Hey everybody,
I wasn't sure where to post this thread, but I figured the 'Guitar & Bass Basics' would be a good spot. I've been playing guitars off and on for a while now, I don't really know how long though. When I was a little younger (14-15) it was something I did about every two months just when I got really bored, and I didn't try learning anything. Now, around August of 06' I started working on some things whenever I had the chance, and year later I met some people to jam with so it made me push myself a little harder to learn some stuff. Around Febuary of this year I stopped playing for a little while, because I was working more then I would have liked to at that time. I didn't really have any time to fit in guitar, so I didn't get the chance to start playing regularly til around May. When I picked up guitar it felt a little different, but I got use to it very quickly and started going over some stuff I knew, just to be sure I didn't forget anything.

I find my main problem to be is, it's hard to sit down and practice for hours. Not because I'm not dedicated to the instrument, but because I don't like learning other peoples material to much, so whenever I play all the time goes towards learning some scales and working on my own stuff. I'd like to be able to play some other bands materials, because I feel there are parts in songs that would really help me out, but I can't willingly sit down and go through a whole song. Not because I wont be able to play certain parts, but because I can't find interest in it. About a month ago I decided I was going to start taking guitar lessons, this way I'll always have something new to work on all the time. I got myself a really cool teacher who knows alot of bands that wanted me to play for them and everything, and he only teachers me things that we both agree on that I'll need to know. Now my problem is, I go through the stuff he gives me in about 20 minutes and then I'm done with it. I just don't find some of the things he gives me to be difficult enough for me. When I started lessons he asked me what I would want to go over, and I told him that I'm a descent rythem player, but I know nothing about lead. Therefor, we've been going over alot of stuff that should be showing progress with my lead work. I just don't understand if him giving me easy things are mandatory.

Now, here are my questions.
(1.) Should I be pushing myself to learn other bands songs?
I see alot of people learning covers and people telling them it's great to learn certain things, but it's just boring for me to do so.

(2.) Do I say something to my guitar teacher?
I'm not sure if he's just starting me off slow, or if he thinks I'm having trouble with the stuff he gives me. I run through everything he gives me as soon as I get home and don't really pick it up again til I have practice the next week and he makes me go through it. I mean, some of the stuff he gives me is hard, like his long sweep excersizes, but most of it just isn't a challenge.

I just want things to keep my busy. I feel as though I can't progress any furthur, but I know I'm cabable of it. I've always loved the instrument, and I don't plan on stopping. I just want to become an overall better guitarist, and I find myself kind of stuck with this situation. If you guys know anything I could do, or maybe some different things I could learn, it'd be greatly appreciated.

(Also, alot of people hear me and I get asked to be in alot of bands. There are some bands that I would have loved to be in, but I feel as though my playing should be at the point to were I'm happy with it before I join up with anybody. Is this right, or do you think maybe playing with people would possibly help me improve even more? I've played with drummers and guitarist and all, just never gigged.)

-Mike.
Quote by caraluzzo
(Also, alot of people hear me and I get asked to be in alot of bands. There are some bands that I would have loved to be in, but I feel as though my playing should be at the point to were I'm happy with it before I join up with anybody. Is this right, or do you think maybe playing with people would possibly help me improve even more? I've played with drummers and guitarist and all, just never gigged.)

You can only learn by doing, and being in a band is one of the best ways to improve your skills.
^
Is this only with people who are better then you though? If I joined up with people around my level, would it only make more improvement, or would it accually show progress.
i enjoy playing in a band more than i do solo
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
Quote by caraluzzo
^
Is this only with people who are better then you though? If I joined up with people around my level, would it only make more improvement, or would it accually show progress.

You would improve each other, by pooling your knowledge and experience, eg. by jamming.
Buy some books, videos, learn a new style of music, get a loop sampler. If your instructor's not giving you enough to do, TELL HIM. No one wants a bored student.
That rug really tied the room together.
If you're paying for the lessons you should get value for money. Make sure you get twice as much off him to practice next time and if thats not enough double that for the next lesson.

Are the things you're getting to learn intended to develop certain skills? If you already have those skills and the teacher can be shown that then he should raise the difficulty level.

Is he expecting you to practice the lessons he gave you all together (i.e. if you had four lessons and he gave you something to practice from each one does he expect you to be practicing all 4 every day or is it a case of "finished that bit now the next bit"?)

It's good to practice the basics (and concentrate on the technique) but if you're getting bored you won't get much out of practising.
My teacher gives me what I asked for from the first lesson. I told him that my lead work needed alot of improving and told him what I felt I need. We then jammed together for a while until he decided where a nice place to start off would be. I told him today, I had lessons today, that I wanted something a bit more difficult to work on, this way I don't just go home and do it all in 20 minutes or so. He gave me things to work on, and as ussual, told me to finish everything I could until next weeks practice.

As far as the band thing goes, I'm waiting to hear back from one of my friends. He's in need for a second guitarist and he asked me if I would be interested. I told him that I would do it until they found somebody to fill the part. I'm not doing it full time as of right now because I'm not willing to play the same music as them. (They sound like Dying Fetus, Cannibal Corpse ect.) Hopefully I'll get all of that figured out soon. For now I'm just going to keep practicing as much as possible and get some stuff together. I feel that ever since I've been getting my lessons, I've been learning things pretty quickly.

Hopefully the stuff I have now keeps my busy.

Thank you everyone.