Okay I have been playing guitar for 3 maybe four years. I learnt off a guy who taught himself (wrongly in some places as I've now found out) for about a year. Since then I have had about 8-12 lessons from proper teachers but my funds are a little low at the moment, so guitar lessons are a big fat NO.

I can play rhythm and do the chord changes just fine but when it comes to solos, anything moderately paced or above I just suck to be frank lol. One I'm trying to do now for example, Bon Jovi Have a Nice Day. I have the rhythm bit almost nailed but the solo wow. I'm using this tab : http://tabs.guitarworld.com/tabs/show/2629/have-a-nice-day and watching a guy who does an awesome cover of it on youtube. I've seen how he plays it, similar to if not exactly the same as the above tab.

What sort of stuff can I do to play this at the right speeds? I know start off slow, but as has happened with some other solos, that alone doesn't help me at all

I found an online metronome that's free but I'm seriously at a loss with this. I don't wanna sound up myself but when I started playing, my teacher said you can't play rock without a band, (he was mainly into very old stuff that was mainly acoustic, not my sort of thing to play) Anyway, at that time it was annoying me like anything because I knew I WANTED to play rock and I knew if I put my head and heart into it I COULD play rock, I just didn't have a clue where to begin. It's the same for this, I KNOW I can do better but I don't know HOW to do better.

*screams in a moment of madness*

Lol

Yeah so any help would be great, I might even give you a cookie

Thanks
Quote by Ferinos

What sort of stuff can I do to play this at the right speeds? I know start off slow, but as has happened with some other solos, that alone doesn't help me at all

my teacher said you can't play rock without a band

1) that's just what you have to do. take it slow, and get it down perfect, then try taking it uptempo. when playing it faster, take note of where you stumble, and which parts are sloppy, then take those back down at a slower speed and work them up. however, this won't happen in the span of a day or two. it's going to take time, and a bit of work, to get it to sound like it should. so keep at it, and don't give up.

2) he's full of crap
you just need to take it slow, work on your picking and build up speed.

i know it's the same old advice but it's given out time and again for a reason, you just have to devote the time to practice just like you did for your rhythm playing.

good luck.

this bit of tab helped my picking alot
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/misc/speed_exercise_tab.htm
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon