Hey people, what's up. Im new to U.G. In a few days I'm gonna be purchasing a Dean Dimebag Cemetery gates '08 Electric Guitar (If you know Metal, you know this guit.). However I don't really know anything about amplifiers. What I'm looking for is an amp for about $300 or less that has at least enough loudness and heavy, heavy distortion (Pantera, Megadeth, Killswitch, Slayer, Godsmack, Disturbed, and so on.) people keep telling me to get a marshall but im unsure. What would you guys recommend? Also what the heck is a tube guitar amp? Thanks a lot in advance[,
Chills.

[edit] Also, is a dist. pedal really all that necessary? I'm not gonna be doin any gigs any time soon. Just want to sound as good as possible. Thanks Again.
Last edited by chills420 at Aug 23, 2008,
Im in southern Ont. Canada, but im not afraid to order online from the states. doesn't really matter if its used or new buts its gotta have that heavy metal sound and dist.
MEGADETH, PANTERA, METALLICA, ANTHRAX, DISTURBED, KILLSWITCH ENGAGED, ALL THAT REMAINS
METAL!!!!! F**KIN' EH!
Tube amps use tubes with filaments to amplify tone, giving you much fuller and better sound. Solid state amps are digital amplifiers. They don't sound as good but there are some decent ones. Hybrid amps use a combination of tube and digital technology.

I recommend the Vox AD30VT. Modeling amp with good tone and effects. There is a new XL line for higher gain out now too.
Hmm...

I'm kinda shakey on this one. I'm wanting to recommend a good tube amp that would work well with what you want (peavey Windsor studio), but I don't know if that'll be overkill.

Peavey Vypyr or Cube woud work for what you want, and you can get a tube amp later, if you so choose, I guess.
go Randall man, Randall makes probably the best solid state amps around!
coming from a Marshall guy...
same amps i mentioned then i think. going to bed so take some more advice.

i think Craigslist is now extended to Canada no?

Vypyr seems to be pretty impressive so far....there is a Only Peavey Vypyr Thread on 2nd page. Check it.

Is this for home or gig use? Only 2 of the 6 or whatever Vypyrs are hybrids if that matters to you. The rest are solid state modelling only and are the only one's out and so far....again...

If home only - the Cubes get a ton of praise so check them too. I've not played any of them. Good night.
Ok... first of all, i don't recommend getting that guitar. You're mainly buying the name on the headstock. Instead, you could buy something of better quality at that price range.

Second, a tube amp is an amp that has tubes (also known as valves) to power the power amp (amplifiers have two sections: preamp which processes signal and power amp which drive the speakers). They have a very nice, natural vintage sound that is great for classic rock stuff.

Third, for that budget you should probably look at Crate amps. They have enough distortion for your type of music. It is a solid state amp however (instead of having tubes, it uses transistors). Like mentioned, Roland Cubes are great for metal (i've tried them). Roland does make some good amps as well. You don't need a Marshall to sound good, and i would bet my left testicle that a new 08 user was the one to recommend this since they only shout out whatever brand they know is popular.

AND finally... with an amp like that you won't need a distortion pedal since it comes with a footswitch (pedal used for switching between clean and distortion channels.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Aug 23, 2008,
Quote by HighPotency
Tube amps use tubes with filaments to amplify tone, giving you much fuller and better sound. Solid state amps are digital amplifiers. They don't sound as good but there are some decent ones. Hybrid amps use a combination of tube and digital technology.

Wrong. Thermionic valves don't use filaments, incandescent lightbulbs do. They use electrodes (ever heard of a cathode ray tube? Similar concept).

Solid state refers to the fact that it uses transistors for amplification. Transistor=/=digital (first one invented in 1925, way before any digital technology ever came into existance).

Hybrid amps use a signal path that consists of both transistors and vacuum tubes.

They don't amplify tone, they amplify signal.

Better is subjective.

