Page 1 of 7
I've seen a few of these threads floating around but I think there should be a single thread with information helping those decide if they want to try this mod, since its so easy and the change can be pretty drastic and is just as easily reversible. I would also like to have information on people's findings on the difference in their guitars after they did the mod.

Many of the information I've come across on this tell you to desolder the joint on the input jack - the truth is you don't need a soldering iron, you're just running two 9 volt batteries in a series! Here's a simple way to do it without a soldering iron.

What you really need:

9 Volt battery clip
9 Volt battery
Wire strippers
Electrical tape (or wire nuts)

What to do:

Make sure you have enough room in your cavity for two batteries!

1. Disconnect 9 volt battery
2. Cut the black wire that's circled
3. Strip both ends of the wire you just cut (and the ends of your new 9 volt battery clip if they aren't already)
4. Connect the black wire of your new clip to the black wire that's still attached to your input jack
5. Connect the red wire of your new clip to the black wire of your old clip
6. Insulate with electrical tape
7. Attach two new 9 volt batteries, put the cover back on and enjoy

For those who like pictures:

What I would also like to have is how to put a switch that selects between 9 and 18 volts. This would also be a good indicator in hearing what the differences are.

I'll post up real pics and my findings soon.

Wiring with switch:

This one will require soldering and a little experience:

(switch position in picture indicates 9 volt position)

Sound comparison:

From ShredNChunk:

9v - http://source.dk/~jbj/EMG9v.mp3
18v - http://source.dk/~jbj/EMG18v.mp3

Sound comparison from Gear Chat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmiVT_pUDh4
Last edited by decadence5423 at Sep 7, 2008,
STICKY! (or add to an existing tut thread?)

great idea, the idea's tossed around so much here on UG, now we have some proper reference.

High Five, TS!
------

Shwiggity.
awesome. and 110% necessary. it should also be noted that this mod could probably be used on blackouts too, not just the EMGs....im not sure bout that though so dont quote me!!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
I'm dont know what kind of battery clip the EMGs have, but if they have the more bendy type you can do this

excuse my horrid mspaint job

I came across wiring the mod with a switch to select between 9 and 18 volts. It looks good but I haven't tested it yet - I need to get a two way switch. I added the picture to the post.

The sound is pretty distinct at 18 volts. Its hard to explain but it seems to give more clarity and punch from the individual strings, you can hear it when you're hitting chords. It's similar to a dimebucker except awesome.
STICKY!!!! GJ. i might need this later. sticky it.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
STICKY!!!! GJ. i might need this later. sticky it.

Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure this power is reserved for mods.

I came across some comparison riffs between the 8 and 19 volt in the depths of UG. From ShredNChunk, also added to main post.
uh if you use the switching option, will one of the batteries die earlier or will they always drain equally?

also, over here http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-Two-Position-DPDT-Mini-Switch?sku=424666
this switch loosk like it has 6 of those things intead of three in your 2d picture. can you explain to me how that works?
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
uh if you use the switching option, will one of the batteries die earlier or will they always drain equally?

also, over here http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-Two-Position-DPDT-Mini-Switch?sku=424666
this switch loosk like it has 6 of those things intead of three in your 2d picture. can you explain to me how that works?

the extra battery will not drain when its running just on 9V mode

you need SPDT on-on switch, that DPDT you posted there would also work (you just forget about one half of it) but its overpriced as hell
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=38
Quote by apak

That's a double throw double pole (DTDP), you want a double throw single pole. The middle is always on, the sides are selected depending on what way the switch goes.

Edit: seljer beat me to it. I'll make a note of this in the main, and that the switches position in the picture indicates its using 9 volts.
Last edited by decadence5423 at Aug 23, 2008,
I did not hear AS much as a difference as everyone says when i did this a few months ago, but there is definitly a difference there. It opens up and expands the tone, makes it less compressed feeling. I say it's a must for anyone playing anything other than weird metal or grunge or something. 18v can show you a little more color and clarity to your signal.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Something I noticed after doing the mod is how much LESS prone to distortion my amp is.

