So try both.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
if ur budget is 600-650, get a mim fender. dont waste ur time w/ squier. but id ge w/ the epiphone. deffinitely
Quote by Josh Shiells
You're chosing between a cheap knockoff of the SG, which, while legendary, is not even that great a guitar when it's a Gibson, or a Fender Squire, which is the low-quality version of the stratocaster for 14-year-olds who get them in those packs you get for $200.

Get a real guitar. Try a new brand, like Parker Fly or Indie.
Every guitar doesn't have to be a Fender Strat or a Les Paul.
And I own both.

epiphone isnt a knock off brand anymore, its just a tad under gibson quality, for thousands less.

and a parkerfly is waaaaay out of the question for this budget
At $600 - $650, you can easily get a great intermediate guitar to last you a long time.

I would recommend:

- Fender Lite Ash Strat. Great guitar, my friend owns one and the single coils really give a great bright twangy tone. Very versatile guitar and plays like a dream! (Alternatively, check out the Tele version). Made In Korea.

- ESP LTD EC-400. I've played this guitar several times in store and it's a damn fine guitar. The Seymour Duncans give a great sound and the build quality is very tidy and precise. The feel of the guitar is pretty nice and playing on it is a breeze. NOTE: EC-400 guitars that are not in Sunburst finish will come with EMG pickups which are geared more for metal. Choose wisely! Made In Korea.

- Godin LG HMB. While I'm not much of a rock player or jazz, the tones I got out of this guitar was immense! The build quality was top notch (Canadian built I think) and the tone was great. I didn't get on too much with the neck but that's down to personal preference.

- Agile 3100. Can't judge this guitar since I'm not in the US but I hear these Agile guitars are pretty damn good.
Quote by TheMeltdown
UltimateDud, I personally like Epiphone. gibson bought them out so they're not considered cheap remakes anymore..

LordPino: Not sure yet, my dad just said it's bout time I get a new axe so probably about 600-650 spending limit.

50 years ago. the whole cheap remake thing is recent in comparison to how long ago gibson bought them out, and they are still cheap remakes.
Quote by ihavenoname93
epiphone isnt a knock off brand anymore, its just a tad under gibson quality, for thousands less.

and a parkerfly is waaaaay out of the question for this budget

thats why they moved all production to china recently... ok. why is it that people seem to think being bought out by gibson was a recent thing? the knockoff thing is more recent than anything else anyone thinks they know about epiphone.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Aug 23, 2008,
Quote by TheMeltdown

AAAAND....This was the icing on the proverbial cake .

Defiantly go with the SG. With you're budget you can look at the higher end Epiphone's

Or a sh*t used Gibson

Go with the Epi
Strats are sooo much better than SG's

"Ein Herz von flimmernden Hirngespinsten,
Ohne Halt und ohne Boden.
Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,
Vater aller Türen: Öffne!"
Paysage d'Hiver - Ich schreite
Quote by Jonny92
Strats are sooo much better than SG's

He said "Squire"

They fail
At this level, go the SG
but between an American Strat and a USA SG i'd go the strat
im personally a les paul kinda guy, but i'd rather the strat

These Days
Epiphone>Squire
without exeption
how is a squire classed as a strat anyways?

it looks like one, that about it
Quote by Josh Shiells

Play a '61 Reissue......

Anyway, I'd save up a little more 'till I could afford and Epiphone G-400 SG or a Fender Mexican Strat, which are $400 and $500USD, respectively.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Sg
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by Branflakes
He said "Squire"

They fail

band. wagon.

Both guitars are too different - you should try them both - its the only way you'll know which is better for you.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
band. wagon.

Both guitars are too different - you should try them both - its the only way you'll know which is better for you.

Yeah, that's the plan.
I'm not buying one yet, it's gonna be about 2wks-1 month before we purchase anything.
We went to Rebel Music(the music store)today, it was pretty chill there.
They said they won't be getting any Epiphone SG's till a couple weeks.
I went up and tried a Squire, a Tele(omfg heavy sh*t, you could throw it and kill someone), a Highway 1 Strat, an Epiphone Explorer(wtf like 3x the tele weight), and a couple of Deans.
I really liked the look and feel of the Dean guitars.
And I also tried some kind of Gretsch(sp? I didn't like it too much.)

So I had a good time, got a pack of medium-gauge Dunlop orange picks.
So I don't know. On purchase day I'll retry all of them to see which I like most.
Thanks for all the opinions guys, 'preciate it.
Quote by J.Bass.M

I'm guessing that your buget equates to about £350 and there is no way in creation I'd sink that much money into a Squier. There's not that many Epiphone guitars I'd spend that much money on either, not because they're awful, simply because there are better options out there for the money. The only exception to that would be the Epiphone Prophecy Futura, which looks like incredible value. and even then I think these options would all be better:

Ibanez S-470
Jackson DK2
Jackson RR3

If you really have to get a 'Strat' then the Lite Ash is probably your best bet but if it was me it would be between the Jackson DK2 and the Ibanez S-470; probably the Ibanez but both of them are streets ahead of what you're suggesting.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
I really like my epiphone.
But listen to what these guys are saying.
Try out other brands.

(btw If you do go epiphone,get the Toni Iommi sig.It's sick )
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.