Not all tube>all solid state.
Thanks for imput so far. I've been told to check out the peaveys and am. Vox doesn't seem to have the drive I'm looking for in heavy metal distortion. By the way the guitar is final and it's not just the brand name, these guitars sound phenomenal for heavy metal and honour one of the best guitarist to have ever shredded a guitar, RIP Dimebag... Btw, anyone who plays this slyle of music (pantera megadeth) what is your personal preference in amps? once again, looking for the best in distortion and volume output for around $300.
MEGADETH, PANTERA, METALLICA, ANTHRAX, DISTURBED, KILLSWITCH ENGAGED, ALL THAT REMAINS
METAL!!!!! F**KIN' EH!
Quote by chills420
Thanks for imput so far. I've been told to check out the peaveys and am. Vox doesn't seem to have the drive I'm looking for in heavy metal distortion. By the way the guitar is final and it's not just the brand name, these guitars sound phenomenal for heavy metal and honour one of the best guitarist to have ever shredded a guitar, RIP Dimebag... Btw, anyone who plays this slyle of music (pantera megadeth) what is your personal preference in amps?

I play a lot of Slayer/Crowbar/Eyehategod type stuff, and if I were you I'd get a Peavey Windsor for that sound, if that's the only sound you want.

However, if you play a lot of different stuff, or want to explore tone, get one of the modellers mentioned.
Quote by chills420
Thanks for imput so far. I've been told to check out the peaveys and am. Vox doesn't seem to have the drive I'm looking for in heavy metal distortion. By the way the guitar is final and it's not just the brand name, these guitars sound phenomenal for heavy metal and honour one of the best guitarist to have ever shredded a guitar, RIP Dimebag... Btw, anyone who plays this slyle of music (pantera megadeth) what is your personal preference in amps? once again, looking for the best in distortion and volume output for around $300.

If you're locked into getting that guitar i respect that. I would never, ever buy one though. I still think that for that price you could find better quality in other non-sig guitars.

If you're willing to go used and want a high gain tube amp, you can look out for some B-52 AT and Peavey combos.

Such quick responses, awesome. Thanks UG. So everyone is pretty much unanimous that tube amps are the way to go?
METAL!!!!! F**KIN' EH!
Quote by chills420
Such quick responses, awesome. Thanks UG. So everyone is pretty much unanimous that tube amps are the way to go?

Not necessarily. I think good solid states can do better metal by themselves than your average tube amp.

Quote by evening_crow
Not necessarily. I think good solid states can do better metal by themselves than your average tube amp.

Better tone is subjective.
Quote by imgooley
Better tone is subjective.

True, but i'm basing my opinion on the amps' gain level.

Quote by evening_crow
True, but i'm basing my opinion on the amps' gain level.

Gain=/=metal.

Most of these high gain heads have more gain than you'll ever need.
Quote by imgooley
Gain=/=metal.

Most of these high gain heads have more gain than you'll ever need.

What i was trying to say is that decent solid state amps usually provide more gain than the average (fender, vox, etc), regular tube amp since they don't achieve enough power amp saturation. Now of course there are tube amps that have enough gain for metal but that's because they're designed to be high-gain amps.

Also, who mentioned heads?

Basically, i'd rather play metal with a Roland Cube than with a Fender Twin Reverb.

Did that clear it up a bit?

Interesting. I gotta go to bed but thanks for all great input so far. I'll check back tomorrow. Nite,
Chills
METAL!!!!! F**KIN' EH!
Quote by evening_crow
What i was trying to say is that decent solid state amps usually provide more gain than the average (fender, vox, etc), regular tube amp since they don't achieve enough power amp saturation. Now of course there are tube amps that have enough gain for metal but that's because they're designed to be high-gain amps.

Also, who mentioned heads?

Basically, i'd rather play metal with a Roland Cube than with a Fender Twin Reverb.

Did that clear it up a bit?

Head or combo, it makes no difference.

And why would you compare a professional quality 85 watt non master volume clean machine designed for jazz and country to a solid state amp with a budget digital modelling preamp?

A Krank Rev Junior can get just as good, if not better, metal tone than a cube can.

Would you rather play through a Fender Meathead than a 5150?
Quote by imgooley
Head or combo, it makes no difference.

And why would you compare a professional quality 85 watt non master volume clean machine designed for jazz and country to a solid state amp with a budget digital modelling preamp?

A Krank Rev Junior can get just as good, if not better, metal tone than a cube can.

Would you rather play through a Fender Meathead than a 5150?