The 18v mod increases the headroom of the pickups and in doing so, the signal is cleaner and less compressed. You'll have much greater articulation when using lots of gain and much better cleans, but IMHO, if you're relying on the pickups to push your preamp, you may want to install the switchable setup shown above (Great BTW ).
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
can you just pull out one battery if you want to 9v it again? that could take me like a minute.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
damn. so i have to unsolder everything again to 9v it.. i dont know where to put a switch. and i'm not comfortable drilling a hole in my control plate. oh well.

damn i had a dream that this thread died. got killed by mods or something
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
damn. so i have to unsolder everything again to 9v it.. i dont know where to put a switch. and i'm not comfortable drilling a hole in my control plate. oh well.

damn i had a dream that this thread died. got killed by mods or something

like mentioned above, you can short the extra battery clip

put a little piece of aluminium foil over the two and fast another battery clip over it (or a load of electric tape)

or take a third battery clip and connect 2 terminals to each other

or rip apart an old 9v battery and take out the connector there and solder the terminals together
So here's a question...

If I have a 2 humbucker guitar with a 3-way switch (Which I do), is there any way to use a 5-way superswitch to select certain pickups @ either 9 or 18V? For example:

1. Bridge Humbucker 9V
2. Bridge Humbucker 18V
3. Bridge & Neck Humbuckers 18V
4. Neck Humbucker 18V
5. Neck Humbucker 9V
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by jm1681
So here's a question...

If I have a 2 humbucker guitar with a 3-way switch (Which I do), is there any way to use a 5-way superswitch to select certain pickups @ either 9 or 18V? For example:

1. Bridge Humbucker 9V
2. Bridge Humbucker 18V
3. Bridge & Neck Humbuckers 18V
4. Neck Humbucker 18V
5. Neck Humbucker 9V

sounds no good. just do the 2 way on off switch. that's easier and more efficient. and you get to killswitch id you want to.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Suppose I could use a push/pull pot, I'd rather not add holes to my new baby.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by jm1681
Suppose I could use a push/pull pot, I'd rather not add holes to my new baby.

what guitar do you have? you might be able to just do it on the pickguard or something. or if you can,, push pull on a tone pot or soemthing
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I think what I'm going to do is use a spdt slide switch and cut a hole in the electronics cover for it, and seems like it would be a good solution for anyone else.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062492&cp=&sr=1&origkw=spdt+slide+switch&kw=spdt+slide+switch&parentPage=search

It's a pack of two, but oh well

It's small, shouldn't be accidentally be hit, and worst case scenario is we messed up a replaceable piece of plastic.
Quote by apak
what guitar do you have? you might be able to just do it on the pickguard or something. or if you can,, push pull on a tone pot or soemthing
ESP JD-600...

我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by jm1681
ESP JD-600...

I've done this mod to my Jackson with a single volume.. like I posted above I might put that slide switch into the back plastic. I just need to figure out the best way to route a hole for it into the plastic. I can't do it for two weeks though until I'm moved back into school. This could be a good solution for you as well.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Potentiometers_and_push-pull_pots/3/Potentiometers_and_Push-Pull_Pots.html

Need the 25k

The push pull pot is a good idea if you have enough room for that the two batteries. I might opt for this after I take a look and see if I have the room.
Quote by decadence5423
...The push pull pot is a good idea if you have enough room for that the two batteries...
Probably the way I'm going to go if the 5-way idea is impossible.

Personally, I don't really like push/pulls because I tend to forget about them. If however the 18V option is a part of pickup selection, there is no way I'm going to forget its available.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by jm1681
Probably the way I'm going to go if the 5-way idea is impossible.

Personally, I don't really like push/pulls because I tend to forget about them. If however the 18V option is a part of pickup selection, there is no way I'm going to forget its available.

The 5-way switch does sound impossible, or at least I can't think of anything off the top of my head due to how the grounding works when switching between 9 and 18 volts.

Ideally you would want a switch for switching 9 to 18 volts, and then another switch for your pickups.
Last edited by decadence5423 at Aug 25, 2008,
I figure one of those 5-way super switches has 4 completely independent switch paths. 1 set of lugs for pickup switching, another for voltage switching.

Seems like it wouldn't be too complex but I'm not experienced enough with electronics/switches to know whether or not I'm right about it.

EDIT: Here's what I'm thinking...

0 – To volume
1 – Bridge pickup
2 – Bridge pickup
3 – Bridge pickup

0 – To volume
3 – Neck pickup
4 – Neck pickup
5 – Neck pickup

0 – From 1st 9V negative
1 – To ground
2 – To 2nd 9V positive
3 – To 2nd 9V positive
4 – To 2nd 9V positive
5 – To ground

Negative from 2nd 9V to ground

1 – Bridge pickup 9V
2 – Bridge pickup 18V
3 – Bridge and neck pickups 18V
4 – Neck pickup 18V
5 – Neck pickup 9V

Yes, no?
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Last edited by jm1681 at Aug 25, 2008,
Now that I'm looking at it again it seems correct, anyone have any insight?
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by jm1681
Now that I'm looking at it again it seems correct, anyone have any insight?

