Ladies and gentlemen, do any of you actually work at that place, or at any other guitar store for that matter? I really want to work there, even if its just for commission, it doesn't matter much to me, I get to talk about gear and be around gear and musicians all day. If you work there, share your experiences and how it's worked out so far.
It's a known fact that you have to be an asshole to work there.

Nah, I'm just kidding, most of them are actually nice. Go for it, I say.
Quote by guitardude34875
I hear you have to be 18 to work there, if you are, do it, and tell the pit about your first day!!!

Yeah I'm gonna apply on my Birthday in January when I turn 18.
there are a select few GC workers that i dont hate..but if ya wanna learn to troll people outta the store then go for it
Quote by guitardude34875
I hear you have to be 18 to work there, if you are, do it, and tell the pit about your first day!!!

*Eric666 starts thread after first day of work at GC titled 'UG, cheer me up.'*
As someone who's worked in a guitar store for more than 2 years, I can safely tell you that it's not all fun and games talking about guitars. It's a retail store, first and foremost, and you should think about what kind of problems come with that.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by metaldud536
*Eric666 starts thread after first day of work at GC titled 'UG, cheer me up.'*

Nah, I dont think it will be like that lol.

EDIT: Xiaoxi, really? do tell.
Quote by Eric 666
EDIT: Xiaoxi, really? do tell.

Well...I mean just think about it.

It's not a guitar fairyland where you can play guitar all day and "rawk out" with other people. In fact, that does not look good when you're on the job...

It's a retail business. Money is the goal here, not music. Dealing with annoying customers, checking up on inventory, product arrangements, etc.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
i want to, as well, seeing as how whenever I'm at Guitar Center people always ask me for recommendations, thinking I work there. I almost had a guy convinced to buy a blues junior, and then the employee was like "WHAT? no! you want this fender frontman, gots loads more features!"

Quote by JMTrio134
i want to, as well, seeing as how whenever I'm at Guitar Center people always ask me for recommendations, thinking I work there. I almost had a guy convinced to buy a blues junior, and then the employee was like "WHAT? no! you want this fender frontman, gots loads more features!"

That's probably because they need to meet Fender's product line sell quota.

Again, business, not music.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
As someone who's worked in a guitar store for more than 2 years, I can safely tell you that it's not all fun and games talking about guitars. It's a retail store, first and foremost, and you should think about what kind of problems come with that.

I would take this over almost any kind of job with the same amount of pay.

Add guitars to that and I'm sold.
Quote by JMTrio134
I would take this over almost any kind of job with the same amount of pay.

Add guitars to that and I'm sold.

Given the chance, you should take the job at an ice cream shop over a gaytar center.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Well...I mean just think about it.

It's not a guitar fairyland where you can play guitar all day and "rawk out" with other people. In fact, that does not look good when you're on the job...

It's a retail business. Money is the goal here, not music. Dealing with annoying customers, checking up on inventory, product arrangements, etc.

Oh dude I dont mind that, I thought there was more corporate bull**** like filling out forms and doing boring paperwork. I can stay off the floor models and amps, that's no big deal. But talking to customers and making sales on things that I actually enjoy researching and talking about would make me happy, and I'm thinking 100% paycheck wise, I mean getting paid for something you like doing in general sounds like a good idea to me.
Quote by Eric 666
Oh dude I dont mind that, I thought there was more corporate bull**** like filling out forms and doing boring paperwork.

You do have to do that...

That's standard retail procedures.

And I'm not saying that every customer is annoying, but trust me, a lot of them are. You will not like to talk to them.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
You do have to do that...

That's standard retail procedures.

And I'm not saying that every customer is annoying, but trust me, a lot of them are. You will not like to talk to them.

Oh ok, well I guess it comes with the job, I dont think I'll mind much. Funny that I dont really think that every customer is annoying, I've overheard a lot of conversations at my local GC and it seems like everyone who goes there is pretty decent, they're parents buying their kids a guitar pack or accesories, kids who've saved up a bunch of money and go there and buy a specific instrument, or old school death metal players who buy amplifiers, and sometimes, the old school blues players who come in to buy a Fender strat, that's how it is most days I've been there.
Quote by Eric 666
Oh ok, well I guess it comes with the job, I dont think I'll mind much. Funny that I dont really think that every customer is annoying, I've overheard a lot of conversations at my local GC and it seems like everyone who goes there is pretty decent, they're parents buying their kids a guitar pack or accesories, kids who've saved up a bunch of money and go there and buy a specific instrument, or old school death metal players who buy amplifiers, and sometimes, the old school blues players who come in to buy a Fender strat, that's how it is most days I've been there.