The problem is that you won't find them at a $300 mark which is what the TS needs.

Stop arguing about it if it's not gonna help the TS. All i'm saying is that AT THAT PRICE a solid state is more likely to be more fit for metal than a tube amp (that's if he can find any decent ones at that price range).

i give up... u just don't get it

Quote by evening_crow
The problem is that you won't find them at a $300 mark which is what the TS needs.

Stop arguing about it if it's not gonna help the TS. All i'm saying is that AT THAT PRICE a solid state is more likely to be more fit for metal than a tube amp (that's if he can find any decent ones at that price range).

i give up... u just don't get it

You are the one who doesn't get it.

The Peavey Windsor Studio is $329, new. It will give a very good Thrash and Nu Metal sound, which is what he asked for.

Also, I didn't say the Cube wasn't a good option.

Also, if you were going to talk solely about what was best for the thread starter, why compare the Cube to a 1200 dollar 85 watt non master volume tube amp?

Also, there are different kinds of metal. Take that into your calculations as well.

Don't make false or catchall statements, as they may be misleading. All I'm trying to do is prevent misconceptions based on ignorance.

EDIT: And he probably could find a used Rev Jr. head around his price point, and then all he would have to do is stretch a bit for a 1x12 cab (hell, a Blackheart or VJ cab would do).

I've seen the Revolution head list for 400 used.
Last edited by imgooley at Aug 23, 2008,
Quote by imgooley

You are the one who doesn't get it.

The Peavey Windsor Studio is $329, new. It will give a very good Thrash and Nu Metal sound, which is what he asked for.

Also, I didn't say the Cube wasn't a good option.

Also, if you were going to talk solely about what was best for the thread starter, why compare the Cube to a 1200 dollar 85 watt non master volume tube amp?

Also, there are different kinds of metal. Take that into your calculations as well.

Don't make false or catchall statements, as they may be misleading. All I'm trying to do is prevent misconceptions based on ignorance.

EDIT: And he probably could find a used Rev Jr. head around his price point, and then all he would have to do is stretch a bit for a 1x12 cab (hell, a Blackheart or VJ cab would do).

I've seen the Revolution head list for 400 used.

I think we both took it too far.

The Peavey sounds good and i had forgotten about it. I admit i stretched the comparison a bit far, but it kinda served my purpose regarding gain level

The Rev Jr would be great but that and the cab that he'll need will end up being double the amount that he can spend. Like i said before, he could look for some used tube combos like the B-52 AT (from what i hear it'll suit him perfectly), but for 300 it'll be hard to find many options on tube amps, particularly high-gain ones.

The best solid state metal amp ever made is the Ampeg VH-140C, that would nail pantera tones all day for fun.
Quote by JaGi
The best solid state metal amp ever made is the Ampeg VH-140C, that would nail pantera tones all day for fun.

+1.

Those things are win.
Quote by Jasdebi
wow no one actually made jokes reference to metal gear the game?!

Metal Gear?? It cant be!

Happy? Sorry TS, had to do it...

Don't steal, don't lift
Twenty years of schoolin'
And they put you on the day shift
If you get a Boss Metal Zone you can pretty much get any sound you want out of it. Pantera, Slayer, Killswitch etc.

It has a 3-band EQ on it so it's really useful when you have a limited budget but want widest variety in distortion/overdrive. It's around $100 bucks, depending on where you buy it.
Quote by chills420

The sound of a guitar is entirely dependent on the amp you plug it into - the Randall Century was far more influential in Dimebag's signature tone than the guitars he used. And those guitars don't really honour him, they just use his name to make money.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
well im selling my vox ad100vth for a roland cube 30x and i play metallica, and heavy metal so yeh pretty much roland cubes rock
Quote by JoE_s0n
If you get a Boss Metal Zone you can pretty much get any sound you want out of it. Pantera, Slayer, Killswitch etc.

It has a 3-band EQ on it so it's really useful when you have a limited budget but want widest variety in distortion/overdrive. It's around $100 bucks, depending on where you buy it.

Uhhh...uhh....you kidding,rite?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
to be fair, i want the TS to make the wrong decisions, because he sounds like a complete Douche.
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live