It might be possible. It would be a nightmare to actually implement and solder on the superswitch. If you're going to give a go, good luck and let us know how it goes.
Word.

I'm going to talk it over with a friend of mine who does all manner of guitar repair and wiring. I'll see what he says and if he thinks it'll work we'll go for it.

I'll post pics of the cavity when and if it gets done. I am very intrigued by the possibility and that usually means it'll take a week or so for it to get done...
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by decadence5423
I've seen a few of these threads floating around but I think there should be a single thread with information helping those decide if they want to try this mod, since its so easy and the change can be pretty drastic and is just as easily reversible. I would also like to have information on people's findings on the difference in their guitars after they did the mod.

Many of the information I've come across on this tell you to desolder the joint on the input jack - the truth is you don't need a soldering iron, you're just running two 9 volt batteries in a series! Here's a simple way to do it without a soldering iron.

What you really need:

9 Volt battery clip
9 Volt battery
Wire strippers
Electrical tape (or wire nuts)

What to do:

Make sure you have enough room in your cavity for two batteries!

The black wire circled is what connects to your input jack and is the drain

1. Disconnect 9 volt battery
2. Cut the black wire that's circled
3. Strip both ends of the wire you just cut (and the ends of your new 9 volt battery clip if they aren't already)
4. Connect the black wire of your new clip to the black wire that's still attached to your input jack
5. Connect the red wire of your new clip to the black wire of your old clip
6. Insulate with electrical tape
7. Attach two new 9 volt batteries, put the cover back on and enjoy

For those who like pictures:

What I would also like to have is how to put a switch that selects between 9 and 18 volts. This would also be a good indicator in hearing what the differences are.

I'll post up real pics and my findings soon.

Wiring with switch:

This one will require soldering and a little experience:

(switch position in picture indicates 9 volt position)

Sound comparison:

From ShredNChunk:

9v - http://source.dk/~jbj/EMG9v.mp3
18v - http://source.dk/~jbj/EMG18v.mp3

so the position the switch is in right now is on 9v operation? cant really tell. =/

EDIT:never mind, didnt read it.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by jm1681
Something I noticed after doing the mod is how much LESS prone to distortion my amp is.

The 18v mod increases the headroom of the pickups and in doing so, the signal is cleaner and less compressed. You'll have much greater articulation when using lots of gain and much better cleans, but IMHO, if you're relying on the pickups to push your preamp, you may want to install the switchable setup shown above (Great BTW ).

I just finished doing this mod on my Explorer and I agree with jm1681. It does increase the headroom and has greater articulation than it did before. I like it better this way.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
I just finished doing this mod on my Explorer and I agree with jm1681. It does increase the headroom and has greater articulation than it did before. I like it better this way.

oh wow. you just did it? lmao? you're gonna leave it that way? does the amount of gain change?
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Wow just did it. Way more clear and defined. No loss in gain and no real increase either. Pretty awesome
ESP Eclipse-II VTB (With 18v Mod)
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
i'm thinking about doing it but not sure, this gutiar will be playing melodic metal like killswitch engage, atreyu,in flames. which would be better for me?

oh and..
apak. i love you, becuase your the first person to sig me.

Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
just got my build back, with 18V mod finished. before the grounding problem arose, this thing sounded HUGE, even through a mediocre 65W 112!

i'd reccommend it to anyone, once again!
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by metalwarrior40
i'm thinking about doing it but not sure, this gutiar will be playing melodic metal like killswitch engage, atreyu,in flames. which would be better for me?

oh and..
apak. i love you, becuase your the first person to sig me.

Yes do it. It sounds fantastic!
ESP Eclipse-II VTB (With 18v Mod)
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
Quote by tomypg
Yes do it. It sounds fantastic!

sounds good to me then. thanks

cheers
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
I did the 18volt mod on the EMG's in my Jeff Loomis signature today!

It sounds awesome! Alot more deffinition on each tone, alot of clear buttom and the best high end I've ever heard!

All I did was to connect the two batteries in series (the easiest solution)! I mounted the extra battery in a little black plastic holder I found amongst all my electronic spare parts!
Everything works fine

I highly recommend this mod to everyone who want the most tone out of their EMG's

btw, this thread inspired me to do this mod! To begin with I hadn't got the nerve to start cutting the wires in my Loomis, but after hearing the outcome I'd say it was worth the effort!

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3