when you are there for 8 hours a day those kinda customers are few and far between. and there is only so many times you can listen to people badly play the same flavour of the month riff. not to mention the amount of people that try to distract you while their friend pockets some plecs.
although having said that there are plenty of worse jobs. it just isnt as amazing as a lot of people think. i honestly preferred the days when there was work to be done in the stock room
Ibanez RGT42FM w/duncans
Musuc Man JP6, fully loaded
Crybaby 95Q
Boss DD6
Mesa DC-5
I have an idea. Take a notepad with you and every time a kid comes in and plays in the same easy riffs that everyone plays there, keep count of them and when you're done working there you have the number of players you can pwn.
Quote by el-gilberto
when you are there for 8 hours a day those kinda customers are few and far between. and there is only so many times you can listen to people badly play the same flavour of the month riff. not to mention the amount of people that try to distract you while their friend pockets some plecs.
although having said that there are plenty of worse jobs. it just isnt as amazing as a lot of people think. i honestly preferred the days when there was work to be done in the stock room

Again that doesn't really bother me, I've heard the Enter Sandman riff played 1000 times, there was the classic case of a 12 year old kid with a Les Paul, playing Led Zeppelin, Metallica, and Aerosmith on a cranked Spider III with the gain lowered 1/2 way and the bass cranked with no mids...that didn't bother me since I knew it's gonna happen you know?
Quote by drewfromutah
I'd rather work at a small local place. Better customers, less busy, more knowledgeable employees, free time to jam on their $2000 orange amps... you know!

I don't know what kind of heaven your small local place is. The nicest guitar in mine is a Fender mexican strat and the nicest amp is a tie between an MG100 stack and a Fender Frontman FM100 or whatever.

It's a joke, seriously.

Oh and the acoustics are all squiers/seagulls
If you wanna do it, apply. I have some friends who work in the largest music store in Montreal, and they all went in with the same attitude. Now they're praying their bands get signed or are aching for the day they finish their degrees so they can get the hell out. But work is work, and a paycheque is a paycheque.
Quote by koslack
If you wanna do it, apply. I have some friends who work in the largest music store in Montreal, and they all went in with the same attitude. Now they're praying their bands get signed or are aching for the day they finish their degrees so they can get the hell out. But work is work, and a paycheque is a paycheque.

That's probably gonna be me but I dont know, I guess I just like being around the gear, maybe I'll regret it, maybe I wont, but hell I wont know if I dont try right?
Quote by Eric 666
Yeah I'm gonna apply on my Birthday in January when I turn 18.

Apply early like around the beginning of December, so if they do hire you, you can work say a couple days after your B-day, and from what I've heard you need to know someone that works there to get a job there, but that could be false.
Quote by I<3Hobos
Apply early like around the beginning of December, so if they do hire you, you can work say a couple days after your B-day, and from what I've heard you need to know someone that works there to get a job there, but that could be false.

Yeah, it helps to have references, I know a guy there who's really cool and even asked my mom once how old I was, to see if he could help me get a job there.
do you get employee discounts on guitars/amp/etc... if so i am getting a job at GC in two years lol
Go for it, it doesnt seem like you have anything to lose. If you get the job and like it, then thats great, and you found a job you wont hate going to everyday. If not, well then its up to you but you can always quit if you want.

I feel the same way about working in a Guitar shop. I dont think I'd mind dealing with all the boring stuff like paperwork and inventory etc. The job would still have alot of upsides. I'm not worried about "annoying" kids either, I'm sure that there are some, but I bet alot of people judge them as annoying when all they really are are kids who are new to guitar and dont know any better. I'm not 18 yet though, so It's still gonna be a little while for me.

If it's any help, I currently work at a video store with the same situation. I thought it'd be a great job, getting to watch movies all day and just ringing a customer up once in awhile. Then people tell you how it's gonna suck because of inventory, stocking shelves, dealing with stolen movies, customers who insist on fighting 2-week late fees, etc etc etc. Guess what, the jobs great. Sure there are some minor downsides, but be optimistic about it and you'll realize a job at Guitar Center would be better than any other job out there for you.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
I Wanna know what you meant