I created another topic a while ago about "Recording" and got some really helpful replies. Now I have some more questions about mics and etc.

What kind of microphone would I need to record vocals?
I assume that Shure SM58 would be great? How it compares to the SM57?
Or would it be better to buy some cheap condensator microphone?

As for the USB Interface to record...

This one guy ( on the another thread; he was really helpful ) recommended me to buy M-Audio Fast Track USB. How would it compare to Line 6 Toneport UX1?
Anything about tone? I watched a few videos about the Toneport but couldn't find any about the Fast Track USB.

And this one seller from my local guitar shop recommended me to buy Presonus AUDIOBOX USB becouse it has phantom power to suply power to condensator mics.

So let's get it straight, what kind of mic do i need ( good dynamic or cheap condensator ), and what usb interface would be the best for me.

And how about Fireware products ( something around the lines of M-Audio FireWire Solo ). How would THIS compare to the Line 6 Toneport or any other usb interface?

I guess this is it.
Thanks in advance!
Quote by stinger12345
It even says "High Quality" in the title, so you KNOW it's quality
Quote by RoamingConflict
I created another topic a while ago about "Recording" and got some really helpful replies. Now I have some more questions about mics and etc.

What kind of microphone would I need to record vocals?
I assume that Shure SM58 would be great? How it compares to the SM57?
Or would it be better to buy some cheap condensator microphone?

Dynamics are better for live settings and don't pick up a lot of "room noise". Condenser will pick up all of the noise around the house however they work better in some cases such as vocals and acoustic guitars. For higher volume vocals the dynamics are best so you dont distort.

As for the USB Interface to record...

This one guy ( on the another thread; he was really helpful ) recommended me to buy M-Audio Fast Track USB. How would it compare to Line 6 Toneport UX1?
Anything about tone? I watched a few videos about the Toneport but couldn't find any about the Fast Track USB.

And this one seller from my local guitar shop recommended me to buy Presonus AUDIOBOX USB because it has phantom power to suply power to condenser mics.

The UX1 and Fast Track USB are very similar starter interfaces. They are nothing great when it comes to quality but they do get the job done. If you run condensers get yourself the PreSonus as it has the phantom power. In fact, I suggest just going with the Audiobox or better yet, the Inspire 1394, (a firewire unit). PreSonus makes great gear but M-Audio has better vista drivers so be sure to pick one that works for you.

So let's get it straight, what kind of mic do i need ( good dynamic or cheap condenser ), and what usb interface would be the best for me.

It would be best to have one of each actually. Depending on your uses you may need one more than the other but I have found having one of each works out very well and is worth the extra price.

The only point when firewire is a better choice than USB is when you are working with more than 2 mono sources at one time. Any USB device will mix down to a stereo track since USB simply cant hold that much data at one time. The Firewire units can hold that data and so it is able to track a ton of inputs without mixing them down. This is very useful when tracking things like drums.
Thanks once again, now I have all the information that I need.
Quote by stinger12345
It even says "High Quality" in the title, so you KNOW it's quality
Different mics work better on different voices. If you go to a pro studio, you'll find that most of them will use a large diaphragm condensor like a U87 on lead vocals.

However... not all singers sound best through one of those, even though they are brilliant mics.

The lead vocals on Michael Jackson's Thriller album.... Shure SM7. (no... not 57) It's a dynamic mic used a lot for radio voiceovers and the like. For his voice, it sounds killer. Like him or not, it was a brilliant album in so many ways.

I had a singer at my studio who sounded strident on every mic I threw at her - my LD condensor (a decent one... Rode NT1), an AKG, a Sennheiser.... I even tried my kick drum mic. Still strident! Alas... as a last resort, because I hate them for vocals so much.... I tried an SM58. It was nothing short of magic on her voice. So nice.

You just never know....

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.